Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just got an email as well. Does anyone know how promotions work with this position? Most attorney positions with the Fed top out at gs-14, but the posting only lists promotional potential as GS-11.
You are only GS 11 for the first year. Then you move up to GS12 and then start going up on a step basis. They explain all of this in the first interview.
So it tops out at gs-12?
No, so you are at GS-12 for the second year and then you have the option to apply for GS-13 designation, its weird because its a separate internal application process and it seems like that is a way for them to see if you are performing at a high enough level to warrant the higher pay scale. If so then you can move to GS 13 and move up from there. I am not too clear on the rest but that is my understanding from the interview I had. I think you cap at GS 14 unless you go into management then you can move up to GS-15.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just got an email as well. Does anyone know how promotions work with this position? Most attorney positions with the Fed top out at gs-14, but the posting only lists promotional potential as GS-11.
You are only GS 11 for the first year. Then you move up to GS12 and then start going up on a step basis. They explain all of this in the first interview.
So it tops out at gs-12?
No, so you are at GS-12 for the second year and then you have the option to apply for GS-13 designation, its weird because its a separate internal application process and it seems like that is a way for them to see if you are performing at a high enough level to warrant the higher pay scale. If so then you can move to GS 13 and move up from there. I am not too clear on the rest but that is my understanding from the interview I had. I think you cap at GS 14 unless you go into management then you can move up to GS-15.
Thanks for the explanation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The "Referred but not selected" emails were regarding the previous job posting that had interviews in September. The October one has not been referred yet as they are not referred until after the essay/writing sample is requested which will probably will be in next week or two.
The writing samples have already been requested and the date by which they were to be submitted has passed.
:(

My dreams are crushed.
Don't give up. I won't. :D
Seems like this was not the case since I got my request for writing sample last night. Must have been another posting you were looking at or just trolling.
Well, at least my dreams are crushed :(
Keep trying. I think that's what we all are doing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:06 am

Anonymous User wrote: You are only GS 11 for the first year. Then you move up to GS12 and then start going up on a step basis. They explain all of this in the first interview.
This is what I remember from my interview:
Year 1, GS-11, fixed salary for the year, no overtime. Year 2, automatic bump to GS-12 salary for the year plus option to do overtime and possibility for quarterly bonus. Year 3,automatic bump to GS-13 and then you start moving up by increments. Jump to GS-15 when ready to move to management.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:27 am

People who interviewed in the last round, what's your approach to rewriting the KSA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: You are only GS 11 for the first year. Then you move up to GS12 and then start going up on a step basis. They explain all of this in the first interview.
Year 1, GS-11, fixed salary for the year, no overtime. Year 2, automatic bump to GS-12 salary for the year plus option to do overtime and possibility for quarterly bonus. Year 3,automatic bump to GS-13 and then you start moving up by increments. Jump to GS-15 when ready to move to management.
Do you know how telework works with this position? The posting says gs-11 is not elligible, but my understanding is that some USPTO attorneys are able to telework 5 days per week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you know how telework works with this position? The posting says gs-11 is not elligible, but my understanding is that some USPTO attorneys are able to telework 5 days per week.
I think that employees become telework eligible after 2 years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What if you are a current government employee at either grade 12 or 13? Can you come in at your current grade?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What if you are a current government employee at either grade 12 or 13? Can you come in at your current grade?
(Anon asking about telework here) I'm a current GS-12 at a different agency. Your question is one for HR and will be based on your resume. My understanding is that unless you have relevant experience related to the specific duties of this job you'll have a hard time convincing HR that you should come in at a higher grade than 11. However, I believe you should be able to come in at a higher step than 1 or 2 at gs-11. Also your accrued vacation and tsp should carry over.

The job posting says "Applicants hired under this vacancy announcement (except in particular circumstances concerning current and former Federal Government employees) will have their grade and pay set at the GS-0905-11 Step 1 grade level at ($63,772) per annum."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:44 am

From what I recall, you can petition for telework at the two year mark. It didn't sound like it was automatically granted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:58 am

Anyone who submitted a writing sample hear anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:29 pm

Nope. Haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:40 pm

It took about 2-weeks in the last round

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Just got my interview date. Interviews will be Dec 1 - Jan 15.

Says to expect to be at the USPTO for 3 hours which tells me they might be doing just the one round of interviews with two sets of seniors/ managers this time around. Also they also didn't offer to do it by phone/ video chat which they usually do for the first round.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got my interview date. Interviews will be Dec 1 - Jan 15.

Says to expect to be at the USPTO for 3 hours which tells me they might be doing just the one round of interviews with two sets of seniors/ managers this time around. Also they also didn't offer to do it by phone/ video chat which they usually do for the first round.
Congrats!

Do you remember what day you sent in your writing sample? Just wondering if they are going through the samples in the order in which received.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:33 pm

I received my request for writing sample on 11/15 and I sent it in on 11/16. Got my interview date today for mid December.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:06 pm

I also received a request for written statement on 11/15. I sent it back on 11/19. The deadline was midnight on 11/20.

I haven't heard anything regarding an interview or rejection yet. I honestly didn't expect to hear anything until next week because of the holiday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:16 pm

For the folks who got an interview , were you notified over email? Phone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:29 pm

Interview notification comes via email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:18 pm

I replied on Friday, 11/20. Haven't heard anything yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Does anyone have any updates or stats on this? Ie how many positions are available and how many are coming in for interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:40 pm

Does anyone have any updates or stats on this? Ie how many positions are available and how many are coming in for interviews?

I don't have any updates yet either and I replied to the request for additional information on 11/19 as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:46 pm

I haven't heard anything either and I replied to the request for information on 11/16.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:29 pm

I got an email on the 27th asking for proof that I passed the bar exam, no request for a writing sample or whatever. I actually have a different government job I just started so I'm just going to ignore this, but there's still movement, apparently, so keep your heads up!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”