Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word yet on the May class? Do you guys think the HR e-mails or calls will come at the end of February? The one partner that I had to list as a reference keeps asking me if I am going or staying so that they can start looking for my replacement. :oops:

Nothing here. I am getting antsy too, the wait is killing me. I haven't said anything to my employer yet but I feel senioritis starting to set in and I just want to go. Doesn't help that I kind of dislike my current job but still need to be employed. I am approaching 2 weeks (it will be 2 weeks on Thursday) since the call about references so I hope it comes before Friday.

Anyone in the Feb. class still waiting on yours? Did you have a deadline to send the paperwork back? Is it really 2 weeks before you start, Feb 22? Most of you are probably in the middle of moving if you were not in the DC area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm in the February class and my references were all contacted, got two different offer letters (1 tentative, 1 official), I filled out some forms, was sent the link to the background check, went in and gotten fingerprinted (easy since I live in the DC metro area).

I don't know about anyone else, but things seem to be on pace for me to start Feb 22. I assume they are devoting most of their resources getting the Feb class up and rolling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word yet on the May class? Do you guys think the HR e-mails or calls will come at the end of February? The one partner that I had to list as a reference keeps asking me if I am going or staying so that they can start looking for my replacement. :oops:

Nothing here. I am getting antsy too, the wait is killing me. I haven't said anything to my employer yet but I feel senioritis starting to set in and I just want to go. Doesn't help that I kind of dislike my current job but still need to be employed. I am approaching 2 weeks (it will be 2 weeks on Thursday) since the call about references so I hope it comes before Friday.

Anyone in the Feb. class still waiting on yours? Did you have a deadline to send the paperwork back? Is it really 2 weeks before you start, Feb 22? Most of you are probably in the middle of moving if you were not in the DC area.

May class, here--only 2/3 of my references have been contacted as of yesterday, when I asked my last reference if he'd spoken to anyone from the PTO. Still very antsy because I'm holding off on finding an apartment/coordinating a 1000+ mile move until I have an offer in writing. Might have to just go for it if I haven't gotten official word by the end of the week--I'm running out of time to lock down a place!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

May class, here--only 2/3 of my references have been contacted as of yesterday, when I asked my last reference if he'd spoken to anyone from the PTO. Still very antsy because I'm holding off on finding an apartment/coordinating a 1000+ mile move until I have an offer in writing. Might have to just go for it if I haven't gotten official word by the end of the week--I'm running out of time to lock down a place!

Same, only 2 of my references were called. Maybe they just call 2 and pick them at random. I am moving from California so I have to figure that out too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Same, only 2 of my references were called. Maybe they just call 2 and pick them at random. I am moving from California so I have to figure that out too.

May also. 3 out of my 4 references are in the same office--2 of them were contacted, the third wasn't. AFAIK, my final reference also was not contacted. I'd be pretty willing to bet they only contact 2 unless they feel like they really need to contact any additional.

I haven't heard anything official yet, either. Thursday will be 2 weeks since my references were contacted. I'm anxious to hear but luckily I don't have to worry about moving. Good luck to y'all who have to get that settled.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:05 pm

May class: Many of us are anxious given that we want to wind down at our current job but can't. Others are antsy because they don't know whether to keep looking for other jobs. Many of us also have to move to NOVA from great distances. The one thing I can say for certain is that it appears that, so far, everything is in place for all of us that received the call for the May class.

For those currently employed, when do you plan on working your last day? I was thinking of working until the end March and then using April to get everything ready, finalize a rental agreement, ship my car and furniture, etc, etc. Am I cutting it too short? On the other hand, I would not like to be two months without a paycheck.

Best regards,

Paul

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:May class: Many of us are anxious given that we want to wind down at our current job but can't. Others are antsy because they don't know whether to keep looking for other jobs. Many of us also have to move to NOVA from great distances. The one thing I can say for certain is that it appears that, so far, everything is in place for all of us that received the call for the May class.

For those currently employed, when do you plan on working your last day? I was thinking of working until the end March and then using April to get everything ready, finalize a rental agreement, ship my car and furniture, etc, etc. Am I cutting it too short? On the other hand, I would not like to be two months without a paycheck.

Best regards,

Paul

Same plan here. Work until end of March, look for an apartment around mid march, ship everything in April and move in to apartment last week or so of April.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:41 pm

I plan on doing the same. Many thanks to all for the candid responses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Do you guys know of any ways to get some volunteer trademark experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:04 am

In regards to those applying, they love confidence and a commitment to quality vs quantity as a balance.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:07 am

See if your law school will help you get involved. The agency hires a lot out of their former interns and former participants in the law school clinic.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:23 am

Yes, the most important reference is the one you list as a supervisor. This is the one reference were you are limited. All the other references could be close friends and peers. I would also recommend against coaching your references. I believe that the Managing Attorney could see through that.

To those that didn't get in this round, keep trying.

See you guys in May, :wink:

Mike

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:45 am

Does anyone plan on using the VRE? Is it reliable?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:43 am

From what I know, the VRE is very reliable and runs about every thirty minutes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 am

I just found this thread. The idea of being a trademark examiner at USPTO is something I am interested in. It seems a decent amount of people that post in this thread have been offered jobs.

Is it hard to land a trademark examining job? Is it highly competitive? Is it more competitive than applying to be a lawyer at DOJ or SEC or other big attorney agencies?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For experience, contact a law school clinic. See if your law school or your local law school will help you get involved. I think they hire a lot out of their USPTO former interns and former participants in the law school clinic. The clinics are relatively new and great feeders for the examiner positions.

This would be good for someone who is still in law school, but what of those who are have already graduated? Any tips?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:06 pm

Has anyone offered the May start date heard back about an official offer?

Does anyone know precisely when in "early May" we would be starting?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone offered the May start date heard back about an official offer?

Does anyone know precisely when in "early May" we would be starting?

I've not heard officially yet. May 2 was the date the managing attorney gave me when we spoke about my references.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:42 pm

May class offers are going out. Just got a call about it. They will send an initial informal offer letter then later a formal letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:50 pm

Has anyone from the May class received the final offer/cleared the OF 306 form? Does anyone how long it takes to be cleared by the Security Office in order to be issued the final offer? All these steps and waiting times make one just a little nervous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:10 pm

I still haven't received the final offer either. Hang in there! We are nearing the end of the hiring process. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just found this thread. The idea of being a trademark examiner at USPTO is something I am interested in. It seems a decent amount of people that post in this thread have been offered jobs.

Is it hard to land a trademark examining job? Is it highly competitive? Is it more competitive than applying to be a lawyer at DOJ or SEC or other big attorney agencies?

I would say that it is competitive because there are no shortage of applicants. Many have tried for several years before landing positions and some have yet to secure employment with the PTO. I think that it probably largely depends on your relevant experience and luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone from the May class received the final offer/cleared the OF 306 form? Does anyone how long it takes to be cleared by the Security Office in order to be issued the final offer? All these steps and waiting times make one just a little nervous.

I submitted my OF306 nearly 2 weeks ago and there has been radio silence ever since.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone from the May class received the final offer/cleared the OF 306 form? Does anyone how long it takes to be cleared by the Security Office in order to be issued the final offer? All these steps and waiting times make one just a little nervous.

I submitted my OF306 nearly 2 weeks ago and there has been radio silence ever since.

Same here. I figure we all have the job even if tenative and the language in the letter says its only contingent on reviewing and filling out the OF 306 form which we have done so the formal offer is coming. I wonder if the formal offer will be sent by mail or e-mail. I am moving forward with my moving plans and apartment shopping and will still give notice at my current job in mid March as planned whether I have the formal letter in hand or not. We should by then...I hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Same here. I figure we all have the job even if tenative and the language in the letter says its only contingent on reviewing and filling out the OF 306 form which we have done so the formal offer is coming. I wonder if the formal offer will be sent by mail or e-mail. I am moving forward with my moving plans and apartment shopping and will still give notice at my current job in mid March as planned whether I have the formal letter in hand or not. We should by then...I hope.

I'm also wondering how it will be sent. I think a lot of the benefits stuff can be done online, but I'm sure there's actual paperwork that needs to be filled out and signed beforehand, too. I anticipate receiving snail mail at some point but I could be wrong.

Return to “Legal Employment”