Finding a job in business with avg grades (help)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Finding a job in business with avg grades (help)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:44 pm

About: I'm a 2L who got an in-house job through OCI at a medium-sized company for the summer that pays about $30/hr. Had business-related work last summer also but not in-house. I'm unfortunately below median with slightly over a 3.0 GPA from a regional T50. I'm facing about 40-50k debt due to some help/luck.

Question: I'm wondering whether it would be realistic to think I might be able to get a job (basically any job that pays over 30k) related to business after I graduate. Some attorneys have told me that small firms generally don't get much work from business clients, and that most companies with in-house staff prefer to hire people with Big Law experience or at least some firm experience. I'm aware that there is no way I will work at a large law firm in my career. So I think the main thing is trying to improve my grades and hope for something next year, whether it be another in-house gig or the possibility of working at a small firm. But wondering if anyone has advice, such as "don't even try to get a job at X" or "try networking with other people doing in-house" or "you may as well put your name in the hat for a judicial clerkship at a bankruptcy court," etc. Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”