SEC Summer Honors 1L Interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEC Summer Honors 1L Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:08 am

Hi all. I saw a thread regarding the 2L program for this year but didn't see one regarding the 1L program.

I was offered an interview with the NY office for next week and was wondering how the interview is? Do they ask a lot of technical questions?

Also, any sense as to how competitive it is at the interview stage? I know they get tons of applications, but if you get an interview are you in good shape or still a long shot?

Thanks everyone!

Anonymous User

Re: SEC Summer Honors 1L Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:56 am

I didn't get any technical questions. Felt exactly like a big law interview, which makes sense given that the three people who interviewed me were ex-biglaw. They asked questions about random things from my resume and cover letter (my thesis in college, my post-college WE, my listed interests, my desire to ultimately work in the public sector). Had a nice conversation with them, told some jokes, and asked them a few questions about the work that summer interns do.

Had the interview for the NY office monday, and got an offer three hours later.

Be natural and charming if you can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:54 pm

i interviewed with new york a couple of weeks ago. very basic questions to which you should have stock answers, stuff like why the sec? why enforcement? why new york? they also asked me about a specific academic publication on my resume. they asked what classes i'm taking and which are my favorite, which classes i took in the fall, whether i'm planning on taking classes like securities reg next year, etc. new york is a fairly unique enforcement office, make sure you're familiar with different teams like the asset management unit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:24 am

Thanks guys! Any idea as to how competitive it is once you get to the interview stage? Do most interviewers get offers or do they interview a ton of people? Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Daniel_0

New

Post by Daniel_0 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:02 am

Nice post!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:35 am

To those of you who have already interviewed/scheduled interviews...How quickly did you hear back about setting up the interview after submitting your applications?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:34 pm

Has anyone heard back from DC? If so, what departments?

Recently interviewed, but it was sort of awkward and didn't go great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:34 pm

For the poster above - I know someone at CN (not Chicago) who got an interview the week after submitting app and an offer 2 days later...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the poster above - I know someone at CN (not Chicago) who got an interview the week after submitting app and an offer 2 days later...
Good to know, thanks.

And do you think the program is considered "prestigious" or will be helpful in OCI next year compared to working at an AG office or doing public interest work?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For the poster above - I know someone at CN (not Chicago) who got an interview the week after submitting app and an offer 2 days later...
Good to know, thanks.

And do you think the program is considered "prestigious" or will be helpful in OCI next year compared to working at an AG office or doing public interest work?
Prestige is in the eye of the beholder. I think if you want to do corp/transactional or white collar def. depending upon where you end up at the SEC, it can be a great experience. It's probably more competitive than prestigious per se. The get around 10,000 apps (total, including the non legal honors programs, for economist, undergrads, etc) for about 200 spots. Most employers view it as pretty solid 1L summer work, so I've heard. I did the program as a 2L and really enjoyed it. Most employers seemed to be "impressed" by it. But that may because it has the word "honors" in the title of the program. 8)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from DC? If so, what departments?

Recently interviewed, but it was sort of awkward and didn't go great.
yes, corpfin and enforcement

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:35 pm

I recently got an offer from an SEC office for the enforcement division. I'm interested in capital markets work in particular. Would the SEC experience be helpful for that? Anything better for capital markets?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently got an offer from an SEC office for the enforcement division. I'm interested in capital markets work in particular. Would the SEC experience be helpful for that? Anything better for capital markets?
Corp Fin or Investment Management would be better than enforcement for capital markets

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 am

Interviewing with trading and markets soon. Any tips from those that have spoken with them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:33 am

If anyone interviewed in DC and received an offer can you please tell me the amount of time between the interview and offer? thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:08 pm

couple of weeks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't get any technical questions. Felt exactly like a big law interview, which makes sense given that the three people who interviewed me were ex-biglaw. They asked questions about random things from my resume and cover letter (my thesis in college, my post-college WE, my listed interests, my desire to ultimately work in the public sector). Had a nice conversation with them, told some jokes, and asked them a few questions about the work that summer interns do.

Had the interview for the NY office monday, and got an offer three hours later.

Be natural and charming if you can.
I have an interview coming up - was yours a "callback", or is there only one interview? (Mine is only slated for about half an hr)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:22 pm

It depends on the division. I know that some do multiple interviews, while others only do a single phone interview.

Congrats on getting an interview, the positions are quite competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It depends on the division. I know that some do multiple interviews, while others only do a single phone interview.

Congrats on getting an interview, the positions are quite competitive.
Thank you for the information. Do you have any idea of how selective it is once you are given an interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Offer in DC a couple days after the last interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer in DC a couple days after the last interview.
Via e-mail, or phone? How many interviews? Just had a 20 min interview with NYC so I'm curious, thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Via e-mail, or phone? How many interviews? Just had a 20 min interview with NYC so I'm curious, thanks
Via email. 2 interviews with DC, one with a regional office. Has been radio silence with the regional office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Via email. 2 interviews with DC, one with a regional office. Has been radio silence with the regional office.
Got it. Thanks for the info, and congrats on the offer! Hopefully I hear some good news as well next week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:42 am

Also got an offer from Enforcement (about two weeks after interviewing). Does anyone who has accepted the offer know what the security clearance procedure is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also got an offer from Enforcement (about two weeks after interviewing). Does anyone who has accepted the offer know what the security clearance procedure is?
What specifically do you want to know? Expect a background check, credit check, etc

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”