Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:01 pm

They hire anyone straight out of law school? I"ll have top third grades from a T 20 w/2 years experiences as a trademark law clerk, and I would love to do this...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They hire anyone straight out of law school? I"ll have top third grades from a T 20 w/2 years experiences as a trademark law clerk, and I would love to do this...

I think in the last few years they've posted the application in November for positions starting in March and May. So due to the timeline the job doesn't start until you've necessarily been out of school for awhile. But otherwise, yes, I know someone who was hired in the application cycle immediately following law school graduation. Also, you have to submit a certificate of bar admission in any state so you need to be sworn in by the time you apply.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:48 pm

Has anyone in the March class figured out living situations yet? I'm looking to share an apartment in either Old Town or maybe Arlington but I've had a tough time finding a clean place with some good people that's affordable. Anyone have any luck?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Has anyone in the May class not received a formal offer and/or not had their references called?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone in the May class not received a formal offer and/or not had their references called?

I have not received a formal offer, but my references have been called.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:49 am

For those who received formal offers, we're you given a deadline to respond? I assume the response deadline for the March class was short, but I'm curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Any movement?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do they send an official rejection? It might just be an updated status on usajobs

I got my rejection letter (via email) on February 26 last year. I am expecting it this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone in the May class not received a formal offer and/or not had their references called?

Did you end up hearing back?

I recently heard the process this year is delayed due to numerous snow days. But I doubt that means anything for those of us who never heard back.

I'm also wondering - for those who received offers, is this a second try for any of you? Wondering if there's a point for me to apply again next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement?

I received an official email two days ago saying that I have been selected for the May class, and I should be getting a call within 1-3 days to move forward with an official job offer and any other information needed to begin the hiring process. All the best everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement?

I received an official email two days ago saying that I have been selected for the May class, and I should be getting a call within 1-3 days to move forward with an official job offer and any other information needed to begin the hiring process. All the best everyone!

Congrats! My goodness they're drawing this out, though. Eventually you hit a point where you'd kind of like it to be done and done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received an official email two days ago saying that I have been selected for the May class, and I should be getting a call within 1-3 days to move forward with an official job offer and any other information needed to begin the hiring process. All the best everyone!

Congrats! My goodness they're drawing this out, though. Eventually you hit a point where you'd kind of like it to be done and done.

I received the same message. An official email informing me that a formal job offer will be extended haha, and weeks after receiving an informal job offer. Welcome to the government. Nonetheless, very excited that things are moving forward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:30 pm

Anyone see changes on USAjobs status?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I recently heard the process this year is delayed due to numerous snow days. But I doubt that means anything for those of us who never heard back.

I'm also wondering - for those who received offers, is this a second try for any of you? Wondering if there's a point for me to apply again next year.

I applied two years ago and didn't make it past the first round of interviews. I applied this time around and received an offer for the May class. I would definitely apply again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I applied two years ago and didn't make it past the first round of interviews. I applied this time around and received an offer for the May class. I would definitely apply again.

Out of curiosity, what did you do in the meantime? Something IP-related, I assume?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:41 pm

I have not received a formal offer, but my references have been called.[/quote]

I'm also wondering - for those who received offers, is this a second try for any of you? Wondering if there's a point for me to apply again next year.[/quote]

I applied two years ago and didn't make it past the first round of interviews. I applied this time around and received an offer for the May class. I would definitely apply again.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, what did you do in the meantime? Something IP-related, I assume?[/quote]

No, went back to my previous position which was not IP related. Don't think previous IP experience is weighed that heavily with this position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have not received a formal offer, but my references have been called.

I'm also wondering - for those who received offers, is this a second try for any of you? Wondering if there's a point for me to apply again next year.[/quote]

I applied two years ago and didn't make it past the first round of interviews. I applied this time around and received an offer for the May class. I would definitely apply again.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, what did you do in the meantime? Something IP-related, I assume?[/quote]

No, went back to my previous position which was not IP related. Don't think previous IP experience is weighed that heavily with this position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Has anyone received a rejection letter? Or have an idea of when they will be sent?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:06 pm

I'm guessing its procedural, once they get final confirmation on offers, the letters or just a usajobs status update gets put in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:44 am

For those of us who are starting tomorrow, what are you planning on wearing? Anybody know what the dress code is? I don't want to show up in a suit and look overdressed, but I also don't want to risk being underdressed. Also, what time are we supposed to show up and where should we report? I've received minimal communication since I was officially hired and the HR person I asked last week never responded to me.

I realize that these are questions I should have asked sooner, but I was driving across the country all week and moving into my new apartment and they just slipped my mind with all of the other stuff I've had to deal with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:28 am

I am not wearing a suit, as no one that interviewed me wore one. We are supposed to show up at 8:30.

Your formal letter was probably misplaced. If you look on the website you will see a new employees section with helpful info...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am not wearing a suit, as no one that interviewed me wore one. We are supposed to show up at 8:30.

Your formal letter was probably misplaced. If you look on the website you will see a new employees section with helpful info...

Edit.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am not wearing a suit, as no one that interviewed me wore one. We are supposed to show up at 8:30.

Thanks. I just checked my spam folder and the email was in there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of us who are starting tomorrow, what are you planning on wearing? Anybody know what the dress code is? I don't want to show up in a suit and look overdressed, but I also don't want to risk being underdressed. Also, what time are we supposed to show up and where should we report? I've received minimal communication since I was officially hired and the HR person I asked last week never responded to me.

I realize that these are questions I should have asked sooner, but I was driving across the country all week and moving into my new apartment and they just slipped my mind with all of the other stuff I've had to deal with.

Starting in May. Did you have difficulty finding an apt?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:36 pm

For those who received an offer, are you planning on living in Alexandria and immediate surrounding area or in DC? Any difficulty with the apartment search?

Return to “Legal Employment”