Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:06 pm

The call was from the managing attorney from the law office that selected me. They requested to contact my references and required another from my current employer, so I had to inform one of the partners. My references and the partner confirmed they received the email from the senior attorney in the law office.

Actually, HR just called a few minutes ago with the formal offer. March class begins on the 9th and expect plenty of paperwork between now and then.

I would say formal offers for March are going out today.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After no word on Friday, I thought I was done for. Incredibly, I got a call on Tuesday AM for the March class. They checked my references the same day.

I work at a firm in Leesburg, VA that does a really high volume of trademark work. They should be opening a position soon and I'll post the link.

Was the call from the senior attorney for the office you'd be joining or from HR? Did they tell you that they had already checked your references - or how did you find out otherwise?

Also, did they give any indication when actual formal offers might be sent out? I got a call for the March class on Friday, but I don't want to tell my firm I am leaving until I have an actual offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The call was from the managing attorney from the law office that selected me. They requested to contact my references and required another from my current employer, so I had to inform one of the partners. My references and the partner confirmed they received the email from the senior attorney in the law office.

Actually, HR just called a few minutes ago with the formal offer. March class begins on the 9th and expect plenty of paperwork between now and then.

I would say formal offers for March are going out today.



Did you have to confirm that you were accepting the offer during the call?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Yes, they asked me whether I would accept the offer. It was hard not to just say "heck yeah!"

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The call was from the managing attorney from the law office that selected me. They requested to contact my references and required another from my current employer, so I had to inform one of the partners. My references and the partner confirmed they received the email from the senior attorney in the law office.

Actually, HR just called a few minutes ago with the formal offer. March class begins on the 9th and expect plenty of paperwork between now and then.

I would say formal offers for March are going out today.



Did you have to confirm that you were accepting the offer during the call?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:36 pm

I received a call this afternoon from HR with a formal offer to start in the March class. Looks like a couple of us will be meeting in person soon. Congratulations to all those receiving offers!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Has there been a lot of movement on the May class? Anyone in that class receive a formal offer yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has there been a lot of movement on the May class? Anyone in that class receive a formal offer yet?


Potential May class here. No formal offer on my end. Perhaps after the holiday once the March class is sorted?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has there been a lot of movement on the May class? Anyone in that class receive a formal offer yet?


Potential May class here. No formal offer on my end. Perhaps after the holiday once the March class is sorted?


Did you hear back this week or are you the person who got a call last Friday?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has there been a lot of movement on the May class? Anyone in that class receive a formal offer yet?


Potential May class here. No formal offer on my end. Perhaps after the holiday once the March class is sorted?


Did you hear back this week or are you the person who got a call last Friday?


I got a call last Friday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:41 pm

Any movement today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement today?


I was given a timeline of around Feb. 23 for formal May class offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Are there multiple people on this forum who have received informal may class offers? From the 2/06 responses, it seemed so, but was hard to tell definitively. Still wondering if some calls will go out this week. Last year someone got a call (and email) on 2/20. And someone did receive a phone call for the March class just 2 days before formal offers went out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement today?


I was given a timeline of around Feb. 23 for formal May class offers.


I also received an informal May offer and recently received the same timeline.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Did you ask or was it volunteered to you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you ask or was it volunteered to you?


Volunteered post-reference checks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did you ask or was it volunteered to you?


Volunteered post-reference checks.


Same, received an update stating that reference checks had gone through and formal offers would be issued within the next few weeks (May class, received informal offer on Friday 2/6).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:52 pm

For those of you who heard back Friday, were your references contacted Friday? Is there anyone in the May class who's references have not been contacted yet?

I am also wondering when you all were asked for references - someone I know was asked for them at the first interview, but I was not asked for mine until relatively recently. At first I was hoping that I was under serious consideration for an offer, but now I'm just wondering whether someone noticed it was missing from my file because I never got a call and none of my refs have actually been contacted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who heard back Friday, were your references contacted Friday? Is there anyone in the May class who's references have not been contacted yet?

I am also wondering when you all were asked for references - someone I know was asked for them at the first interview, but I was not asked for mine until relatively recently. At first I was hoping that I was under serious consideration for an offer, but now I'm just wondering whether someone noticed it was missing from my file because I never got a call and none of my refs have actually been contacted.


I heard back on Friday, and my references were called starting the following Monday. The email I received to set up the first interview noted at the bottom that I should bring a list of three references with me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:16 pm

Anyone receive a rejection yet? I suppose all decisions likely went out by now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 am

Obviously this is a highly desirable and competitive position. But can anyone comment on the future benefits of getting this position? What is the typical career path for a trademark examining attorney? Do law firms/in-house law departments value the experience and rate it highly when hiring? Thanks for the input.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:05 pm

I received my official offer today with a start of March 9th. See you guys soon!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:32 pm

I can't comment on the job prospects since I don't really know but my interviewer did say that the attrition rate is extremely low, and that when examiners leave their position, if at all, it's to another position within the agency.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby sparty99 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:41 pm

What type of grades and school did you attend? Did you guys apply on usa jobs? Did you upload your resume or use the usa jobs resume builder platform?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:45 pm

sparty99 wrote:What type of grades and school did you attend? Did you guys apply on usa jobs? Did you upload your resume or use the usa jobs resume builder platform?


You wouldn't be able to see the stats of newly hired examiners from this year, but if you look this up on LinkedIn it's pretty easy to tell what kind of background/credentials they're looking for. Including those hired from the past 2 years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:28 pm

sparty99 wrote:What type of grades and school did you attend? Did you guys apply on usa jobs? Did you upload your resume or use the usa jobs resume builder platform?

Median at lower end T-14. One year post graduation at a small firm with some trademark experience. Uploaded resume.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Do they send an official rejection? It might just be an updated status on usajobs




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.