Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nyulaw

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby nyulaw » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:43 pm

Any idea why it's taking so long for interview invites to be sent?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:07 am

My assumption is that it is two things:
1 - it's summer. So maybe there is a delay due to vacations, etc
2 - the last cycle was turned around as quickly as it was because it was right before the holidays so Possibly there was a tighter deadline?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 pm

Received an email invitation today for a first round interview. Has anyone had any experience requesting phone/video interviews for this position? I don't want to jeopardize my chances, but the date they proposed is very soon. I live far away and it would be hard for me to take the time off work. I notice they didn't offer phone interviews in the e-mail though. I was hoping I could phone or video interview for the first round, and of course come in person if they invite me back. Opinions/past experiences? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:34 pm

Congrats! I also heard back about an interview this morning. Luckily, I am close by.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:13 pm

Did you guys submit your writing samples early on or near the end of the deadline? I submitted mine very late in the deadline. I'm hoping there's still an opportunity to hear back about an interview....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you guys submit your writing samples early on or near the end of the deadline? I submitted mine very late in the deadline. I'm hoping there's still an opportunity to hear back about an interview....

(i'm the one who asked about phone interviews earlier) I submitted my written statement very early. I'm a re-applicant. Applied 2 years ago and was rejected after the first round of interviews. Last year I tried again, turning in my statement close to the deadline and was not asked for an interview. I don't know if there's any connection, but I wondered the same thing myself when I wasn't asked for an interview last year and made a point to turn it in right away this go around. Here's hoping third time is the charm!

Hopefully it's just a fluke and yours will come out soon. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks for the response! Here's to hoping for the best...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received an email invitation today for a first round interview. Has anyone had any experience requesting phone/video interviews for this position? I don't want to jeopardize my chances, but the date they proposed is very soon. I live far away and it would be hard for me to take the time off work. I notice they didn't offer phone interviews in the e-mail though. I was hoping I could phone or video interview for the first round, and of course come in person if they invite me back. Opinions/past experiences? Thanks!

Being on the west coast, I was also wondering this. Can't hurt to ask right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:12 am

In response to the poster above, I turned in my writing sample a few hours before the deadline and received an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:37 pm

I turned in my written statement on the first day. I do not think it matters when you turn it in.

jyh220

Postby jyh220 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:05 pm

This is my second time applying, and I haven't heard back for interviews the first time and still didn't hear back this time around. Both times I've been asked to submit a written statement, so I'm assuming that I passed the initial application screening process. Anyone who's heard back for interviews or are now practicing as a trademark examining attorney, could you please share some tips on writing a passing written statement? For example, did you divide the statements into three separate parts according to the categories? Did you write from scratch, use past materials, or both? How many pages?
I'm not sure what I did wrong the past two times. The second time, I submitted a heavily edited version of my first statement. Next time, I should just rewrite instead of edit... :/

Good luck to those who got their interviews!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:36 pm

I would recommend reading up on KSA (knowledge, skills, and abilities) writing. There are actually books on this, and I find it to still be relevant even though the government claims they are phasing out the KSA. Much like writing a Federal resume, making the cut often involves a bit of procedural finesse. I found that caving into what I used to consider some of the most ludicrous formatting/stylistic things has helped a great deal. At this point, applying for Federal jobs has almost become formulaic for me. Once you get the hang of it (writing Fed resume, writing KSA) it just kind of "clicks". That said, just like any other job, no "formula" is going to compensate for irrelevant experience or other red flags.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:17 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:32 am

Has anyone interviewed yet?

jyh220

Postby jyh220 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would recommend reading up on KSA (knowledge, skills, and abilities) writing. There are actually books on this, and I find it to still be relevant even though the government claims they are phasing out the KSA. Much like writing a Federal resume, making the cut often involves a bit of procedural finesse. I found that caving into what I used to consider some of the most ludicrous formatting/stylistic things has helped a great deal. At this point, applying for Federal jobs has almost become formulaic for me. Once you get the hang of it (writing Fed resume, writing KSA) it just kind of "clicks". That said, just like any other job, no "formula" is going to compensate for irrelevant experience or other red flags.

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely check it out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:04 pm

Interviewed. They will not be conducting callbacks. So this was the first and only round of interviews. Good luck to everyone who was participating. Please post if you hear any news - I will do the same!

IPAtty

Postby IPAtty » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed. They will not be conducting callbacks. So this was the first and only round of interviews. Good luck to everyone who was participating. Please post if you hear any news - I will do the same!

Thank you! Good to know! My interview is scheduled later on. Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:15 pm

Thank you for the update!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:25 pm

Did they say when they will start extending offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did they say when they will start extending offers?

I will piggyback on this question and ask if anyone has been told the potential start date or other useful information from the interviewers/HR. Thanks again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:14 pm

They stated that they will be informing people between the middle and end of September and that the current start date is November 2, but that is subject to changes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Does anyone know how many people they invited for an interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:12 pm

They said 100 people were invited for interviews. I'm assuming that was approximate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:45 pm

Anyone hear anything yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:11 pm

All quiet. I believe today was the last day for interviews. Hopefully we hear next week but one can never be so sure. I am a current fed, and in my experience, these things take time.

Return to “Legal Employment”