Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 pm

If a request has been made to contact your references, you have the job. Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What does this mean for those of us who have heard nothing whatsoever about reference checks?

I have not yet heard anything about reference checks, but the person I called today (she was listed on the interview email) said that selections had not been completely made yet and that they were still considering the March and May classes. I specifically asked her if that meant that people who haven't received reference checks inquiries yet were still in the running and she said yes. I also tried calling HR, but they don't seem to be in the office. I would just like to know who said all offers (soft and firm) have been made. I just want closure at this point (even if it's a rejection, which is looking most probable), but it's hard to have closure when I am getting conflicting info on this forum and from the person listed on the interview email.
I'm the one who posted just above that made the call and talked to Ms. McGrath. As I've learned from all this today, I would trust what you hear on the phone from the USPTO over what you read here.

That being said, after looking back at posts from previous years, and based on what I was told in my interview, requests for reference checks are generally made right after they stop interviewing. Again, only take this as much as it's worth coming from a random internet person, but I would imagine that not receiving that request for reference checks is a bad sign. If that ends up being the case, I'm sorry and wish you better luck next round.

Edit: I missed this part
I specifically asked her if that meant that people who haven't received reference checks inquiries yet were still in the running and she said yes.
If she said that, then trust her over us. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 pm

And good luck! And don't give up if you still want the job. 2-6 interviews before an offer is not unheard of... Aside from the obvious bad news (2-6 interviews!), the good news is that eventually they got hired and they apparently love it there. It does stink that you only get one chance a year now though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 am

Here we go again! Hopefully HR is supermotivated today

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Here we go again! Hopefully HR is supermotivated today
You beat me to the punch! This is such a roller coaster of patience and frustration.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:41 am

Mostly frustration :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:07 pm

I called HR again today. Once again, no answer. Definitely frustrating.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi, guys. I've followed this thread ever since the process started this September. I was contacted for permission to contact references on Dec 22nd for the March class and they were contacted on Friday; today that processed was finalized. I'm supposed to be contacted during the next two weeks with an offer from HR; if not, I need to contact my Managing Attorney (so he checks on HR). Everything has been delayed because of the holidays, the weather and other important matters that are not necessarily related to this hiring process. Apparently they have had a hectic schedule.
I didn't ask him if they're still in the process of selecting candidates, but I believe the March class has already been selected. This has been a crazy ride! Thank you guys for keeping me sane. If not, I would have been so clueless!

Reading previous experiences here really helped me before, during and after my interview. I do believe that a good resume (good format) and a good Written Statement (very detailed, but to the point) goes a long way and, in my case, I think it weighed more than the interview itself (I felt so-so about it because of the good-cop bad-cop strategy they use. I thought my first panel went well and blamed not getting the reference check call on the second panel experience, until that Dec 22nd email arrived). But that was my experience, anyways. I wish you all the best!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm

I am also waiting to hear back from HR for the March class. I am debating about when to give my notice to my current employer. Is everyone waiting to hear from HR first before putting in their two weeks?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:16 pm

I definitely will wait until HR sends me an offer. I'm even wary of the process after HR sends the offer (documentation, security, credit checks, etc).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 pm

So I've called my 3 references, all but one has been contacted. I called hr, they said I am a selectee for either march or may. My concern is that I haven't been told anything beyond this. Should I be worried? Or am I over reacting? The use of selectee has me concerned. Also, I didn't receive an email after the request to contact my references. Thanks for any clarification. This process has been driving me up a wall!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:43 pm

If you were contacted via email, reply to it and ask for an update. Don't call HR yet if the process with your references has not finished.
However, if you were not contacted via email.. I guess all you can do is wait with the info HR has given you. It appears they're all very busy at the moment and it's just a matter of waiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm

Has anyond found out whether they've completed selecting individuals for each class? I'd really like to know whether people who haven't been contacted about references are out at this stage. It's a simple yes/no answer, I would think, but I haven't had any luck reaching HR.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I've called my 3 references, all but one has been contacted. I called hr, they said I am a selectee for either march or may. My concern is that I haven't been told anything beyond this. Should I be worried? Or am I over reacting? The use of selectee has me concerned. Also, I didn't receive an email after the request to contact my references. Thanks for any clarification. This process has been driving me up a wall!
Regarding whether you should be worried/are overreacting, I think the answer is no. At least not more than anyone else, because those of us whose references were contacted but have not yet received an offer are all at the same spot. If I had to guess, I'd say "selectee" just means they haven't decided which class to put you in (in my interview they asked whether I had a preference as to which class I would join and I said no, I'm guessing I'm in the same boat).

Again, take all this with a grain of salt, we all don't know anything because they don't tell us anything. I'm the one that got in touch with Ms. McGrath last week, and as she said, if your references got called you "got the good news". Unfortunately I think we just have to continue waiting...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:10 pm

If anyone does what the 12/22 poster above was recommended to do, and emails their Managing Attorney to check their status, please let us know what happens!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 am

March people: still haven't heard anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:March people: still haven't heard anything?
I was never told which class I was in, but I have not heard anything this week. I plan on emailing the Managing Attorney that I was in contact with tomorrow if I still haven't heard anything by that point.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I was never told which class I was in, but I have not heard anything this week. I plan on emailing the Managing Attorney that I was in contact with tomorrow if I still haven't heard anything by that point.
I am one of the 12/14s. I was contacted by a Managing Attorney, so I have a direct line, but I was never given an email. Do you all think it would be too forward to call?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am one of the 12/14s. I was contacted by a Managing Attorney, so I have a direct line, but I was never given an email. Do you all think it would be too forward to call?
I don't think it would be too forward, but maybe the frustration of not knowing what's going on is clouding my judgment..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am

While we all wait, can anyone shed some light on how they sort candidates between the January/March vs. May classes? There's some kind of distinction between the two, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:53 am

I was asked during my interview if I had a preference as to which class I would be potentially placed in (I said no). Based on that, I don't think that there is any distinction between the classes. I don't have any other facts though, so I could be wrong

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

I still haven't heard anything about reference checks. Given the uncertainty, I wonder if I still have a chance. I would love to know. I have called HR several times, to no avail. No one seems to pick up. It really would be a 30 second call. Just a yes or no answer. For those who have had luck contacting HR& , who did you call and what time did you call? It is so frustrating not knowing anything at this point, and also seeing that apparently the interview contact has said that they are still selecting people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I still haven't heard anything about reference checks. Given the uncertainty, I wonder if I still have a chance. I would love to know. I have called HR several times, to no avail. No one seems to pick up. It really would be a 30 second call. Just a yes or no answer. For those who have had luck contacting HR& , who did you call and what time did you call? It is so frustrating not knowing anything at this point, and also seeing that apparently the interview contact has said that they are still selecting people.
When I called the general HR number on the USPTO website I also received no answer. I got through when I called one of the numbers listed on the interview email, and I called during normal business hours (early afternoon I think)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Here's a different question for those of us who would be moving from very different places and backgrounds than Washington DC's: is the starting salary of 66.5k enough to pay for the cost of living in DC? I know it gets better after a few years, but I am a bit worried about how much it really amounts to in the end, after taxes, rent, etc. This question is coming from someone who would be moving alone (no family). I've been doing some research and the estimates I've seen are pretty high. I'd like to have the insight from someone who already lives there or has more insider info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's a different question for those of us who would be moving from very different places and backgrounds than Washington DC's: is the starting salary of 66.5k enough to pay for the cost of living in DC? I know it gets better after a few years, but I am a bit worried about how much it really amounts to in the end, after taxes, rent, etc. This question is coming from someone who would be moving alone (no family). I've been doing some research and the estimates I've seen are pretty high. I'd like to have the insight from someone who already lives there or has more insider info.

I would recommend a roommate for the first year if you want to be frugal, but you would probably be able to find an affordable studio. I only know prices in the city though, I imagine it's cheaper if you live closer to Alexandria.

This may be of help as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtondc/wiki/moving

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”