Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any more interview offers?

Do they usually come out at once? I submitted my written statement on October 25th, 2017.

I haven't received an interview offer though.

Does everyone receive a written statement request, or that's the first set of chopping?

Hi! From what I have heard from some of my friends at the PTO, not everyone receives a request for a written statement and the interview requests are released in waves. I also submitted my written statement on the 25th and I received a request for an interview on Nov. 2nd.

I hope you hear soon!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:51 pm

I interviewed yesterday. I was told there were over 600 applicants and they only interview around 25% of them. This week was the second week of interviews and they will interview for 2 more weeks. Once you get to the interview stage it's because you've been deemed qualified and they need to narrow the candidates down based on fit and personality.

This round the USPTO is hiring 60 applicants for three separate classes of around twenty examiners each. The first will start in late January, the second in March and the third in May. Offers will go out in late December.

I interviewed with a panel of ten and a panel of seven, each for 30-40 minutes. As a lot of other candidates have mentioned, the first panel is an explanation of the job. What I haven't seen mentioned is that there are one or two people chosen to play bad cop-they come off less engaged and less friendly at the start and ask about whther you can deal with critique of your work, what you'd do if come 3pm you had finished meeting your production requirements, or how you're experience prooves that you can turn out quality work at a quick pace. One of my bad cops asked a question that I had already answered a few minutes previous, which was kind of lame. In my case there were only one or two attorneys in each panel who didn't ask questions. Most of them were friendly and interested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

Hello! I haven't heard anything about an interview at all... does that mean I wasn't selected?

For the record, I just verified and my writing sample/questionnaire was actually due October 26th 2017 which is also when I turned it in.

Could this possibly be for a different class? Did anyone else have a 10/26 deadline?

anon821

New

Post by anon821 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello! I haven't heard anything about an interview at all... does that mean I wasn't selected?

For the record, I just verified and my writing sample/questionnaire was actually due October 26th 2017 which is also when I turned it in.

Could this possibly be for a different class? Did anyone else have a 10/26 deadline?

Hey! I'm sorry you haven't heard, yet. I hope you do. I got my interview request a week after submitting my written statement. The interview coordinator told me they are interviewing for two more weeks (this week and next) to fill three different classes this year, each with around 20 people. From what I hear it is not at all uncommon to not hear anything back at all. One of my friends used to work at the PTO on the patent side, left and has since interviewed for a couple different positions on both the patent and trademark sides and she never was formally rejected. Her applications are still pending even though they are over a year old now.

nochill808

New

Post by nochill808 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed yesterday. I was told there were over 600 applicants and they only interview around 25% of them. This week was the second week of interviews and they will interview for 2 more weeks. Once you get to the interview stage it's because you've been deemed qualified and they need to narrow the candidates down based on fit and personality.

This round the USPTO is hiring 60 applicants for three separate classes of around twenty examiners each. The first will start in late January, the second in March and the third in May. Offers will go out in late December.

I interviewed with a panel of ten and a panel of seven, each for 30-40 minutes. As a lot of other candidates have mentioned, the first panel is an explanation of the job. What I haven't seen mentioned is that there are one or two people chosen to play bad cop-they come off less engaged and less friendly at the start and ask about whther you can deal with critique of your work, what you'd do if come 3pm you had finished meeting your production requirements, or how you're experience prooves that you can turn out quality work at a quick pace. One of my bad cops asked a question that I had already answered a few minutes previous, which was kind of lame. In my case there were only one or two attorneys in each panel who didn't ask questions. Most of them were friendly and interested.
Really appreciate this info. My first interview will be after Thanksgiving. Did they indicate whether they will be doing more than one round of interviews? I’ve noticed past responses (and Glassdoor) indicated some people had 2-3 rounds of interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 am

Really appreciate this info. My first interview will be after Thanksgiving. Did they indicate whether they will be doing more than one round of interviews? I’ve noticed past responses (and Glassdoor) indicated some people had 2-3 rounds of interviews.
They used to do 2-3 rounds of interviews, but they changed their interview process within the last couple years and now they just do the one round of interviews with the two panels. Good luck in your interview!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Has anyone who interviewed heard anything yet? I interviewed a few weeks ago. I'm not sure when the last day for interviews was, but they indicated they'd let us know before Christmas. I'm hoping we hear something soon! This is a dream job for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who interviewed heard anything yet? I interviewed a few weeks ago. I'm not sure when the last day for interviews was, but they indicated they'd let us know before Christmas. I'm hoping we hear something soon! This is a dream job for me.
I interviewed this week and they said they are still interviewing into early next week and hopefully making decisions by Christmas, possibly by the end of the year though. First class starts January 22. They’re picking from about 160 people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who interviewed heard anything yet? I interviewed a few weeks ago. I'm not sure when the last day for interviews was, but they indicated they'd let us know before Christmas. I'm hoping we hear something soon! This is a dream job for me.
Hi Everyone! I interviewed last week and was told there would "hopefully" be decisions by late next week or early the following week, which is technically "before Christmas." Similar to what many others have been saying, I was told that there are 60 total spots over 3 classes--January, March, and May--with about 150-60 interviewees. I'll be frequently checking back for when others' references start being contacted so that I can drive myself even more crazy with the wait. Best of luck to everyone that interviewed, and hopefully we'll get a holiday miracle and hear something earlier!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Hi Everyone! I interviewed last week and was told there would "hopefully" be decisions by late next week or early the following week, which is technically "before Christmas." Similar to what many others have been saying, I was told that there are 60 total spots over 3 classes--January, March, and May--with about 150-60 interviewees. I'll be frequently checking back for when others' references start being contacted so that I can drive myself even more crazy with the wait. Best of luck to everyone that interviewed, and hopefully we'll get a holiday miracle and hear something earlier!
That is good to know! Late next week is as early as Dec 14/15 then! My guess is that they'll let us know the following week... hopefully by Dec 22nd! I am frequently checking this forum as well.

How did all your interviews go? What kinds of questions were asked?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 pm

The great thing about being one of the last to interview is not having to wait so long to figure out if it's a yay or a nay!

I was asked about how my experience would translate to a high production job; how I would respond to criticism and review of my work for an extended period of time; and why I was applying there in the first place. I was told that if I made it as far as an interview, I was doing well. Did have a weird vibe from a few of the gentlemen in my second interview from basically the get-go - I think the "good cop-bad cop" routine may be a legitimate assessment?

Here's to everyone getting the news they want soon! And if you don't get it, unless you have something amazing come next year, take a few days to lick your wounds and then commit to trying again. Everyone there is so happy, it seems worth it!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The great thing about being one of the last to interview is not having to wait so long to figure out if it's a yay or a nay!

I was asked about how my experience would translate to a high production job; how I would respond to criticism and review of my work for an extended period of time; and why I was applying there in the first place. I was told that if I made it as far as an interview, I was doing well. Did have a weird vibe from a few of the gentlemen in my second interview from basically the get-go - I think the "good cop-bad cop" routine may be a legitimate assessment?

Here's to everyone getting the news they want soon! And if you don't get it, unless you have something amazing come next year, take a few days to lick your wounds and then commit to trying again. Everyone there is so happy, it seems worth it!
I had a very similar experience. One room seemed less receptive with its good-cop, bad-cop routine, while the other room seemed more welcoming and conversational. I had some of the vague, behavioral questions that other posters have mentioned--e.g., why should we hire you versus everyone else interviewing--but I think those questions are meant to just see if you can think on your feet a little and come up with a coherent answer. Otherwise, I hope we'll hear something soon!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:43 am

Has anyone heard anything yet from the USPTO or from references? I know there probably won't be any decisions until next week, but that probably means that HR is going to start researching candidates for offers sooner than that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 pm

I haven't. Not that I keep checking this page to see if anyone else has. :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:35 pm

I haven't heard anything either. My guess is that those selected will get calls about references sometime next week, since it appears that they were still interviewing until Monday and they said that we'd hear by Christmas. Here's hoping we hear before Christmas! I'm glad we have this forum to check and keep each other updated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:11 am

The agency declined to interview me...again. I think that this must be my 12th rejection to date and I've decided to pursue other employment opportunities. I think that I've been out of law school too long to be considered. I wish you all the best and pray that you get what you desire.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:01 am

Do you know anyone who works there, to have them look over your application before you submit it? Because of the huge volume of applicants, even one little thing will get your application rejected...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:The agency declined to interview me...again. I think that this must be my 12th rejection to date and I've decided to pursue other employment opportunities. I think that I've been out of law school too long to be considered. I wish you all the best and pray that you get what you desire.
I'm sorry to hear that. It's not easy wishing anyone the best when things don't work out, so I think that makes everyone here even more appreciative of the good vibes you're sending our way regardless. Best wishes go to you as well!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Could tomorrow be the day those selected hear back?? Or will it be next week? I've been waiting for about a month now since my interview!

Also, for those who have been rejected after interviewing in the past, did you get a rejection letter? And how long after the interview did you get one?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 am

Although I was told that offers could go out this week, like everyone else I am not expecting anything to happen until next week or even after the holidays. The offers will go out at around the same time for everyone, no matter when you interviewed in the process.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that the rejections could probably be sent out rather easily through USAJOBS, I have never heard of anyone getting formally rejected. This forum is the best place to find out that you didn't get the job. People will be posting that their references have started getting calls and/or that they got offers and/or that they have started their training.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Did anyone hear anything about reference calls or offers this week? I'm still guessing we won't hear until next week. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be early next week!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:38 am

Here's to knowing this week so we can enjoy our holidays or focus on our backup plans. It is comforting to know I am not anxiously waiting on my own...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 pm

It is definitely nice knowing that I am not waiting alone to hear. Also, it's nice knowing that we will know either way, since people will be posting in this forum when they hear. Hopefully we will know this week! Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Anyone hear anything about reference calls/offers today?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”