Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:46 pm

playpowerball wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just found out I got an interview! This will be my third try lol, hope the third time's the charm! :lol:

I heard that many people get the job after several rounds of interviews and rejections. If you got it on your 2nd or 3rd (4th?) try, what did you do differently when you got an offer? Any advice for repeat interviewers like myself?

I'm seeing a few posts on here saying that more experience means less chance of getting hired - is it because they assume an experienced lawyer wouldn't want to leave a law firm job for a GS-11 position with less responsibility? In my previous interviews, they insinuated that the job is boring and repetitive, and asked how I feel about taking a pay cut. The truth is, I'm at a small firm that doesn't pay particularly well, I don't enjoy practicing law, and I want out of private practice. If I don't get into the USPTO or another government position soon, I will most likely go back to school and/or change careers. Can't exactly say this in an interview, lol. Any thoughts on how to convey that I'd much rather be a trademark examining attorney than work at a law firm without coming off as negative or lazy?

The toughest interview questions I had were about how I will meet production quotas and deal with tough deadlines. I have not worked in an environment with routinely high production volumes and tight deadlines, and I couldn't come up with a more compelling answer than I'll work really hard. Any advice on how to handle that?

Best of luck to everyone else who applied this round!

Hey congratulations on the interview! Did you hear back via phone call or email?

Thanks! I got an e-mail with an assigned interview time and instructions for getting into the building.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:32 pm

Congrats on the interview! When did you submit your written statement?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Just got an interview offer today, my writing statement was due by October 25. Hope that helps! I know the interview offers don't come all at once, so try not to stress too much.

And keep applying. And applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Has anyone received any more interview offers?

Do they usually come out at once? I submitted my written statement on October 25th, 2017.

I haven't received an interview offer though.

Does everyone receive a written statement request, or that's the first set of chopping?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 am

I'm honestly not sure about the whole process (though I should be, like most people, this isn't my first time applying). Also, they have changed the way they hire - from several times a year to just once.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any more interview offers?

Do they usually come out at once? I submitted my written statement on October 25th, 2017.

I haven't received an interview offer though.

Does everyone receive a written statement request, or that's the first set of chopping?

Hi! From what I have heard from some of my friends at the PTO, not everyone receives a request for a written statement and the interview requests are released in waves. I also submitted my written statement on the 25th and I received a request for an interview on Nov. 2nd.

I hope you hear soon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:51 pm

I interviewed yesterday. I was told there were over 600 applicants and they only interview around 25% of them. This week was the second week of interviews and they will interview for 2 more weeks. Once you get to the interview stage it's because you've been deemed qualified and they need to narrow the candidates down based on fit and personality.

This round the USPTO is hiring 60 applicants for three separate classes of around twenty examiners each. The first will start in late January, the second in March and the third in May. Offers will go out in late December.

I interviewed with a panel of ten and a panel of seven, each for 30-40 minutes. As a lot of other candidates have mentioned, the first panel is an explanation of the job. What I haven't seen mentioned is that there are one or two people chosen to play bad cop-they come off less engaged and less friendly at the start and ask about whther you can deal with critique of your work, what you'd do if come 3pm you had finished meeting your production requirements, or how you're experience prooves that you can turn out quality work at a quick pace. One of my bad cops asked a question that I had already answered a few minutes previous, which was kind of lame. In my case there were only one or two attorneys in each panel who didn't ask questions. Most of them were friendly and interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

Hello! I haven't heard anything about an interview at all... does that mean I wasn't selected?

For the record, I just verified and my writing sample/questionnaire was actually due October 26th 2017 which is also when I turned it in.

Could this possibly be for a different class? Did anyone else have a 10/26 deadline?

anon821

Postby anon821 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello! I haven't heard anything about an interview at all... does that mean I wasn't selected?

For the record, I just verified and my writing sample/questionnaire was actually due October 26th 2017 which is also when I turned it in.

Could this possibly be for a different class? Did anyone else have a 10/26 deadline?

Hey! I'm sorry you haven't heard, yet. I hope you do. I got my interview request a week after submitting my written statement. The interview coordinator told me they are interviewing for two more weeks (this week and next) to fill three different classes this year, each with around 20 people. From what I hear it is not at all uncommon to not hear anything back at all. One of my friends used to work at the PTO on the patent side, left and has since interviewed for a couple different positions on both the patent and trademark sides and she never was formally rejected. Her applications are still pending even though they are over a year old now.

nochill808

Postby nochill808 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed yesterday. I was told there were over 600 applicants and they only interview around 25% of them. This week was the second week of interviews and they will interview for 2 more weeks. Once you get to the interview stage it's because you've been deemed qualified and they need to narrow the candidates down based on fit and personality.

This round the USPTO is hiring 60 applicants for three separate classes of around twenty examiners each. The first will start in late January, the second in March and the third in May. Offers will go out in late December.

I interviewed with a panel of ten and a panel of seven, each for 30-40 minutes. As a lot of other candidates have mentioned, the first panel is an explanation of the job. What I haven't seen mentioned is that there are one or two people chosen to play bad cop-they come off less engaged and less friendly at the start and ask about whther you can deal with critique of your work, what you'd do if come 3pm you had finished meeting your production requirements, or how you're experience prooves that you can turn out quality work at a quick pace. One of my bad cops asked a question that I had already answered a few minutes previous, which was kind of lame. In my case there were only one or two attorneys in each panel who didn't ask questions. Most of them were friendly and interested.

Really appreciate this info. My first interview will be after Thanksgiving. Did they indicate whether they will be doing more than one round of interviews? I’ve noticed past responses (and Glassdoor) indicated some people had 2-3 rounds of interviews.

Return to “Legal Employment”