Importance of Grades After Getting SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:11 am

Currently a 2L at a T14 school, landed an SA in a secondary market, and have average to below average grades at this point. I plan on trying to bring up my grades, but I'm a lot busier this year and don't necessarily see it happening. What do you think will be the effect of my academics on my chances of longterm employment at the firm?

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:35 am

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7302
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:50 am

If they care enough to pull your transcript, you're probably fucked anyway.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:54 am

OP here.

brotherdarkness wrote:There are a litany of threads on this and the general consensus seems to be that you'll be fine and the only time your grades will be determinative is if the firm is already on the fence about you and needs something to push them one way or the other.


Yeah, I read most of the threads, but not many seem to have any people with first hand accounts about grades where they obviously didn't break the candidate in getting the SA, but may do so when it comes down to the offer (it's a lot of through the grapevine type stories), was hoping to get some of that. An SA is a larger investment, so I am just hopeful that the firm is intent on hiring.

Danger Zone wrote:If they care enough to pull your transcript, you're probably fucked anyway.


This may of seemed clever to you, but that statement is retarded. I don't think there is one firm I did a CB for that didn't pull my transcript. In my case, maybe they pull it just to make sure there is no failing, etc.

User avatar
sopranorleone
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby sopranorleone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Danger Zone wrote:If they care enough to pull your transcript, you're probably fucked anyway.


This may of seemed clever to you, but that statement is retarded. I don't think there is one firm I did a CB for that didn't pull my transcript. In my case, maybe they pull it just to make sure there is no failing, etc.


:lol:

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7302
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:09 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Danger Zone wrote:If they care enough to pull your transcript, you're probably fucked anyway.


This may of seemed clever to you, but that statement is retarded. I don't think there is one firm I did a CB for that didn't pull my transcript. In my case, maybe they pull it just to make sure there is no failing, etc.


:lol:

Not only that, but he doesn't seem to grasp the implication that it doesn't matter after you get the SA offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:20 am

Danger Zone wrote:
sopranorleone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Danger Zone wrote:If they care enough to pull your transcript, you're probably fucked anyway.


This may of seemed clever to you, but that statement is retarded. I don't think there is one firm I did a CB for that didn't pull my transcript. In my case, maybe they pull it just to make sure there is no failing, etc.


:lol:

Not only that, but he doesn't seem to grasp the implication that it doesn't matter after you get the SA offer.


Guess I'm a guy... cool. Didn't see any implication, and trolling on grammar is always hilarious, but I do want this question seriously answered. After getting an SA, grades do matter for many firms. The specific question I am asking is whether by getting an SA when it certainly isn't because of grades, it is less likely for grades to be an issue when considering to hire.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 am

My anecdotal experience (SA at NY biglaw firm) was that grades don't matter after you land an SA. I wasn't asked for a transcript at any point after my screener, and still have not been asked for one as a 3L. I got no indication from anyone at the firm that they cared about grades. Based on my personal experience, it seems like your work product and attitude over summer will be what matters.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:04 am

I was asked to fill out a registrar form so that my firm could see transcript after 2L.

V30 ish firm.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:03 am

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7302
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was asked to fill out a registrar form so that my firm could see transcript after 2L.

V30 ish firm.


My firm also requested this.

HAHAURFUCKED

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:55 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was asked to fill out a registrar form so that my firm could see transcript after 2L.

V30 ish firm.


My firm also requested this.


OP here. Thanks for the replies. I am going to be at a V50ish firm, but they didn't seem to care about grades when I did my screener and CB. I'm assuming grades in your cases were important at the outset, before getting the SA?

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:59 am

if you're truly honest and want to pas c&f, you'll volunteer this info yourself, OP.

how do you expect to uphold the LAW if you can't even be honest about not meeting obvious expectations?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 pm

On OP's behalf many interviewers won't bring up your grades for reasons similar to why many people won't tell you your clothes don't match. It's also possible most interviewers don't care, and leave grades up to the committee.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:28 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:37 pm

I k
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:I know some people at GDC who got no offered bc their grades dropped



gdc is for strivers doe

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:18 pm

mephistopheles wrote:if you're truly honest and want to pas c&f, you'll volunteer this info yourself, OP.

how do you expect to uphold the LAW if you can't even be honest about not meeting obvious expectations?


huh? Where am I not being honest?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Importance of Grades After Getting SA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:22 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I know some people at GDC who got no offered bc their grades dropped



gdc is for strivers doe


This is why TLS threads get so repetitive. I am not talking about the possibility of my grades dropping. I am talking about my grades staying the same.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.