Which do I chose?!?!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which do I chose?!?!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:24 pm

I am a 1L at a T2. I have several summer internship offers that I am deciding between. The relevant options are:

1. SEC Honors Program in DC
2. Citizen Advocacy Center in Chicago
3. FDIC Summer Legal Intern Program in DC
4. USAO in Boston
5. DC Judge in NYC

I want to do Big Law in either DC, Chicago, Boston, or NYC. What internship would be most "prestigious" and open the most doors for me for my 2L summer. Any advice and/or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ph14

Re: Which do I chose?!?!

Postby ph14 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L at a T2. I have several summer internship offers that I am deciding between. The relevant options are:

1. SEC Honors Program in DC
2. Citizen Advocacy Center in Chicago
3. FDIC Summer Legal Intern Program in DC
4. USAO in Boston
5. DC Judge in NYC

I want to do Big Law in either DC, Chicago, Boston, or NYC. What internship would be most "prestigious" and open the most doors for me for my 2L summer. Any advice and/or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Pick the internship in the city that you most want to live in, in my opinion. It helps establish ties and credibility that you want to end up in that city during OCI. I don't think any is significantly more prestigious than the others for purposes of OCI.

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Congrats on all the great options.

If you're interested in corporate work, I'd do the SEC honors.

If you're interested in litigation, either at a large firm or with the government, I'd do the USAO.

If you're unsure, the district court judge in NYC will give you broad exposure to a couple areas of law and won't brand you as interested in a specific area of law (so you could interview for corporate firm jobs, litigation firm jobs, government jobs etc).

This is assuming location doesn't matter to you. If it does, pick the location that you'd want to work in post graduation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:58 pm

OP here - Thanks guys! I am also still in the running for the ABA Judicial Intern Opportunity Program. Is that worth passing up or should I stay?

Also, any other advice to my initial question would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - Thanks guys! I am also still in the running for the ABA Judicial Intern Opportunity Program. Is that worth passing up or should I stay?

Also, any other advice to my initial question would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Is DC your first choice location wise? If so and you are not from there I would consider taking one of the internship located there. It's a pretty tough market to break into. When I was interviewing "why DC" came up a few times. I'm not from the area but doing my internship there helped me have a pretty solid response to that question. Besides that, all of your options seem like pretty great opportunities. It sounds cliche but there really is no "bad" choice here. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:53 pm

OP - when did you interview with the USAO in Boston?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:56 pm

I'd choose between USAO and SEC, unless you specifically prefer any of the remaining locations.

jselson

Postby jselson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:28 pm

Do USAO cause everyone says it's friggin' awesome.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:41 am

Have you asked anyone about split summers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:46 am

OP here..I interviewed with the USAO about 2-3 weeks ago (phone)...

Haven't inquired about split summers because I didn't want to ruin my chances of getting selected. Do you think that would fly?

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:29 am

You said you already had offers. They aren't going to take them away because you called and asked.

Return to “Legal Employment”