Rescinding a 1L internship acceptance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rescinding a 1L internship acceptance

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Hypothetically of course. If I recently accepted a government unpaid position in another city, but then I get a very nice paid gig at a firm (one which I would be happy to work for after graduation) in my target market. Besides burning my ties to that government organization, would it have any impact on the firm job? Should I blame it more on a change of personal circumstances rather than bringing up the other offer?

The difference would be probably 2-3 weeks between accepting the offer and then rescinding.

kalvano

Re: Rescinding a 1L internship acceptance

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:53 pm

You should absolutely take the paying job.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:56 pm

As soon as you can, you should let the govt job know. You can say that while you were looking forward to spending the summer at X, you got another offer that more closely aligns with your permanent career goals. You don't have to bluntly say that you're taking the paying gig, although they will probably guess that this is the case. They understand that money is important. Don't be vague and disingenuous about 'personal issues' or whatever.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:02 pm

I was in the same situation 1L year. After accepting the firm gig I immediately e-mailed the government agency thanking them for the opportunity but saying I had something that was a better fit. I don't believe there were any repercussions - they said alright and that was it. So, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Money is money, and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:04 pm

OP here. Can I expect any possible consequences? I would think that the worst could be that the gov job calls my public interest career office and complains. I wouldn't think the other firm would rescind their offer, since they don't know about it.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Can I expect any possible consequences? I would think that the worst could be that the gov job calls my public interest career office and complains. I wouldn't think the other firm would rescind their offer, since they don't know about it.

There will be no consequences. They have plenty of time to replace you for the summer and they will never remember your name. As someone who declined a paying job because I felt bad rescinding a government offer only to realize they could not have cared any less, take the paying job and don't think about it for two seconds.

Edit: just be apologetic and explain that with loans you could really use the money and the potential for post-grad employment, yada yada yada.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:56 pm

No, don't say that last bit, just say what rink suggested about finding a position that aligned more closely with your long-term goals. Saying you want money and a better shot at a permanent job (i.e. that you don't see their line of work as a post-grad job) isn't going to endear you to someone who works there full time and probably did unpaid summer gigs.

I mean, it's not a big deal - it's still not going to burn bridges or make any difference. It's just a little tacky. Maybe plenty of people wouldn't care, but still. (Everyone knows law students have loans and need money, but you don't need to say it.)

champ33

Postby champ33 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:17 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:No, don't say that last bit, just say what rink suggested about finding a position that aligned more closely with your long-term goals. Saying you want money and a better shot at a permanent job (i.e. that you don't see their line of work as a post-grad job) isn't going to endear you to someone who works there full time and probably did unpaid summer gigs.

I mean, it's not a big deal - it's still not going to burn bridges or make any difference. It's just a little tacky. Maybe plenty of people wouldn't care, but still. (Everyone knows law students have loans and need money, but you don't need to say it.)

I agree with this if the gov't agency does any hiring out of law school. I was just assuming they do not and would understand what you mean by having a shot at post-grad employment. Either way, the reason you give won't matter. Just rescind.

joiedevivre18

Postby joiedevivre18 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:No, don't say that last bit, just say what rink suggested about finding a position that aligned more closely with your long-term goals. Saying you want money and a better shot at a permanent job (i.e. that you don't see their line of work as a post-grad job) isn't going to endear you to someone who works there full time and probably did unpaid summer gigs.

Agree with this. If you have to decline the govt offer, I would do it in a very courteous way to the person you speak to. I have several family friends who have worked in prominent positions in the corporate world and in government and they have shared stories of "students with poor form" in dealing with something like this. They may not remember names but they definitely remember the circumstances.

I think it depends on the situation. Did you start interviewing with the firm before you accepted the position? If so it's probably understandable. However, if you're starting the interview process NOW, after accepting a position - some might consider that poor form.

That said, at the end of the day, if it's money / prestige you seek (assuming this is a prestigious firm), maybe "good form" matters less to you. If so, no reason not to go for it.

Return to “Legal Employment”