Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Yes, March 2019

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 am

Anyone had an interview for today cancelled? I understand that DC area Federal offices are closed today due to inclement weather. I was wondering how that affected interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone had an interview for today cancelled? I understand that DC area Federal offices are closed today due to inclement weather. I was wondering how that affected interviews.
Mine was. I got an email last week saying if there was a weather shut down someone would reach out to me and re-schedule. I’m just hoping they’ll let me do a phone or Skype interview since it would be hard to fly back in on short notice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:30 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:40 am

Start date is March 11. Given the very quick turnaround, I'm curious (panicked, anxious) to see how they manage the rescheduling of today's interviews and still get out notice to everyone in time for them to effect the transition (applying for apartments, moving, current job notice, etc.). It's going to be a stressful few weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:46 pm

My flight in was cancelled. I wonder if they will allow a skype interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 pm

My interview today was pushed back to tomorrow. Found out when I was in the lobby 30 minutes prior. They want to interview everyone but are rearranging on the fly.

S.P.F. 30

New

Post by S.P.F. 30 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:01 pm

Moment of truth starts as early as tomorrow. Good luck everyone and thanks. It's been good to consult ideas with you and find support during this process. Hopefully, we'll be working with each other come March.

Cheers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:06 pm

Does anyone have an interview this week due to the snow days pushing back the schedule? I hope not because the wait is killing me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have an interview this week due to the snow days pushing back the schedule? I hope not because the wait is killing me.
I interviewed the day after the USPTO had a snow day (1/15) and they explicitly told me that interviews would be completed that Friday. No mention of rescheduling after the initial interview period.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have an interview this week due to the snow days pushing back the schedule? I hope not because the wait is killing me.
I interviewed the day after the USPTO had a snow day (1/15) and they explicitly told me that interviews would be completed that Friday. No mention of rescheduling after the initial interview period.

Here's hoping they spent the weekend and holiday making these decisions. Turnaround time with work is going to be razor thin as it is, I'd rather not have them spend this entire week deliberating and then wait to send out notices on Friday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:27 pm

I also was told that the interviews were completed last Friday. I am both excited but also nervous about this job because there is such a wide range of what people say about it. Regarding the average work day and the 8-10 applications, what exactly does handling 8-10 applications per day mean? There are also some more recent posts about people worried about a change in the quota system, and having to work long hours. I am not lazy or anything, but I would like an accurate depiction of what this job actually is like, and what we are expected to do to meet the quotas. :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Here's hoping they spent the weekend and holiday making these decisions. Turnaround time with work is going to be razor thin as it is, I'd rather not have them spend this entire week deliberating and then wait to send out notices on Friday.
Agreed. I know a lot of applicants are from different states (as am I) so it’s already a tight timeline to try and find an apartment, move, etc. without any extra interview or deliberation periods. Good luck everyone!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agreed. I know a lot of applicants are from different states (as am I) so it’s already a tight timeline to try and find an apartment, move, etc. without any extra interview or deliberation periods. Good luck everyone!
That is true. i wonder if that will give a big advantage to local applicants at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:35 am

Woke up to find a email at 1:30 am from USA Jobs saying there was a status update to an application. Thankfully, it turned out to be for the Trademark Attorney class that closed on 6/18 and not for the current class (closed 11/18). Saw the 'Not Hired" and nearly freaked out. Looks like they are finally cleaning out the old applications, at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:22 am

So does anyone remember when they said we would hear back? They gave a timeline in the interview but i was focused on the interview

Mcupy00

New

Post by Mcupy00 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:15 am

All I heard from them was that they’d make decisions as soon as possible after interviews ended. I think in years past they’ve told people more or less a month before the start date, so I would imagine they’d have everyone that makes the cut informed by end of January/early February.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

S.P.F. 30

New

Post by S.P.F. 30 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I also was told that the interviews were completed last Friday. I am both excited but also nervous about this job because there is such a wide range of what people say about it. Regarding the average work day and the 8-10 applications, what exactly does handling 8-10 applications per day mean? There are also some more recent posts about people worried about a change in the quota system, and having to work long hours. I am not lazy or anything, but I would like an accurate depiction of what this job actually is like, and what we are expected to do to meet the quotas. :?
Two weeks ago, I was told they wanted 10-12. When they detailed tee job, it would be pulling an application from a queue and running it through the process (TESS check and general application of Lan. Act principles) and then signing off or drafting an Office Action rejection. Wash, rinse, repeat 10-12 times a day, 300 days a year, for the next 12-20 years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So does anyone remember when they said we would hear back? They gave a timeline in the interview but i was focused on the interview
I recall them saying that it would be this week. I'm not surprised if they're going to delay because they're running out of money. My friend who works there (not as a trademark examiner) said USPTO probably only has 2-3 weeks of money left.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:07 pm

So we are expected to issue 10-12 Office Actions or acceptances per day?

Mcupy00

New

Post by Mcupy00 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:32 pm

I think we’d be shooting to get through 10-12 applications per day, some of which might take more time to write up/ etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

S.P.F. 30

New

Post by S.P.F. 30 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So we are expected to issue 10-12 Office Actions or acceptances per day?
That was my understanding, yes. Note, this is the expectation following the initial training and monitoring period, not right off the bat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:20 pm

I am so excited and anxious! :shock: Keeping my fingers crossed for good news, and that an appropriations deal can be reached soon so that the start date is not delayed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Woke up to find a email at 1:30 am from USA Jobs saying there was a status update to an application. Thankfully, it turned out to be for the Trademark Attorney class that closed on 6/18 and not for the current class (closed 11/18). Saw the 'Not Hired" and nearly freaked out. Looks like they are finally cleaning out the old applications, at least.
Got nervous and called HR. Confirmed that they were doing housecleaning on last year's listing (TMO-2018-0030) and that they had not yet made decisions on the current cycle. Epic troll, HR, kudos. 8)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:04 pm

I was told that they would probably have decisions by the end of January and that if they call your references, you likely got the job. You will probably not get a rejection if you are just below the cut line because they have had issues with people accepting and then not showing up so they wait. I would guess that you would know if you didn't have an offer by March 11! haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”