Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:32 pm

I spent about an hour with the first group and maybe 20 minutes with the second group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I spent about an hour with the first group and maybe 20 minutes with the second group.
Ok, thanks. Were the questions asked about the same with both groups?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:25 pm

I interviewed mid-December. I was told 3 hours, but was with the first panel about an hour and the second about 40 minutes. The first panel was the informative panel, with some questions. The second panel was all questions. The first panel told me that the second asked questions designed to elicit similar answers as those given to the first panel, but I didn't find that to be the case at all.

The wait is killer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back since their interview? Anyone received an offer or asked permission to contact their references?
Did the interviews really take 3 hours? If so, was that time split among different group leads? Did each group ask the same questions?
They will know the hirees by the end of January. I interviewed in January, and I was told they wouldn't even start talking until after the interviews have been completed (which is Friday).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back since their interview? Anyone received an offer or asked permission to contact their references?
Did the interviews really take 3 hours? If so, was that time split among different group leads? Did each group ask the same questions?
They will know the hirees by the end of January. I interviewed in January, and I was told they wouldn't even start talking until after the interviews have been completed (which is Friday).
(Hit Submit too soon)

The first group took about 25 minutes, and the second group was about 40 minutes. The questions were all different, but it is because each team leader wants to know different qualities. My interview was shorter than most because I have already been through this before so the basics and job descriptions were truncated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lockhark

New

Post by lockhark » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
^^ Will they know the hirees by the end of January? Does this mean there won't be a second round of interviews (they'll just call your references and get straight to it?) I believe I read something on another thread that they conducted a second round of interviews, but that may not be the case this time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:11 pm

There is no second round of interviews this time. One shot, two sets of people on the same day. They said they would be in touch the end of January.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:41 pm

This wait is ridiculous!

bellarms

New

Post by bellarms » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This wait is ridiculous!
I know! I'm currently unemployed, so I've had nothing to keep my mind off it. My interview was in mid-December, and I can't stop worrying that I have no chance because it's been so long. I feel like those who interviewed after the holidays probably have a better shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:50 am

bellarms wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This wait is ridiculous!
I know! I'm currently unemployed, so I've had nothing to keep my mind off it. My interview was in mid-December, and I can't stop worrying that I have no chance because it's been so long. I feel like those who interviewed after the holidays probably have a better shot.
Honestly, I don't think it matters when you interviewed. It seems like it's random. If a manager liked you, you're in his/her team. I've known beginning and ending interviewees who have secured positions. We will know soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:11 pm

I understand that the PTO will ask you before contacting your references, and that they only take this step if planning to make you an offer. Has anyone been contacted about their references?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:23 pm

I wouldn't expect to hear anything until the end of this week at the very earliest. They just finished interviews on Friday. More likely, calls will come sometime next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't expect to hear anything until the end of this week at the very earliest. They just finished interviews on Friday. More likely, calls will come sometime next week.
I also think next week.

The last class had a shorter interview window, 8/24 to 9/11 (or 9/15), and the phone call to check references was on 9/23--a week after the interview window closed.

Good luck everyone :!:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:39 pm

the wait.................

HarveyBirdlaw

New

Post by HarveyBirdlaw » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:04 pm

Yes sir/ma'am... it is brutal. Now that everybody has interviewed, I think we can be a little more open about our interviews just to get it off our chest while we wait.

I don't know how it was for you guys, but it the interview to me was surprisingly devoid of any trademark related questions. I had brushed up on all the work I did in lawschool, but it was really just a convo about how the job worked, and why I wanted to work there.

Was this similar for anyone else, or did you get quizzed on trademark law?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the wait.................
I'm still expecting to hear something next week.

Looking through the forum, it can come on any day.
Page 1, Offers went out 2/20/2014 (Thursday)
Page 5, Offers went out 2/6/2015 (Friday)
Page 11, Offers went out 9/23/2015 (Wednesday)

nyulaw

New

Post by nyulaw » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:38 pm

HarveyBirdlaw wrote:Yes sir/ma'am... it is brutal. Now that everybody has interviewed, I think we can be a little more open about our interviews just to get it off our chest while we wait.

I don't know how it was for you guys, but it the interview to me was surprisingly devoid of any trademark related questions. I had brushed up on all the work I did in lawschool, but it was really just a convo about how the job worked, and why I wanted to work there.

Was this similar for anyone else, or did you get quizzed on trademark law?
They are not interested in your knowledge of trademark law as much as your ability to do the job. The training they do assumes you have no trademark knowledge at all. They would prefer candidates who demonstrate an ability to maintain a high rate of accuracy, keep up with the production requirements, and be OK with having their work red lined on a regular basis. I think their view is, the law can be taught, work skills cannot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Agreed. My interview was the same. In fact, someone told me that there were a lot of people who had interviewed (partners at firms, IP professionals, you name it) and that it didn't matter to them. For purposes of hiring the best candidates, they assumed you have 0 knowledge about trademark law. They were primarily concerned about how quickly you could work and whether or not you could meet their production goals. It really wasn't a great way to sell the job, in my opinion, but I think they wanted to get straight to the point and not sugarcoat it.

I think more importantly, the secret sauce is that you communicate to them that you are planning on being there for the long run. Knowledge isn't important, and many people can meet their production standards, but ultimately, they want someone to invest in. They don't want to waste 5 weeks of training on someone who will plan on leaving to a firm in the next year or so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I think more importantly, the secret sauce is that you communicate to them that you are planning on being there for the long run. Knowledge isn't important, and many people can meet their production standards, but ultimately, they want someone to invest in. They don't want to waste 5 weeks of training on someone who will plan on leaving to a firm in the next year or so.
Bingo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:17 pm

For those outside the DC area, we expect a MAJOR snowstorm beginning Friday mid-afternoon. The metro transit system has already said they will shut down at Friday, 11pm, for the entire weekend. Federal offices will likely close Friday. I just pass this info along as this could delay calls about references.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:51 am

While we are all waiting, I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank every person who has posted on this forum. It helped me in preparing for the interview process.

I will echo the sentiment of the recent posters--my questioners told me flat out that they assume that every newbie has zero trademark knowledge. That was a relief for me. My panels lasted about half hour each. I couldn't tell if they felt rushed to get through the interviews or if they weren't impressed enough to keep digging. I did get a few tough/trick questions, like would I choose quantity over quality or vice-versa.

For those of you in the DC-area, stay safe this weekend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CamgLaw

New

Post by CamgLaw » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:45 am

I just received a phone call from a VA phone number. I was so excited, then I answer and it was from an apartment complex l had researched. The wait is killing me.

HarveyBirdlaw

New

Post by HarveyBirdlaw » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:48 am

CamgLaw wrote:I just received a phone call from a VA phone number. I was so excited, then I answer and it was from an apartment complex l had researched. The wait is killing me.
Lol, sorry to laugh but I can easily see that happening to me too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:06 pm

We probably won't hear back today, it is a a snow day for DC and the USPTO is closed.

http://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resou ... ing-status

HarveyBirdlaw

New

Post by HarveyBirdlaw » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We probably won't hear back today, it is a a snow day for DC and the USPTO is closed.

http://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resou ... ing-status
Ah, thanks for that. Wasn't aware that the closing was continuing till today.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”