When to get antsy about summer work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jn7

Bronze

When to get antsy about summer work?

Post by jn7 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:00 pm

So I haven't been able to find a good answer to when not having something lined up for 1L summer is an issue time-wise. I haven't heard back from any places yet. I'm assuming it's still reasonably early. Anybody else know when firms get back about 1L SA positions (if there is any consistency at all in them doing so)?

Much appreciated and sorry if this was already discussed--I went through a few pages and didn't see anything about it.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: When to get antsy about summer work?

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:03 pm

I started getting pretty ansy around early March and was in full blown panic mode by late March (I actually ended up getting a really nice gig around mid April, but I was a wreck before then).

I think you need to push hard but remember that as a 1L your 2nd semester grades >>>>>>>> your 1L summer position. I'd rather be top 10% and work at the PD unpaid my 1L summer than be top 20% and work at a small firm paid (assuming your school is a school with a legit OCI). Aim to apply to as many positions as you can while still maintaining a good study schedule. If you still don't have anything by late Feb / early Mar I would crank it up a bit.

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks! Yeah if I'm this bad now I think I would by a lunatic come March haha!

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:53 am

I started worrying by February, but only because the people that had something lined up wouldn't shut up about it. I landed one position the last week of March, and then a second the first week of April. I knew some people who didn't get something until after finals. Don't sweat it, still plenty of time

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:04 am

After LR write on competition. Seriously, there were lots of opportunities well into summer. It's 1L. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's law-related.

(That's not to say I didn't start worrying in February, just that there is really no need to worry at that point. And I wish I'd listened to the people telling me not to worry yet. But it's natural to get concerned when you see people getting CBs and you thought you were a better candidate.)
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:08 am

You will worry, now and always, because you are a law student.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:08 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:52 am

Crap I haven't been looking for a "regular" job yet. I've been looking solely for SAs, but my grades aren't good enough for them. I have two more interviews but they were through OCI so I highly doubt I'll be able to get a 1L SA.
Should I start freaking out? Am I ok if I start looking for "regular" jobs now?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Crap I haven't been looking for a "regular" job yet. I've been looking solely for SAs, but my grades aren't good enough for them. I have two more interviews but they were through OCI so I highly doubt I'll be able to get a 1L SA.
Should I start freaking out? Am I ok if I start looking for "regular" jobs now?
Subtle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”