Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who received an offer, are you planning on living in Alexandria and immediate surrounding area or in DC? Any difficulty with the apartment search?

I am already a local (DC), so I cannot comment on your second question. I just wanted to chime in to encourage you to find a place off of the yellow line if you plan to commute via public transportation. The Metro has had a notoriously terrible year as far as service goes, so the less complicated your trip as far as transfers are concerned, the better. Separately, although the blue line services the King Street stop by the PTO, its service and timing have been very unreliable after some scheduling cuts in the fall. With that said, I'll have a 50-minute Metro commute, so I should take my own advice soon when my lease is up...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those who received an offer, are you planning on living in Alexandria and immediate surrounding area or in DC? Any difficulty with the apartment search?

I am already a local (DC), so I cannot comment on your second question. I just wanted to chime in to encourage you to find a place off of the yellow line if you plan to commute via public transportation. The Metro has had a notoriously terrible year as far as service goes, so the less complicated your trip as far as transfers are concerned, the better. Separately, although the blue line services the King Street stop by the PTO, its service and timing has been very unreliable after some scheduling cuts in the fall. With that said, I'll have a 50-minute Metro commute, so I should take my own advice soon when my lease is up...

Thanks! Which stop do you get off for the PTO on the yellow line?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am already a local (DC), so I cannot comment on your second question. I just wanted to chime in to encourage you to find a place off of the yellow line if you plan to commute via public transportation. The Metro has had a notoriously terrible year as far as service goes, so the less complicated your trip as far as transfers are concerned, the better. Separately, although the blue line services the King Street stop by the PTO, its service and timing has been very unreliable after some scheduling cuts in the fall. With that said, I'll have a 50-minute Metro commute, so I should take my own advice soon when my lease is up...

Thanks! Which stop do you get off for the PTO on the yellow line?

Also King Street! Both lines run through.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:21 pm

No rejection letter on my end either, seems odd not to bother sending letters just as a courtesy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:28 pm

A question for the May ladies/gents: has anyone heard anything since submitting the Form 306 to HR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A question for the May ladies/gents: has anyone heard anything since submitting the Form 306 to HR?

No, I have not heard anything since submitting the form or received anything in the mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A question for the May ladies/gents: has anyone heard anything since submitting the Form 306 to HR?

No, I have not heard anything since submitting the form or received anything in the mail.

Neither have I. The email said that the offer was tentative until the form was received/reviewed, so assuming everything is fine I think we're set. Apparently the individual office managers are supposed to send ouy a little more info before the start date.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Neither have I. The email said that the offer was tentative until the form was received/reviewed, so assuming everything is fine I think we're set. Apparently the individual office managers are supposed to send ouy a little more info before the start date.

Thank you both! Glad to know that I shouldn't freak out just yet. I'm holding out on letting my current job know until I hear back, which is making me antsy :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:32 pm

Anyone receive a rejection letter yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 15, 2015 1:57 pm

Did anyone ever get a rejection or does the USPTO simply not do that anymore?

OutoftheWoods

Postby OutoftheWoods » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:20 pm

When do they recruit for the Class of 2016? It sounds like they recruit only 3 months in advance so i guess it wouldnt be until 2016? i just saw a posting today but you need bar admission by july 30, 2015, so im assuming that's not a mistake and its for this year not next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Job postings have historically been posted in November for January interviews, February offers, and March or May start dates. However, they are accepting applications now (until July 9) in order to bring a new class in before year end. I'm not sure if this will be in addition to or in place of the usual hiring period.

OutoftheWoods

Postby OutoftheWoods » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:10 pm

Thanks! Dang I was really excited that i got in before everyone else haha. i'll be on the lookout in november. may seems like a super early start date considering bar results aren't even close to being in, but i guess they make exceptions?

IPAtty

Postby IPAtty » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:26 pm

Has anyone heard anything from the USPTO, such as a request for more info or a personal statement yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:35 am

Just got a request for a written statement an hour ago. To be honest, it's been a while since I've written a personal statement so I'm not exactly sure how to tackle this.

IPAtty

Postby IPAtty » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:58 pm

I got the written statement request at midnight, too. So good! They are actually moving to the next step.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:19 pm

I reapplied for the position for this upcoming class, and just received a message to submit a personal statement (again) lol. Fingers crossed for a more successful go this time!

A little background - Class of 2014, About 3 years TM experience as a paralegal/attorney I applied for the Spring 2015 class, submitted the personal statement, got to the first interview, and didn't move forward (nor did I receive a rejection letter).

FLattorney13

Postby FLattorney13 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:41 pm

Anyone know how many spots available and how many applicants?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:48 pm

20 spots, about 700 applications.

IPAtty

Postby IPAtty » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:27 am

At least there are 20 openings. I was not sure what a "few positions" meant. Thank you for posting that info! I am a re-applicant as well. I made it through three interviews in January, but did not get an offer.

FLattorney13

Postby FLattorney13 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Has anyone received an invite for first round interviews? Trying to gauge if they have reviewed all the written statements.

Bubs0610

Postby Bubs0610 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:04 pm

FLattorney13 wrote:Has anyone received an invite for first round interviews? Trying to gauge if they have reviewed all the written statements.

I was wondering the same -- in the last round of hiring, the first round interviews went out within 5-6 days of the written statement deadline.

IPAtty

Postby IPAtty » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:21 pm

Bubs0610 wrote:
FLattorney13 wrote:Has anyone received an invite for first round interviews? Trying to gauge if they have reviewed all the written statements.

I was wondering the same -- in the last round of hiring, the first round interviews went out within 5-6 days of the written statement deadline.

For the last round, it was right around the holidays. Hopefully, it should be by the end of this week.

PTU

Postby PTU » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:15 pm

IPAtty wrote:
Bubs0610 wrote:

For the last round, it was right around the holidays. Hopefully, it should be by the end of this week.

Word this morning was that interview invitations had not yet been sent out, but potentially could be extended some time this week.

IPAtty

Postby IPAtty » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:32 pm

PTU wrote:
IPAtty wrote:
Bubs0610 wrote:

Word this morning was that interview invitations had not yet been sent out, but potentially could be extended some time this week.

Thank you for the update! I appreciate it.

Return to “Legal Employment”