Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:43 pm

I also haven't a heard word yet from the USPTO. I thought my interview went well and I thought I was qualified. It does seem like a lot of people on this forum have heard, but I am sure many others have not. I do wish they would at least send rejection letters to us. I am still holding out hope until Friday, since there were people who said they were contacted well into late last week. Maybe there's still a chance for us either this week or next week? Have you considered calling HR to ask whether they are done with making decisions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Just spoke to someone who stated that the person who would really know where they are in the process is out on leave right now and to try back after the new year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:01 pm

And it is unfortunate that they don't send out rejections. Seems like it would be pretty easy to do through USAJOBS. If it weren't for this board, I would have no idea at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks for checking! I also called and spoke with someone this afternoon and asked where they are in the process and they said selections are still being made. That gives me hope, but I wonder if that means that people are still being selected or if that means that everyone who has been selected has been contacted already and it's simply just a matter of getting all the reference checks done before formal offers are sent. If it's the latter, the ship has sailed for those of us who have not heard a word. If it's the former, there may still be hope.

The selection process happening in the middle of the holiday season certainly puts a wrinkle on things. My only hope is that they have made all selections for the January class but haven't yet filled up the March or May classes. It doesn't sound like a lot of people in this forum have indicated that they were selected for the May class.

Was anyone else asked during their interview whether any of the classes would work for them? Is that a customary question?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Looks like 7 people in this forum have said they were contacted about references (including the person who said they were contacted late in the day last Friday). It's entirely possible that they are still making decisions and will contact people this or next week. I'm guessing the holidays may be slowing things down. We're not out of the running yet, hopefully!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:25 am

I still think at this point additional calls are only going to be made if any spots are declined.

I encourage everyone who hasn't heard to call the USPTO for an update, now and for future hiring cycles. I think this might encourage them to send out rejection letters instead of leaving everyone hanging in stressful suspense. And at least you'll know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just found this thread for the first time and want to outline what I've been through in case it helps anyone. I interviewed right after Thanksgiving, and was told offers would go out Monday 12/11. I got a call on 12/14 asking for permission for them to contact my references. I was told that my references would be contacted the following week, and I would receive a call from HR within a week or two with an offer. I was contacted on 12/19 by a reference to let me know they had received contact from the USPTO. On 12/20, someone from the USPTO called me to say that they had contacted all my references but heard nothing back yet, and asked if I had additional references. I said I could, but the caller said not to worry as only a day had passed, and understood that because of the time of year it might take a few days, and said he would get back to me the next day.

I haven't heard anything since then. My guess is that the person who called me was trying to get things squared away before they went on vacation. If any of you are in the DC area, you know how quiet it is. I assume we'll hear by the end of the week or early next week, but fingers crossed for something sooner... Given how they've been simultaneously moving very quickly yet so slowly, who knows?
Thank you for sharing, this is super helpful! What is your start date? I'm (im)patiently waiting for an update after an e-mail about reference checks. My references have not been called yet, and I'm wondering who to talk to if I don't hear anything by early next week. Do you know if the managing attorneys handle reference checks, or does someone from HR do it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just found this thread for the first time and want to outline what I've been through in case it helps anyone. I interviewed right after Thanksgiving, and was told offers would go out Monday 12/11. I got a call on 12/14 asking for permission for them to contact my references. I was told that my references would be contacted the following week, and I would receive a call from HR within a week or two with an offer. I was contacted on 12/19 by a reference to let me know they had received contact from the USPTO. On 12/20, someone from the USPTO called me to say that they had contacted all my references but heard nothing back yet, and asked if I had additional references. I said I could, but the caller said not to worry as only a day had passed, and understood that because of the time of year it might take a few days, and said he would get back to me the next day.

I haven't heard anything since then. My guess is that the person who called me was trying to get things squared away before they went on vacation. If any of you are in the DC area, you know how quiet it is. I assume we'll hear by the end of the week or early next week, but fingers crossed for something sooner... Given how they've been simultaneously moving very quickly yet so slowly, who knows?
Thank you for sharing, this is super helpful! What is your start date? I'm (im)patiently waiting for an update after an e-mail about reference checks. My references have not been called yet, and I'm wondering who to talk to if I don't hear anything by early next week. Do you know if the managing attorneys handle reference checks, or does someone from HR do it?
I'm not this poster you quoted, but I figured I'd hop in considering I've been F5ing this thread regularly and in a similar situation. I am another one of the posters that was contacted two Thursdays ago (12/14) to check my references, but I didn't ask about which start date it is for. I do know all my references were contacted early the following week, and I still haven't heard anything in terms of an offer, so I plan to call HR later next week if I still haven't heard anything. My thinking is that yesterday and today were the most likely days to hear something, because tomorrow there will probably be even more people out of the office for a long weekend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 am

I'm the guy quoted. I was contacted by the same senior attorney each time. It seems like they handle the reference checks, and will pass everything on to HR once they receive responses. Given its the Friday before a long weekend I wouldn't be shocked if we don't hear anything today, but who knows (although if anyone reading this has called them please let us know). Does anyone have any info on specific start dates? I'm not sure which class I would be in, but just want to get a rough idea if possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the guy quoted. I was contacted by the same senior attorney each time. It seems like they handle the reference checks, and will pass everything on to HR once they receive responses. Given its the Friday before a long weekend I wouldn't be shocked if we don't hear anything today, but who knows (although if anyone reading this has called them please let us know). Does anyone have any info on specific start dates? I'm not sure which class I would be in, but just want to get a rough idea if possible.
I would hope that January offers have already been sent out, because finding that out after the New Year would be a pretty rushed experience toward the 22nd, so that would leave March or May (sorry I don't know any specifics, but I thought they were all later in the months). There was one poster a bit ago that mentioned he/she was called by HR for a January offer, but still hadn't received the in-hand offer. If you're out there January poster, we'd love to know if you've heard anything since then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 am

Well, here we go everyone! I hope you all had a Happy New Year, and we'll all hopefully have some clarity over the next few days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:59 pm

Has anyone - offer and no offer - called today to check on their status? (I am sick today but plan on calling tomorrow.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone - offer and no offer - called today to check on their status? (I am sick today but plan on calling tomorrow.)
I'm one of the people called on 12/14 and whose references were contacted the week before Christmas, but I haven't heard anything since then. I haven't called yet, but plan to either tomorrow or Thursday. As much as I want to hear something today, I'm guessing everyone there is just playing catch-up ball today and we're more likely to hear something later in the week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:34 pm

Good point!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:17 pm

I was the January offer person. I received a tentative offer letter around the time of my last post (before xmas) and had to fill out some paperwork to proceed. I just received by final offer letter today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was the January offer person. I received a tentative offer letter around the time of my last post (before xmas) and had to fill out some paperwork to proceed. I just received by final offer letter today.
Thanks for the update, were these letters sent by email? Also, what paperwork did you have to fill out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Both by email and it was just a declaration of federal employment form. Other forms need to be filled out before I start, including a background check.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:22 pm

I am the optimistic person who posted a couple of weeks ago. I am not as optimistic anymore, since I haven't received anything (email or phone call) asking for reference checks. At this point, I really just want to know if anyone who hasn't received a reference check call/email is out of the running. I'm assuming it's a rejection if we haven't heard about references at this point, but a small part of me thinks that maybe they are very slow, especially since it seems that some references have not yet been checked and Jan offer letters are just going out today. I think what I really need is some closure. I called someone at the USPTO late last week and they said management was still in the process of making selections (which made me hopeful) and they also said I should contact HR for a clearer answer. I contacted HR today, but they didn't pick up. I just really would like to know for certain so that I can move on. A rejection letter would be a kindness if I am indeed rejected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:34 pm

They never send rejections - this site is the only way to even know if emails for interviews and then offers are going out. I encourage you to continue calling - for your own closure and to (hopefully) encourage them to start sending out "not selected" notices via USAJOBS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Does anyone have any information on start dates for each class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on start dates for each class?
March 19 for the March class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:45 pm

No one seems to be there today. I've tried calling, but no answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No one seems to be there today. I've tried calling, but no answer.
The one poster a few back did mention receiving a formal offer email today for the January class, so there may be a skeleton crew for certain things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:49 pm

For those being considered for the March class, have your references been contacted yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those being considered for the March class, have your references been contacted yet?
No, and I was asked for permission to check references two weeks ago. Anyone else?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”