Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:18 pm

I replied on Friday, 11/20. Haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Does anyone have any updates or stats on this? Ie how many positions are available and how many are coming in for interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:40 pm

Does anyone have any updates or stats on this? Ie how many positions are available and how many are coming in for interviews?

I don't have any updates yet either and I replied to the request for additional information on 11/19 as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:46 pm

I haven't heard anything either and I replied to the request for information on 11/16.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:29 pm

I got an email on the 27th asking for proof that I passed the bar exam, no request for a writing sample or whatever. I actually have a different government job I just started so I'm just going to ignore this, but there's still movement, apparently, so keep your heads up!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got an email on the 27th asking for proof that I passed the bar exam, no request for a writing sample or whatever. I actually have a different government job I just started so I'm just going to ignore this, but there's still movement, apparently, so keep your heads up!

Why don't you write them back and let them know that you are no longer interested?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:55 am

Was just looking back at the job description , didn't remember / realize that the max promotion potential for this job posting is 11 and telework is not authorized :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:23 am

If anyone from the PTO is strolling this board, it would be great if you could let us know once all the emails offering interviews have been sent. I'd rather not look for something that isn't coming.

Thanks very much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got an email on the 27th asking for proof that I passed the bar exam, no request for a writing sample or whatever. I actually have a different government job I just started so I'm just going to ignore this, but there's still movement, apparently, so keep your heads up!
Where are you working now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Why don't you write them back and let them know that you are no longer interested?

I will, "ignore" was just a poor word choice on my part.

Anonymous User wrote:
Where are you working now?

State/county/local government in a different city.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was just looking back at the job description , didn't remember / realize that the max promotion potential for this job posting is 11 and telework is not authorized :(

I'm hoping that the posting isn't fully accurate because a previous identical job postings said 13 or 14. Go back one page, someone that interviewed previously said that it doesn't top out at 11.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:53 pm

It is definitely curious ... others agencies (DHS, VA, etc.) promote to 14, and the positions are typically advertised GS-905 11/14. OTOH, could be an OPM error.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:55 pm

The posting definitely emphasized the no telework option and max promo potential of 11. Other positions may be eligible to hit 13/14 but this particular one doesn't appear to which makes me think it is not an error.

If I get an interview I would be happy to let you all know.

However as interviews were supposedly starting today I won't be holding my breath.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:37 pm

I'm just going to throw this out there. I think that they are still going to be offering interviews. In their most recent rounds they didn't extend interview offers for 2 weeks after the end of the additional statement period and that was without any holidays in between. So if you haven't gotten an interview offer (like myself) I think there is still cause to hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The posting definitely emphasized the no telework option and max promo potential of 11. Other positions may be eligible to hit 13/14 but this particular one doesn't appear to which makes me think it is not an error.

If I get an interview I would be happy to let you all know.

However as interviews were supposedly starting today I won't be holding my breath.

What makes me think that the posting is wrong is that the posting from last year is identical and lists 14 as promotional potential. Has the same text in blue that was emphasized this time.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/PrintPreview/386211700
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/417599900

Hopefully someone that has an interview this week will be able to give is more info. Maxing out at GS-11 would really be disappointing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:46 pm

Submitted my KSA on 11/19
Received interview request today.

Has anyone requested a phone or skype interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:14 am

Invited for an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Invited for an interview.

Congrats!

What day did you submit your writing sample? I'm wondering if they are still making their way through the samples in the order in which received.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 am

I interviewed in August 2015 and did not receive an offer. I have to admit, it feels slightly awkward showing up for the same interview four months later. Does anyone have experience with this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:07 pm

After your interview where there any particular questions that you felt stumped by? Did you interview early or late in the available window?

I myself haven't had any experience like that, but if it's a large unit/group I don't think there's anything to feel awkward about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed in August 2015 and did not receive an offer. I have to admit, it feels slightly awkward showing up for the same interview four months later. Does anyone have experience with this?

No reason to feel awkward. Different interviewers make different hiring decisions. You likely have a clean slate with these interviewers, plus you have some idea of the questions they will ask. That's a good position for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed in August 2015 and did not receive an offer. I have to admit, it feels slightly awkward showing up for the same interview four months later. Does anyone have experience with this?

I also interviewed in the last round. I thought it went great, but didn't get an offer.
I noticed that the attorney wasn't listed in the interview email this time--which makes me think it might be a different group?

Tips to new candidates: be able to answer "why you want to be an examiner" in 10 different ways.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Received an interview email today. I sent in my writing sample on 11/20.

If anyone cares to share, it would be great to have some idea of how the interview is structured, and the questions asked.

Thank you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:32 pm

Question: did you guys write your statements in KSA format?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question: did you guys write your statements in KSA format?

Not entirely sure what the KSA format looks like.

I set out each question in bold, and then answered each question, one by one. The PTO looks at this as a writing sample, so I wrote out full answers, no bullet points or references to my resume. I tried to show how my past experiences satisfied the skills the PTO is looking for. Ended up just over 4 pages. I received an interview request.

Return to “Legal Employment”