Am I setting myself up for failure here?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I setting myself up for failure here?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:07 pm

I have median grades at a T2. I have been focused on prosecution since day 1 and have great grades in criminal classes ( A's). Have trial experience, multiple internships, and would likely be able to get a prosecution job in my home state.

However my fiance wont be able to get a job in my home state. So I plan on just going where she gets a job and then looking for prosecution jobs. Am I setting myself up for failure without ties to an area?

Tanicius

Re: Am I setting myself up for failure here?

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have median grades at a T2. I have been focused on prosecution since day 1 and have great grades in criminal classes ( A's). Have trial experience, multiple internships, and would likely be able to get a prosecution job in my home state.

However my fiance wont be able to get a job in my home state. So I plan on just going where she gets a job and then looking for prosecution jobs. Am I setting myself up for failure without ties to an area?

This will be hard, yes. But you will not struggle to convince future employers during interviews that you have adequate ties to their state when all you have to tell them is that your wife started a career there, and the only thing keeping you from living there yourself is not having a job. Keep focusing on building your resume and experience, and maybe consider an internship in an out-of-state office just to demonstrate that you're serious about leaving your home state if you have to.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Not necessarily... But... It's going to be a whole lot harder to do so. What year are you? If 2L you could get an internship where y'all are targeting and increase your chances significantly. If 3L, start applying now, if you haven't already. I know 2 people who have done out of market first jobs as DAs without contacts. One applied all over the country, the other moved to a small town where they had a hard time finding attorneys.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 pm

The bigger concern is that it sounds like she doesn't have a job/doesn't know where she's going to end up. That's a lot harder than just wanting to move somewhere for a job.

I don't know what her situation is but law school is a huge investment where if you don't get a job pretty quickly you're basically fucked forever. So maybe you want to think about what should take priority.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:40 pm

^. Good point. Why can't your fiancé get a jerb in your state?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 pm

spleenworship wrote:Not necessarily... But... It's going to be a whole lot harder to do so. What year are you? If 2L you could get an internship where y'all are targeting and increase your chances significantly. If 3L, start applying now, if you haven't already. I know 2 people who have done out of market first jobs as DAs without contacts. One applied all over the country, the other moved to a small town where they had a hard time finding attorneys.

3L. I wish I would have done so. How did he manage that? From my understanding most places don't hire before the bar?

And she's graduating this year and will likely find a teaching job in a different state. She says the job market in Michigan is shit so I take her word for it.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:02 pm

unless she has $200k in loans i think the strategy is for you to apply everywhere and then play it by ear

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:08 pm

Secondary education or college? Secondary Ed is a hell of a lot more flexible than DA work. Your job is harder to find than hers, so she should follow you, not the other way around.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:10 pm

Elementary education. And we have 20k in debt between us.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Elementary education. And we have 20k in debt between us.

She can get a job almost anywhere in the US. You, however, are trying for maybe 200 positions spread out all over the country and mostly going to people who interned/externed/clerked for them. You need to make clear to her that either she follows you somewhere, or you need to get any legal job you can find where she gets a job... An understand that not only will it most likely not be DA, but there's a good chance it will be as a barista.

An to answer your earlier question, both were post bar in states that offered temporary licenses. They had to take and pass a second bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:33 pm

That makes sense but it's also harder to move out of state as your career goes on than it is at the start. At least that's my understanding.

And for the temporary license, don't you need to be working on something before with a firm or other law office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That makes sense but it's also harder to move out of state as your career goes on than it is at the start. At least that's my understanding.

And for the temporary license, don't you need to be working on something before with a firm or other law office?

I think you're setting yourself up for failure. I don't have any hard numbers to back this up, but legal jobs are more rare and more scarce than education jobs, and there's a greater chance that she can find a teaching job where you can find a prosecutor position, than you can find a prosecutor job where she finds a teaching gig.

Unless you're willing to either work in a different area of law, or non-law field altogether, but even then, you having experience as a prosecutor would be a better investment for your future.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:28 pm

You should go where you can find a job. Even if that means going long distance for a year or so. A year or two of experience in a prosecutorial position will make it a hell of a lot easier to switch to another location later. If you go jobless, chances are you will never work in law.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:33 pm

To echo some of the other posters' sentiments, even if she can't find an elementary ed full time position right away, she can always substitute for a year in a school system making pretty close to the same salary and then get in good with a principal or two and have a job pretty easily within a year.

You, on the other hand, do not have that luxury and a year without legal employment will severely hurt your chances for a long period of time.

What states are you considering moving too? If I were you I would continue applying in Michigan to jobs as well as to the states your wife wants you to move too. If all works out perfectly and you get a job in her preferred state than you can move there and be a shining success story. As is more likely, if you are able to secure a job in MI where you have ties but no where else at least you have some legal employment right out of law school to build upon. (Your wife should do the same)

TL;DR: apply everywhere, then follow the jerbs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:57 pm

You are overthinking it. You and she should apply to jobs in Michigan and other target states and see what turns up. Once one of you has a job offer, consider choices. No sense running through hypotheticals. Very simple.

Return to “Legal Employment”