2L SA for summer only?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L SA for summer only?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:14 pm

Is it possible to get a 2L SA when you aren't interested in post-grad employment? I'm doing a JD-PhD at my school, will take another few years to finish the PhD after I graduate from law school, then plan to go on the academic job market from there.

I think a summer's worth of big law would be helpful for me, plus the pay definitely would not hurt. But obviously firms mostly want to recruit long-term employees, not just hire summers. I expect to have competitive credentials otherwise--grades, name brands, some decent work experience, etc. Just wondering if doing an SA is an option, won't be offended if you say no. Any firms likely to be more open to it? Advice on how to present it? (Ethics aside, I don't think I could pull off omitting/concealing given the PhD-in-progress on my resume, so please don't suggest that.) Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: 2L SA for summer only?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to get a 2L SA when you aren't interested in post-grad employment? I'm doing a JD-PhD at my school, will take another few years to finish the PhD after I graduate from law school, then plan to go on the academic job market from there.

I think a summer's worth of big law would be helpful for me, plus the pay definitely would not hurt. But obviously firms mostly want to recruit long-term employees, not just hire summers. I expect to have competitive credentials otherwise--grades, name brands, some decent work experience, etc. Just wondering if doing an SA is an option, won't be offended if you say no. Any firms likely to be more open to it? Advice on how to present it? (Ethics aside, I don't think I could pull off omitting/concealing given the PhD-in-progress on my resume, so please don't suggest that.) Thanks!

If you're going to do this, you should go to a firm with a higher no offer rate. For the sake of students actually trying to gain post-grad employment, don't go to a firm with a 100% offer rate and then not take the offer.

bdubs

Re: 2L SA for summer only?

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:57 pm

I think the only reason you might not be able to do this is whatever policies your schools have for the PhD program. At my school I think that PhDs are not allowed to take summer jobs because of conditions on the free tuition and a stipend they receive. I think they may also have research or teaching obligations over the summer.

Firms may also be more circumspect about you during the interview process, particularly if your PhD is in the humanities. But there is no sense in not seeking a job if you would want one.

Return to “Legal Employment”