Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:56 am

Wowzer. The cut from apps to interviews was quite large. Odds are somewhat good now...about 1/3 is pretty good.

cashman_11

New

Post by cashman_11 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Of those interviewing, did you apply for the attorney position or the law clerk position? I applied for the latter and interview at the end of the month...I wonder if that makes any difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:28 pm

cashman_11 wrote:Of those interviewing, did you apply for the attorney position or the law clerk position? I applied for the latter and interview at the end of the month...I wonder if that makes any difference.
Applied for law clerk as well. Interviewing this coming week...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:44 pm

Proskauer ding via email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Proskauer ding via email
Ding = "Thanks but no thanks"?

Were you offered an interview that you had already completed?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:58 pm

For those who have interviewed, did they ask your preference for which class (October/January) you’d like to work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Proskauer ding via email
If they're giving post-interview rejections, or even rejections at all, that's a huge step forward compared to the "radio silence" they've apparently opted for in the past.

Sorry things didn't work out for you though (assuming you meant to post that in this thread).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Trademark Attorney Applicants - How was your interview??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:11 pm

I interview this week. Any pointers?

Lawmakers

New

Post by Lawmakers » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:04 pm

1. Did they ask which class y’all preferred to be hired for (October/January)?

2. Did they give you guys a copy of the year to year breakdown of the Pay Grades for Attorney Advisors?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Lawmakers wrote:1. Did they ask which class y’all preferred to be hired for (October/January)?

2. Did they give you guys a copy of the year to year breakdown of the Pay Grades for Attorney Advisors?
AA paygrade:

Start at GS-11
After one year GS-12
After two years GS-13
After three years GS-14 (may have to apply for GS-14, but as of a year ago they were looking to ditch the application)

Fulltime telework available after two years. You get the DC/Northern VA locality pay wherever you live

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Applicants that participated in a USPTO certified trademark clinic are given strong preference by most Managing Attorneys.

If you've been out of law school a while and have more than 3-5 years of trademark experience, you'll be facing more of an uphill battle than others.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Any interview updates??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Just walked out. Going to drink for the first time in a few months. Hopefully not too many

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just walked out. Going to drink for the first time in a few months. Hopefully not too many
Anonymous User wrote:Just walked out. Going to drink for the first time in a few months. Hopefully not too many
Did they ask your preference for which class you would like to work (October/January)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Had an interview today as well. I think if you look over the boards here, you will be in good shape. I did not get asked for preference of start dates, but if both of the start dates would work for me (if either wouldn't work).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Lawmakers wrote:1. Did they ask which class y’all preferred to be hired for (October/January)?

Yes and yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote: If you've been out of law school a while and have more than 3-5 years of trademark experience, you'll be facing more of an uphill battle than others.
How so? Trademark private practice is different to being a trademark examiner, hence even seasoned trademark private practitioners get office actions from trademark examiners.
:shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Yes and yes.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :?:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:24 pm

I think that ALL interviewees are given a copy of the Pay Grades and asked their start date preference Oct 2018/Jan 2019. I think that once the successful candidates are selected, offers will be sent based on those preferences. Those who were part of the USPTO Trademark law school clinic may have more advantage than others but i do not think 'trademark experience' is much of a factor. Be yourself in the interview, do your best, hope for the best and be prepared to move-on regardless of the outcome. Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 pm

Interviewed last week and thought it went fine. Was told interviews will be conducted over the next couple of weeks with selections to be made in late September through early October. Best of luck everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:20 am

Anyone know what the reference checks entail? Haven't told my current boss I am leaving and so didn't put on my reference list (list included former supervisors per request, 100% confident in everyone included). I'm wondering if they will contact my current boss anyway.

If they did, I'm sure they wouldn't say anything bad, but I'm concerned it would be damning with faint praise. Again, nothing bad, just nothing enthusiastic. If they do contact my current boss, would this be a potential issue? I have a very different workflow, which is part of the reason I'm looking for a new job...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what the reference checks entail? Haven't told my current boss I am leaving and so didn't put on my reference list (list included former supervisors per request, 100% confident in everyone included). I'm wondering if they will contact my current boss anyway.

If they did, I'm sure they wouldn't say anything bad, but I'm concerned it would be damning with faint praise. Again, nothing bad, just nothing enthusiastic. If they do contact my current boss, would this be a potential issue? I have a very different workflow, which is part of the reason I'm looking for a new job...
It'll definitely verify your title/position, start date, and current employment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote: It'll definitely verify your title/position, start date, and current employment.
Right, I guess the question is if they will ask my current employer for further info if I have not listed them as a reference.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”