Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The less experience you have the more likely you are to be hired.
This is almost definitely true. Everyone starts at GS11, even if they have already advanced to a higher grade level in another agency. I interviewed as a GS12, and would have had to go back to 11 had I been offered and accepted the position. They had this information as part of my application package. The work was also far less varied and entailed a lot less responsibility than I already had as a GS12 attorney in another agency, and they kept pressing me to explain how I'd be able to stay motivated in the USPTO environment.
I had the same exact experience! My TM exposure is in the private sector - but was also asked at least 5 times how this transition was going to work out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Does anyone know if the Trademark Office is going to open up positions for Attorney Advisor? Based on past job announcements, the posting usually goes up around end of June

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if the Trademark Office is going to open up positions for Attorney Advisor? Based on past job announcements, the posting usually goes up around end of June
The Commissioner of Trademarks reported in early May that trademark examiner hiring for FY2017 was completed before the hiring freeze. I'm not sure what this means going forward, and whether things are going to operate on a more delayed timeline this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:28 pm

I applied for the USPTO Trademark Examiner position in September. Did anyone hear back about additional submissions, particularly the written statements?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied for the USPTO Trademark Examiner position in September. Did anyone hear back about additional submissions, particularly the written statements?
I applied and haven't heard anything yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ribaudmr

New

Post by ribaudmr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied for the USPTO Trademark Examiner position in September. Did anyone hear back about additional submissions, particularly the written statements?
I applied and haven't heard anything either.
Last edited by ribaudmr on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:07 pm

ribaudmr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I applied and haven't heard anything either.

FallonJ

New

Post by FallonJ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Someone told me that they received an e-mail with the subject "Referred to Selecting Official - WRITTEN STATEMENT REQUEST."

I haven't received one. Does everyone receive this e-mail at the same time?

chungy411

New

Post by chungy411 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 pm

FallonJ wrote:Someone told me that they received an e-mail with the subject "Referred to Selecting Official - WRITTEN STATEMENT REQUEST."

I'm not sure if all the emails come out the same time but I just checked my email and the writing request came in at 8:38pm. I'm sure yours is on the way!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:11 am

No, the requests for additional information do not all go out at the same time. Try not to lose hope - this can be a long and repetitive process. Not a small number of people apply MANY times before getting an offer - if you have any kind of experience at all, it will be even more difficult for you to get hired. It's better to know all of that up front so that you have reasonable expectations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:30 pm

That sounded so pessimistic - but I mean it! Keep trying! People love working there.

FallonJ

New

Post by FallonJ » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:05 pm

chungy411 wrote:
FallonJ wrote:Someone told me that they received an e-mail with the subject "Referred to Selecting Official - WRITTEN STATEMENT REQUEST."

I'm not sure if all the emails come out the same time but I just checked my email and the writing request came in at 8:38pm. I'm sure yours is on the way!
You're right. I received mine a little after midnight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Can anyone provide a little more detail about the production requirements? Are they feasible or are you killing yourself to meet them? I’ve searched the whole thread but there doesn’t seem to be much info about the job specifics on here. Also, when do you get to telework? After the first year? Can you telework all 5 workdays?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone provide a little more detail about the production requirements? Are they feasible or are you killing yourself to meet them? I’ve searched the whole thread but there doesn’t seem to be much info about the job specifics on here. Also, when do you get to telework? After the first year? Can you telework all 5 workdays?
The two main areas of your rating are based on the quantity and quality of your work. You will be trained to produce the highest quality work, so I wouldn't worry about that at the beginning. The production requirements are difficult at first; there is a learning curve, but you don't have to kill yourself to meet them. Once you gain your footing, your production will naturally increase, and meeting your production goals becomes easier.

Generally speaking, you can begin teleworking 1 or 2 days a week after your first year. Around the end of your second year, you are eligible to telework full time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone provide a little more detail about the production requirements? Are they feasible or are you killing yourself to meet them? I’ve searched the whole thread but there doesn’t seem to be much info about the job specifics on here. Also, when do you get to telework? After the first year? Can you telework all 5 workdays?
The two main areas of your rating are based on the quantity and quality of your work. You will be trained to produce the highest quality work, so I wouldn't worry about that at the beginning. The production requirements are difficult at first; there is a learning curve, but you don't have to kill yourself to meet them. Once you gain your footing, your production will naturally increase, and meeting your production goals becomes easier.

Generally speaking, you can begin teleworking 1 or 2 days a week after your first year. Around the end of your second year, you are eligible to telework full time.
Thanks for your response!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Has anyone heard word for first round interviews regarding the latest opening?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:24 pm

I haven't heard anything yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Just found out I got an interview! This will be my third try lol, hope the third time's the charm! :lol:

I heard that many people get the job after several rounds of interviews and rejections. If you got it on your 2nd or 3rd (4th?) try, what did you do differently when you got an offer? Any advice for repeat interviewers like myself?

I'm seeing a few posts on here saying that more experience means less chance of getting hired - is it because they assume an experienced lawyer wouldn't want to leave a law firm job for a GS-11 position with less responsibility? In my previous interviews, they insinuated that the job is boring and repetitive, and asked how I feel about taking a pay cut. The truth is, I'm at a small firm that doesn't pay particularly well, I don't enjoy practicing law, and I want out of private practice. If I don't get into the USPTO or another government position soon, I will most likely go back to school and/or change careers. Can't exactly say this in an interview, lol. Any thoughts on how to convey that I'd much rather be a trademark examining attorney than work at a law firm without coming off as negative or lazy?

The toughest interview questions I had were about how I will meet production quotas and deal with tough deadlines. I have not worked in an environment with routinely high production volumes and tight deadlines, and I couldn't come up with a more compelling answer than I'll work really hard. Any advice on how to handle that?

Best of luck to everyone else who applied this round!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:07 pm

I love your positive outlook and go-getter spirit!

Yes, I think that is part of the concern, that lawyers with experience are really there to pad their resume. "I'm a big firm trademark attorney who has experience from the inside." But I think it's unfair to apply that concern so heavily to attorneys with experience, when the baby attorneys I have seen hired there (fresh out of law school and/or clerkships) would be just as likely to leave for other jobs.

If you don't have much experience in a fast-paced heavy-deadline arena, talk about the aspects of your current job that do translate to the position. Attention to detail. Client interaction. Research and writing experience. And talk about other jobs that you may have had that were taxing, or even law school.

I think it is ok to mention that you would prefer government work over the private sector and why. There is a lot of honest appeal in what may at times feel monotonous - less stress, more reliable hours, no billing. The same things that make the job more appealing to you likely attracted the people interviewing you to the job as well.

Of course take all of this with a grain of salt - I do not work there. Continuing to apply and come up with my own ways to assure them that my experience makes me valuable, not a risk. I hope an experienced attorney who has survived the gauntlet provides some input at well.

playpowerball

New

Post by playpowerball » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just found out I got an interview! This will be my third try lol, hope the third time's the charm! :lol:

I heard that many people get the job after several rounds of interviews and rejections. If you got it on your 2nd or 3rd (4th?) try, what did you do differently when you got an offer? Any advice for repeat interviewers like myself?

I'm seeing a few posts on here saying that more experience means less chance of getting hired - is it because they assume an experienced lawyer wouldn't want to leave a law firm job for a GS-11 position with less responsibility? In my previous interviews, they insinuated that the job is boring and repetitive, and asked how I feel about taking a pay cut. The truth is, I'm at a small firm that doesn't pay particularly well, I don't enjoy practicing law, and I want out of private practice. If I don't get into the USPTO or another government position soon, I will most likely go back to school and/or change careers. Can't exactly say this in an interview, lol. Any thoughts on how to convey that I'd much rather be a trademark examining attorney than work at a law firm without coming off as negative or lazy?

The toughest interview questions I had were about how I will meet production quotas and deal with tough deadlines. I have not worked in an environment with routinely high production volumes and tight deadlines, and I couldn't come up with a more compelling answer than I'll work really hard. Any advice on how to handle that?

Hey congratulations on the interview! Did you hear back via phone call or email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:46 pm

playpowerball wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just found out I got an interview! This will be my third try lol, hope the third time's the charm! :lol:

Hey congratulations on the interview! Did you hear back via phone call or email?
Thanks! I got an e-mail with an assigned interview time and instructions for getting into the building.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:32 pm

Congrats on the interview! When did you submit your written statement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Just got an interview offer today, my writing statement was due by October 25. Hope that helps! I know the interview offers don't come all at once, so try not to stress too much.

And keep applying. And applying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Has anyone received any more interview offers?

Do they usually come out at once? I submitted my written statement on October 25th, 2017.

I haven't received an interview offer though.

Does everyone receive a written statement request, or that's the first set of chopping?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 am

I'm honestly not sure about the whole process (though I should be, like most people, this isn't my first time applying). Also, they have changed the way they hire - from several times a year to just once.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”