Offered 1L callback, then asked for grades... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offered 1L callback, then asked for grades...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:03 pm

So I'm in a bit of a predicament. I was offered a callback from a V50 satellite in a major market. The firm later followed up with a request for grades after I accepted the interview offer (which I sent in). Grades are under median at a T10.

I'm anticipating I will be asked about my grades and am unsure how to approach answering the question. I met with my professors and they said (consistently) that my error was that I focused on too many issues and that took away from analyzing the more important issues in greater depth (I think this is quite fixable with practice, but obviously won't have anything to show for it until after this semester). The only other "factors" which I think possibly impacted my grades were (1) I usually have a hard time transitioning to new areas (had a similar problem at my undergrad - low first semester grades and then good grades after) and (2) the girl I was going to propose to over winter break left me for another guy two days before finals (which I don't really think is appropriate to bring up in an interview).

Thoughts?

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Re: Offered 1L callback, then asked for grades...

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:20 pm

KISS. Keep it simple, don't make excuses, don't apologize, and say you sat down with your professors and fixed whatever it was that was wrong.

Basically, exude enough confidence that it is not a problem and you will improve.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”