Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:13 pm

Right. They were effectively offers. You should give them a ring and see what's up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote: They were pretty careful on the phone on Friday to say that the phone calls were not "offers" per say... They just wanted permission to talk to references.
Yeah I got the same vibe re: the nature of the offer. But at least in my case they also stated that, assuming everything works out, HR will issue a job offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Did anyone hear anything today? Even an offer from HR?

I am still wondering if individual law offices are working at their own pace.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: They were pretty careful on the phone on Friday to say that the phone calls were not "offers" per say... They just wanted permission to talk to references.
Yeah I got the same vibe re: the nature of the offer. But at least in my case they also stated that, assuming everything works out, HR will issue a job offer.
I'm curious how long it might take to be contacted by HR. I know they already spoke with all of my references, but I didn't receive any correspondence today and there was no indication how long it would take for a final decision. I would be in the March class, so I'd only have a month before starting and I would like to start winding things down at my current job and look for places to live as soon as possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm curious how long it might take to be contacted by HR. I know they already spoke with all of my references, but I didn't receive any correspondence today and there was no indication how long it would take for a final decision. I would be in the March class, so I'd only have a month before starting and I would like to start winding things down at my current job and look for places to live as soon as possible.
They are apparently moving a bit faster with the March class than the May class (which makes sense). I'm in May and none of my references have heard anything yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LBHTX

New

Post by LBHTX » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:50 am

Congratulations to all those receiving offers. I started at the USPTO last May and went through this same process. If you are without contacts in the DC area, as I was, and have questions about the job, campus, area, schools, cost of living, etc., please feel free to send me a PM. I am happy to help and be the person I wished I had!

Best of luck to those still waiting!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:22 am

LBHTX wrote:Congratulations to all those receiving offers. I started at the USPTO last May and went through this same process. If you are without contacts in the DC area, as I was, and have questions about the job, campus, area, schools, cost of living, etc., please feel free to send me a PM. I am happy to help and be the person I wished I had!

Thanks! Is the offer process ongoing or should those of us who have not heard back assume we're on a wait list?

LBHTX

New

Post by LBHTX » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LBHTX wrote:Congratulations to all those receiving offers. I started at the USPTO last May and went through this same process. If you are without contacts in the DC area, as I was, and have questions about the job, campus, area, schools, cost of living, etc., please feel free to send me a PM. I am happy to help and be the person I wished I had!

Thanks! Is the offer process ongoing or should those of us who have not heard back assume we're on a wait list?
That I don't know. Examining attorneys are light-years away from the hiring process, so I am of little help regarding status updates. That being said, I am happy to answer other questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:20 am

Probabaly better to just call and ask if the offer process is still ongoing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:58 am

I just sent an email. If I learn anything I'll let you all know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just sent an email. If I learn anything I'll let you all know.
Thank you so much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:35 pm

For the people who have received offers/current TM examiners, would you mind sharing your credentials? Top tier school, connection to PTO, extensive trademark experience? I don't want to sound cocky or anything, but I really believe that I was highly qualified for this position (and was also told this by current and former TM examiners); however I did not receive an offer. Maybe there is something I was missing that I can work on for next time? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Any movement? Even on references/offers?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:23 pm

I called, was told all selections have not been made yet. Not sure if that just referred to the references clearing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:26 pm

My email sought some clarification on this but I didn't receive a response.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the people who have received offers/current TM examiners, would you mind sharing your credentials? Top tier school, connection to PTO, extensive trademark experience? I don't want to sound cocky or anything, but I really believe that I was highly qualified for this position (and was also told this by current and former TM examiners); however I did not receive an offer. Maybe there is something I was missing that I can work on for next time? Thanks!

Good qualifications get you an interview; a good interview gets you a job. How do you feel like it went?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For the people who have received offers/current TM examiners, would you mind sharing your credentials? Top tier school, connection to PTO, extensive trademark experience? I don't want to sound cocky or anything, but I really believe that I was highly qualified for this position (and was also told this by current and former TM examiners); however I did not receive an offer. Maybe there is something I was missing that I can work on for next time? Thanks!

Good qualifications get you an interview; a good interview gets you a job. How do you feel like it went?
I thought all of my interviews went very well- both the initial screening (obviously because I moved on) and both panels in the second round. Everyone in the room was very engaged and most people asked me multiple questions. I had good answers for all of them and felt like I was being both friendly and confident.

Obviously I either did something wrong, or there was just no one there who liked me enough to give me an offer. I understand it is hard for you to give feedback since you were not in the room during my interviews, but what do you feel like you did well?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Any movement at all today? On offers and/or reference checks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:52 pm

After no word on Friday, I thought I was done for. Incredibly, I got a call on Tuesday AM for the March class. They checked my references the same day.

I work at a firm in Leesburg, VA that does a really high volume of trademark work. They should be opening a position soon and I'll post the link.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After no word on Friday, I thought I was done for. Incredibly, I got a call on Tuesday AM for the March class. They checked my references the same day.

I work at a firm in Leesburg, VA that does a really high volume of trademark work. They should be opening a position soon and I'll post the link.
Was the call from the senior attorney for the office you'd be joining or from HR? Did they tell you that they had already checked your references - or how did you find out otherwise?

Also, did they give any indication when actual formal offers might be sent out? I got a call for the March class on Friday, but I don't want to tell my firm I am leaving until I have an actual offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:06 pm

The call was from the managing attorney from the law office that selected me. They requested to contact my references and required another from my current employer, so I had to inform one of the partners. My references and the partner confirmed they received the email from the senior attorney in the law office.

Actually, HR just called a few minutes ago with the formal offer. March class begins on the 9th and expect plenty of paperwork between now and then.

I would say formal offers for March are going out today.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After no word on Friday, I thought I was done for. Incredibly, I got a call on Tuesday AM for the March class. They checked my references the same day.

Was the call from the senior attorney for the office you'd be joining or from HR? Did they tell you that they had already checked your references - or how did you find out otherwise?

Also, did they give any indication when actual formal offers might be sent out? I got a call for the March class on Friday, but I don't want to tell my firm I am leaving until I have an actual offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The call was from the managing attorney from the law office that selected me. They requested to contact my references and required another from my current employer, so I had to inform one of the partners. My references and the partner confirmed they received the email from the senior attorney in the law office.

Actually, HR just called a few minutes ago with the formal offer. March class begins on the 9th and expect plenty of paperwork between now and then.

Did you have to confirm that you were accepting the offer during the call?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Yes, they asked me whether I would accept the offer. It was hard not to just say "heck yeah!"
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The call was from the managing attorney from the law office that selected me. They requested to contact my references and required another from my current employer, so I had to inform one of the partners. My references and the partner confirmed they received the email from the senior attorney in the law office.

Did you have to confirm that you were accepting the offer during the call?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:36 pm

I received a call this afternoon from HR with a formal offer to start in the March class. Looks like a couple of us will be meeting in person soon. Congratulations to all those receiving offers!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Has there been a lot of movement on the May class? Anyone in that class receive a formal offer yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”