Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:32 am

For repeat applicants, what are you doing or have done to make yourself a more attractive candidate for employment?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:44 pm

The application process takes a few months--
Job opened: July,1 2015
700 Applicants, 100 interviews, and 20 spots.
Essay due: ~4 weeks after application, Early Aug.
Interview offer: ~6 weeks after application, Mid. Aug.
Interview window: ~7 to 8 weeks after application, Late Aug. to Mid. Sept.
Offers: ~10 weeks after application (1 to 2 weeks after close of interviews), Mid Sept.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Current 3L. When should I look to apply for this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Current 3L. When should I look to apply for this?

The latest vacancy announcement closed in October. Another isn't likely to post this year, so perhaps sometime in the new year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:34 pm

"Referred but not selected." Hilariously, I was selected and interviewed for the position in September. Perhaps they don't like repeats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"Referred but not selected."

I also interviewed in the last round. I thought it went great, but no offer.
When did your status change?
Did you change up your cover letter/resume?
Mine changed to "Received" a few days after I applied and hasn't changed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:22 am

Did not change my resume - cover letter tweaked to highlight my interest in working for the Feds (they seemed to harp on this during the interview - almost offensively so: "people tend to leave as soon as they complete the training period ... what's to stop you from doing the same?" etc.). However, I thought the interview went pretty well so who knows. I received the email last night at 10pm (bizarre) saying I was referred but not selected.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:57 pm

The "Referred but not selected" emails were regarding the previous job posting that had interviews in September. The October one has not been referred yet as they are not referred until after the essay/writing sample is requested which will probably will be in next week or two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The "Referred but not selected" emails were regarding the previous job posting that had interviews in September. The October one has not been referred yet as they are not referred until after the essay/writing sample is requested which will probably will be in next week or two.

The writing samples have already been requested and the date by which they were to be submitted has passed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The "Referred but not selected" emails were regarding the previous job posting that had interviews in September. The October one has not been referred yet as they are not referred until after the essay/writing sample is requested which will probably will be in next week or two.

The writing samples have already been requested and the date by which they were to be submitted has passed.

:(

My dreams are crushed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

:(

My dreams are crushed.

Don't give up. I won't. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"Referred but not selected"

My rejection for the July posting said: "You were not selected for this position."

In an attempt to keep hope alive, was your "Referred but not selected" for this round or the previous round?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The writing samples have already been requested and the date by which they were to be submitted has passed.

Any idea what gets you into the group of folks from whom writing samples are requested?

I have no trademark experience. On the other hand, I have 2 years DOJ honors program clerkship (concluded during government hiring freeze), plus current federal clerkship (3 years), with previous summer or semester internships with three federal agencies. I emphasized my commitment to public service and writing experience. Cum laude grad, w/ law review. Live in the area.

Any realistic chance in future round?

AlexandraJane

Postby AlexandraJane » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The writing samples have already been requested and the date by which they were to be submitted has passed.

Anyone know if it matters how early you submitted your application? That is, if you applied on the last day, is it possible the "slots" for writing samples were already allocated to earlier applicants?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Any idea what gets you into the group of folks from whom writing samples are requested?

I have no trademark experience. On the other hand, I have 2 years DOJ honors program clerkship (concluded during government hiring freeze), plus current federal clerkship (3 years), with previous summer or semester internships with three federal agencies. I emphasized my commitment to public service and writing experience. Cum laude grad, w/ law review. Live in the area.

Any realistic chance in future round?

I'm not sure of your chances, but the problem might be that while you have a demonstrated commitment to federal service, it isn't necessarily to PTO. Trust me, there are lots of people in this area who want nothing more than to work for a federal agency, but don't have any interest in the kind of work that each agency does and if hired, it shows very quickly and those people tend to leave after a couple of years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure of your chances, but the problem might be that while you have a demonstrated commitment to federal service, it isn't necessarily to PTO. Trust me, there are lots of people in this area who want nothing more than to work for a federal agency, but don't have any interest in the kind of work that each agency does and if hired, it shows very quickly and those people tend to leave after a couple of years.

Thanks very much - if the posting appears again, I'll try to address this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Has anyone been extended an interview from the latest hiring round? I haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:31 am

I applied to the last round and was extended an interview, but I haven't heard anything about this most recent posting yet either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to the last round and was extended an interview, but I haven't heard anything about this most recent posting yet either.

From the October round, correct? How did your interview go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied to the last round and was extended an interview, but I haven't heard anything about this most recent posting yet either.

I thought it went well but I didn't receive an offer so not really sure. So has anyone heard anything from the October posting?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I thought it went well but I didn't receive an offer so not really sure. So has anyone heard anything from the October posting?

Congrats on at least getting to the interview stage. I haven't made it that far yet. You must have had great answers to the KSA's. I haven't heard anything from the October round either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:22 am

Any updates for October :?:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:09 am

Just received an email requesting a writing sample. I applied in October.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:24 am

I just got an email as well. Does anyone know how promotions work with this position? Most attorney positions with the Fed top out at gs-14, but the posting only lists promotional potential as GS-11.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received an email requesting a writing sample. I applied in October.

Ditto.

Return to “Legal Employment”