Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:46 pm

playpowerball wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just found out I got an interview! This will be my third try lol, hope the third time's the charm! :lol:

I heard that many people get the job after several rounds of interviews and rejections. If you got it on your 2nd or 3rd (4th?) try, what did you do differently when you got an offer? Any advice for repeat interviewers like myself?

I'm seeing a few posts on here saying that more experience means less chance of getting hired - is it because they assume an experienced lawyer wouldn't want to leave a law firm job for a GS-11 position with less responsibility? In my previous interviews, they insinuated that the job is boring and repetitive, and asked how I feel about taking a pay cut. The truth is, I'm at a small firm that doesn't pay particularly well, I don't enjoy practicing law, and I want out of private practice. If I don't get into the USPTO or another government position soon, I will most likely go back to school and/or change careers. Can't exactly say this in an interview, lol. Any thoughts on how to convey that I'd much rather be a trademark examining attorney than work at a law firm without coming off as negative or lazy?

The toughest interview questions I had were about how I will meet production quotas and deal with tough deadlines. I have not worked in an environment with routinely high production volumes and tight deadlines, and I couldn't come up with a more compelling answer than I'll work really hard. Any advice on how to handle that?

Best of luck to everyone else who applied this round!

Hey congratulations on the interview! Did you hear back via phone call or email?

Thanks! I got an e-mail with an assigned interview time and instructions for getting into the building.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:32 pm

Congrats on the interview! When did you submit your written statement?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Just got an interview offer today, my writing statement was due by October 25. Hope that helps! I know the interview offers don't come all at once, so try not to stress too much.

And keep applying. And applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Has anyone received any more interview offers?

Do they usually come out at once? I submitted my written statement on October 25th, 2017.

I haven't received an interview offer though.

Does everyone receive a written statement request, or that's the first set of chopping?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 am

I'm honestly not sure about the whole process (though I should be, like most people, this isn't my first time applying). Also, they have changed the way they hire - from several times a year to just once.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any more interview offers?

Do they usually come out at once? I submitted my written statement on October 25th, 2017.

I haven't received an interview offer though.

Does everyone receive a written statement request, or that's the first set of chopping?

Hi! From what I have heard from some of my friends at the PTO, not everyone receives a request for a written statement and the interview requests are released in waves. I also submitted my written statement on the 25th and I received a request for an interview on Nov. 2nd.

I hope you hear soon!

Return to “Legal Employment”