Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:26 am

I was also told the snow was delaying things. So reference contacts, HR, notifying people, etc has all been delayed to some extent.

Re: March vs May: I think there is no difference between "quality" of candidates. March class was hired directly by individual managers, so very subjective. May class is probably the most qualified people that were not hired by individual managers that were selected by the group as a whole.

All speculation on my part.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:33 pm

I received a call this morning getting approval to contact my references for the February class, so if you're still waiting a call may be coming.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:37 pm

has anyone else received a call/email this afternoon?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:04 pm

Radio silence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Keep faith, remember that they are still recovering from the crazy snow storm, and the individual managers may still be out of work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:14 am

Just wondering, those with offers, what did you talk about when they asked about doing volume work efficiently? I'm a law clerk, and I don't know that this experience translated well. Thanks very much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:02 am

Does GS-11 really require 9 months post-jd experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does GS-11 really require 9 months post-jd experience?

I don't think so, it is my understanding that GS-11 is an entry level position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering, those with offers, what did you talk about when they asked about doing volume work efficiently? I'm a law clerk, and I don't know that this experience translated well. Thanks very much.

I'm the first one who posted about getting an email about references the other day. I spent 2 years as a law clerk to an ALJ and over 6 years as a staff attorney at a federal appeals court. I was a little nervous about how to handle questions about the production requirements because my experience doesn't really translate either. I just really hammered that I met/exceeded my monthly production requirements at the fed. ct., that my prior positions helped me develop the ability to balance quality and production, and that I was ready to take on the challenges of a fast-paced work environment because I take more personal satisfaction in my work when I'm able to accomplish a lot of tasks (one of the interviewers had said something about looking for people who take personal satisfaction in their work). I mentioned that one of the downsides of my prior positions was that some cases took a long time to work up because of the subject matter, and that I didn't feel as accomplished in my work in those situations as when I was able to churn through cases quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:45 am

At the interview, they told me that the position is entry level and GS-11 is locked in as your starting salary. As an entry level position, I don't think there is any experience requirement.

As for the question about doing volume work, I talked about working under deadlines, working under stress, etc. Even if you have never done volume work, I think showing them you can work well under deadline pressure is what they want to hear.

This is a second career for me, so I had more job experience to pull on to show I could do volume work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:

That's correct. In my first post-grad position, I was a GS-9 for 2 months, until I found out I passed the bar. I was then bumped to GS-11, which is an entry-level barred attorney.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:08 pm

For anyone who got an email/call, have any of your references been contacted? Has anyone received an official offer yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who got an email/call, have any of your references been contacted? Has anyone received an official offer yet?

All of my references were contacted, and I was contacted and told all of them went well, but apparently there is now a wait for an "official offer," which is out of the hands of the managing attorneys. This is pretty rough cause its time to start looking for place...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:00 pm

Ugh. I know one of my references has been contacted but that is all I've heard. The government has had a delayed opening yesterday and today, so that might be slowing things up, even for my references who are all in the DC area. I just want to move forward as quickly as possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:03 pm

As far as I know, mine have not yet been contacted. I gave all my references a heads up that they may be contacted, but I've not heard a peep back. I was contacted for the May class, which is likely to take longer because they want to get the Feb/March people squared away first.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As far as I know, mine have not yet been contacted. I gave all my references a heads up that they may be contacted, but I've not heard a peep back. I was contacted for the May class, which is likely to take longer because they want to get the Feb/March people squared away first.

Makes sense, I also gave personal contact numbers for my references (with permission of course) as well as work contacts, so it might have made it easier to get in touch with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who got an email/call, have any of your references been contacted? Has anyone received an official offer yet?

All of my references were contacted, and I was contacted and told all of them went well, but apparently there is now a wait for an "official offer," which is out of the hands of the managing attorneys. This is pretty rough cause its time to start looking for place...

I know two of mine have been contacted thus far. This wait is killer--I just want to know for sure, already!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know two of mine have been contacted thus far. This wait is killer--I just want to know for sure, already!

Does anyone from past groups happen to know how "certain" the position is once they start contacting your references, and how long that final offer took?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:44 pm

I've had my references contacted for two other Federal jobs. The process is very formulaic - "Can you confirm that X was employed with Y from X, 2014 - Y, 2015?" etc. They *might* ask a subjective question - "Was X a good performer?" but from my experience this is rare. Long story short, if they contact your references, and you did not lie on your resume about title/dates of employment, you will get the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:05 pm

I just got a call about references for the May class. So they are still calling. :D Good luck everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got a call about references for the May class. So they are still calling. :D Good luck everyone!

Great news!!!!

I haven't been called yet... I wish they would wrap it up! I'll keep hope alive through the week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As far as I know, mine have not yet been contacted. I gave all my references a heads up that they may be contacted, but I've not heard a peep back. I was contacted for the May class, which is likely to take longer because they want to get the Feb/March people squared away first.

Me again. I just got word that 2 of mine just got calls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I thought so too. But check out this new vacancy announcement for the USPTO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From what I am understanding, that isn't for a trademark examiner position, it seems like its part of the Office of General Counsel, but I read it super quick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From what I am understanding, that isn't for a trademark examiner position, it seems like its part of the Office of General Counsel, but I read it super quick.

Ah I see. I knew it was for a different position but I didn't realize that OGC sets its own standards for GS-11 through 13.

Return to “Legal Employment”