Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's a different question for those of us who would be moving from very different places and backgrounds than Washington DC's: is the starting salary of 66.5k enough to pay for the cost of living in DC? I know it gets better after a few years, but I am a bit worried about how much it really amounts to in the end, after taxes, rent, etc. This question is coming from someone who would be moving alone (no family). I've been doing some research and the estimates I've seen are pretty high. I'd like to have the insight from someone who already lives there or has more insider info.
Studios in DC are generally between 1500 and 1900, one bedrooms from 2000 to 2700, so on and so forth. If you plan to take the metro in, you probably want to live on the yellow or blue line so look around those areas to see what the price differentials are (for example, Foggy Bottom on blue is probably more expensive than Chinatown on yellow). I'd echo what the person above said, that it can be much less expensive to live in Alexandria or the neighboring areas in VA... I know many examiners who live near campus walk to work, which is nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Exactly, those places near the USPTO range from 1,200 to 2,500+. And if you take home a bit more or less than that every two weeks....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:35 pm

GS-11 is really tight but doable, especially in the Northern VA area/Alexandria. Also GS-11 for 2018 got bumped up to $68,036! The agency provides a transit subsidy so that’s a plus too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 pm

As someone living in the district at a current gs-11 without family, it is doable but preferably with a roommate otherwise rent will eat probably at least half of your take home pay (if you are lucky). You take home about 1500 a pay period (2 weeks) after insurance, tsp contributions (if you match 5%), taxes, etc.

With roommates you can probably find something for around a grand or less in less expensive areas. But it is only a year, once you hit gs-12 it will be a lot easier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:19 pm

I've personally been looking in Virginia with access to the District via the Metro, and it seems to be approachable, especially considering the large GS12 bump in a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 pm

I emailed the managing attorney that I have been in contact with this morning to ask for an update. He just called back and gave me some info that will hopefully be helpful to everyone here. In case it helps, I am one of the 12/14 posters and did not know which class I was in until today. The managing attorney told me he thinks HR is 99% done with January, and will be turning to the other classes soon, if they have not already done so. He told me it's just a matter of waiting right now, and not to worry. He also said I was in the May class, and to reach back out to him if I don't hear anything by Wednesday. The May class does not have an official start date yet, but he said it will probably be early to mid month.

I'm a little unsure as to how I would hear by Wednesday if I'm in the May class and March people still haven't heard anything, but that's what he said. Either way, this doesn't change much of what we've all put together above, but hopefully it helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks for the update. This puts me a little more at ease.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:35 am

Has anyone heard from HR this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 pm

About a week or two ago, I was contacted by the manager who said that he contacted my references and is interested in hiring me. I am being considered for the March 19th class. I received a phone call today from HR about a paperwork I need to fill out to start the security clearance process and received a "tentative offer." I am expecting to hear back from HR probably sometime next week. Just wanted to others in the know. Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:00 am

Just some consolation to anyone frustrated that they did not get an offer for this entry-level position - I am a practicing TM attorney. I know many many amazing attorneys in IP who did not get offers to work with the USPTO. Please don't take the lack of an offer personally - if you made it as far as an interview, you did great, no one really knows why some people are picked and some people are not. If you are still interested, keep applying when the USPTO posts in the fall. However, there are always private practice or other government positions waiting for you instead or in the meantime. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Anyone else receive a tentative offer for March or May?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else receive a tentative offer for March or May?
I'm the one who talked to the Managing Attorney last week and found out I was in the May class. I haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:51 am

Anyone heard anything? Not sure I've ever wished for avoiding a government shutdown more than I am now..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else receive a tentative offer for March or May?
I'm the one who talked to the Managing Attorney last week and found out I was in the May class. I haven't heard anything yet.
Me again. He said the latest he's heard is that I should be contacted by HR next week, assuming no shut down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just some consolation to anyone frustrated that they did not get an offer for this entry-level position - I am a practicing TM attorney. I know many many amazing attorneys in IP who did not get offers to work with the USPTO. Please don't take the lack of an offer personally - if you made it as far as an interview, you did great, no one really knows why some people are picked and some people are not. If you are still interested, keep applying when the USPTO posts in the fall. However, there are always private practice or other government positions waiting for you instead or in the meantime. Good luck!
I honestly think I am more frustrated by the lack of a rejection letter. It takes about 30 minutes, tops, to send rejections to candidates who were not selected. It is discourteous and unprofessional to not send rejection letters to candidates who took the time to prepare for and travel to their office for an interview. The whole thing, from the inquisition style of the interview, the lack of a rejection letter/notice, and the fact HR never picks up their telephone, is very offputting. I doubt I'd apply for this position again, given this experience, and am not sure how some people have put themselves through this multiple times. That said, I am sincerely very happy for those selected and wish you all the best as you begin your positions!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Great info! Thanks for the update. Hopefully more offers start rolling out next week...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:26 am

One of the 12/14s checking in. Anyone think it's possible that HR kicks into overdrive to get the offers out before the fees temporarily keeping the Office open are tapped out? Trying to stay positive because even my references are beginning to ask about what's going on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:One of the 12/14s checking in. Anyone think it's possible that HR kicks into overdrive to get the offers out before the fees temporarily keeping the Office open are tapped out? Trying to stay positive because even my references are beginning to ask about what's going on.
According to the managing attorney I talked to last week, May class should be contacted by HR this week. However, he said this before the shutdown was definite and indicated that things would be delayed if there was a shutdown, so if he didn't know that they would be staying open through the shutdown, maybe he could be wrong about HR contacting us?

It's a stretch, but I'm just trying to keep my expectations low haha. Realistically we should be hearing soon if they're open and March got calls last week. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One of the 12/14s checking in. Anyone think it's possible that HR kicks into overdrive to get the offers out before the fees temporarily keeping the Office open are tapped out? Trying to stay positive because even my references are beginning to ask about what's going on.
According to the managing attorney I talked to last week, May class should be contacted by HR this week. However, he said this before the shutdown was definite and indicated that things would be delayed if there was a shutdown, so if he didn't know that they would be staying open through the shutdown, maybe he could be wrong about HR contacting us?

It's a stretch, but I'm just trying to keep my expectations low haha. Realistically we should be hearing soon if they're open and March got calls last week. Fingers crossed!
I appreciate the quick reply, and it's nice to see that there are plenty of others also circling this forum like crazy haha. Keeping the expectations low is definitely the healthy route. My references complimented me on my apparent "patience," so thank goodness they don't get to see our day-to-day roller coaster of emotions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:17 pm

I posted a couple of times here.
I received a final offer letter via email on Friday (My start date is in March).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I posted a couple of times here.
I received a final offer letter via email on Friday (My start date is in March).
Thanks for the update! Well, with this news and the end to the shutdown for a few more weeks, anyone for the May class may actually hear something this week. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Any news, May folks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news, May folks?
I haven't heard anything yet. I'm the 12/14 that didn't initially ask about which class I was being considered for, but I ultimately found out it was for May.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 pm

No news yet... was really hoping for a call today. I’m thinking they’re swamped onboarding the people who started this week. (I’m also a 12/14 May person).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”