Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Is there any update about the interview for anyone who received email to submit writing sample by Dec 6?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Once again, talk of a government shutdown is in the air. I know that to a degree the USPTO is self funding, but it is also my understanding that it is nevertheless limited in how long it can operate while the rest of the government is closed. Does anyone know how this might impact those who began work in October, or the new class of trademark examining attorneys scheduled to begin work in early January? Has this happened before and if so, how did the USPTO handle things? If there is a shutdown, are new hires nevertheless ultimately paid for the time they are furloughed with no pay for that time, ever?

Anyone on the inside have any insights on how things might play out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:34 am

I was asked for a writing sample. It haven’t heard anything about interviewing. Fingers crossed

geetonydee

New

Post by geetonydee » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:56 am

I was also asked for a writing sample, and have not heard anything yet. Hope is still alive. I anticipate we may hear something by next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Once again, talk of a government shutdown is in the air. I know that to a degree the USPTO is self funding, but it is also my understanding that it is nevertheless limited in how long it can operate while the rest of the government is closed. Does anyone know how this might impact those who began work in October, or the new class of trademark examining attorneys scheduled to begin work in early January? Has this happened before and if so, how did the USPTO handle things? If there is a shutdown, are new hires nevertheless ultimately paid for the time they are furloughed with no pay for that time, ever?

I'm an AA in another area of fed gov and it has never affected us at all. No furlough. I think because we are considered essential employees. So I'd think you would likely be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Once again, talk of a government shutdown is in the air. I know that to a degree the USPTO is self funding, but it is also my understanding that it is nevertheless limited in how long it can operate while the rest of the government is closed. Does anyone know how this might impact those who began work in October, or the new class of trademark examining attorneys scheduled to begin work in early January? Has this happened before and if so, how did the USPTO handle things? If there is a shutdown, are new hires nevertheless ultimately paid for the time they are furloughed with no pay for that time, ever?

USPTO can operate for a few weeks using it's own funds. Won't impact those that started in October at all.

It's happened before and nothing changed for the USPTO. But I don't recall a group being hired around then so I'm not 100% sure regarding the January class. That said, I highly doubt a shutdown would delay the hiring of them. We need more examiners pretty badly

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:58 pm

As I move deeper into the application process, I find myself pondering a question I'd like to toss out to those who began work within the past year or two. Do you enjoy the work, and are you happy with your decision? What about your colleagues, are they a happy bunch?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks for all the posts, everyone! Just got an email for a mid-January interview. Submitted my written statements on 12/6.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:52 pm

These posts have been incredible. Thanks to all those who have posted.

To help those who are waiting on a response to a December writing sample submission, I submitted my writing sample on Sunday, Dec 2nd and I just received an email around lunchtime today, Tuesday, Dec 18th for a mid-January 2019 interview date.

My fingers are crossed for all of you receiving interviews or waiting for the interview email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi all, I submitted my written sample on 12/4 and received an invitation for interview today.

This is my second time applying but first time interviewing. I did not get past the written sample the first time. This time around I made changes to my written sample (mainly to shorten the length and focused on aligning my experience with concerns addressed throughout this thread). Thank you for all the knowledge and support.

Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:32 pm

To those waiting I sent my KSA in on dec 2 and received email to interview early/mid January.

To those at the USPTO -This is my second time applying and I interviewed last time but was not selected. Any have any advice for the interview?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello :) Do you mind me asking when you received your interview email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:59 pm

I am just finding this forum. I submitted a statement Dec. 6th and wanted to see if others had heard back. It looks like I didn't get past this round :( . Did anyone find any tips for a successful written statement?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:01 pm

Interviewed last round. Didn’t get selected for an interview this time around. Don’t know why.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:08 pm

I also did not receive an invitation for an interview this round. This is my second attempt. I made it to the written request stage both times, but I cannot figure out how to be bale to move further in the process. Feeling discouraged right now, but I don't want to give up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:59 am

I have an upcoming interview for this position. Are there any real exit opportunities either within the USPTO, the federal government, or the private sector after taking this job, or are you pretty much stuck in it your entire career?

Euruskyj13

New

Post by Euruskyj13 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello :) Do you mind me asking when you received your interview email?
Tues dec 18

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FallonJ

New

Post by FallonJ » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:19 pm

Has anyone interviewed? How did it go?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 pm

I know that the USPTO is self- funded but I am still wondering if a PTO shutdown is on the horizon and how will that affect interviews.

I am slated to interview next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 pm

I was interviewed last week. Was told that the interview would continue till end of January and that they were looking to hire 60 people (not sure how many attorneys and how many law clerks). They are interviewing 180 people overall. My interview lasted around 30 min and there were more than 7 interviewers, all of whom were nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know that the USPTO is self- funded but I am still wondering if a PTO shutdown is on the horizon and how will that affect interviews.

I am slated to interview next week.
no clue about interviews but I am a patent attorney trying to figure out how the next few weeks may play out for my work

https://www.uspto.gov/uspto-operating-status

"Although parts of the federal government have experienced a lapse in appropriated funding, the USPTO remains open for business as normal. This is possible because the agency has access to prior-year fee collections, which enables the USPTO to continue normal operations for a few weeks. Should the USPTO exhaust these funds before a partial government shutdown comes to an end, the agency would have to shut down at that time, although a small staff would continue to work to receive new applications and any other examination, post-examination, post-issuance, and PTAB or TTAB filings; receive payments related to such filings; and maintain IT infrastructure, among other functions.

Further information regarding any adjustments to the USPTO’s operating status will be posted on the USPTO website and delivered to the news media."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 am

For those who already interviewed, were you told the expected start dates?

Mcupy00

New

Post by Mcupy00 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:28 pm

I interviewed on Jan 3. Single panel of about 7-8 people. They said to set aside about an hour but the questions only went on for about 30 minutes. Everyone seemed nice but not everyone spoke- a couple of people at the far end of the table stayed quiet and just jotted down notes every so often.

They said they were hiring “about” 50 and were interviewing about 160 people. They aren’t doing two start dates this year - just one in March.

They’re interviewing until Jan 18 and said they were going to try to let everyone know as soon as possible afterwards. They made it sound like they were planning to also notify people who are not selected of their decision, so hopefully no one will be left wondering what happened. Not sure how the shutdown will affect this process.

TGG

New

Post by TGG » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Starting date is March 11, 2019.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:13 pm

March 11

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!