Window to Accept Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Window to Accept Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:40 pm

This question is about 1L SAs - particularly about the timeline of accepting offers. I just got an offer from a mid-law firm in a secondary market, but I am waiting to hear back from big-law firms I've already interviewed with. According to NALP (http://www.nalp.org/28tipsfor28days), it looks like I have to respond within 28 days; is this true for all firms that show up on http://www.NALPDirectory.com ? I just don't want to assume I have that much time if that isn't actually the case. (Also, do I need to write them back immediately saying I need some time to think, or how should I go about doing this?)

Also, if I do have 28 days, can I use this offer to reach out to the big-law firms in an effort to receive an expedited decision, or would this backfire? If anyone has used one offer to successfully negotiate another offer elsewhere, I'd love to learn more about how to do this.

Lastly, thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Window to Accept Offer

Postby 2014 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:18 pm

I think it's 10 or 14 days for 1L offers, not the full 28. The mid-law firm is almost certainly not bound by that, but you should ask them how long you have to accept. Just be very polite and say you want to have time to talk it over with your family or something.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Window to Accept Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:21 pm

2014 wrote:I think it's 10 or 14 days for 1L offers, not the full 28. The mid-law firm is almost certainly not bound by that, but you should ask them how long you have to accept. Just be very polite and say you want to have time to talk it over with your family or something.

Thank you. Do you know if I can use this offer to negotiate with the big-law firms, or should I not do that?

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Window to Accept Offer

Postby goldeneye » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm pretty sure it's 28 days no matter what. As long as they are actually a NALP firm.

And definitely tell firms that you haven't heard back, are still very interested, and have an offer that expires on Feb XX and you'd like an opportunity to interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Window to Accept Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:31 pm

goldeneye wrote:I'm pretty sure it's 28 days no matter what. As long as they are actually a NALP firm.

And definitely tell firms that you haven't heard back, are still very interested, and have an offer that expires on Feb XX and you'd like an opportunity to interview.

Errr, sorry, the firms are one's I've already interviewed with, but am waiting to hear back with a ding / offer. Should I still approach it the same way as you suggested and write to them saying that I have an offer elsewhere that expires on XX, but would decline that offer if offered at the places I am waiting?

I'm just afraid that trying to rush big-law firms to respond for already-rare 1L SA's will cause them to auto-ding me.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Window to Accept Offer

Postby 2014 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 pm

From Nalp's website:
"All offers to first year students for summer employment should remain open for at least two weeks after the date made."

(Mean that not to be douchey at all, just want OP to have good info)


OP you need to first get a legitimate deadline for your current offer and then I would lean toward giving the info to the big firms. Don't give them an ultimatum, just word it exactly like you said - "I have an employment offer at a firm that I need to respond to by X Date but would strongly prefer to work at your firm instead"

As long as you don't say "if you don't let me know by X date i will be accepting my outstanding offer" or something, I don't see it having a negative impact at all.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.