1L summer in secondary market (no ties) look weird?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Br3v

1L summer in secondary market (no ties) look weird?

Postby Br3v » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Will doing 1L summer in secondary market with no ties look weird come OCI to employers not from the market?

Aka, 1L summer in secondary market look weird to DC/NY forms comes OCI?
Last edited by Br3v on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTRansfer

Re: Urgent: 1L summer in secondary market (no ties) look weird?

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Br3v wrote:Will doing 1L summer in secondary market with no ties look weird come OCI to employers not from the market?

It looks like you had a job 1L summer. That's the extent of it mattering to DC / NY.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Br3v wrote:Will doing 1L summer in secondary market with no ties look weird come OCI to employers not from the market?

It looks like you had a job 1L summer. That's the extent of it mattering to DC / NY.

Tcr

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Ty

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 pm

I know plenty of people who got NY/DC from my tier one law school who did 1L summer in strange places, if that helps. I also know people at my school who ended up in decent gigs in secondary markets with no ties for their 2L summers after doing major market 1Ls. I think getting real experience that you can talk about is the most important part. I think this ties thing is an excuse for when shit doesn't work out? From what I could tell the most important factors in order for NY/DC OCI were diversity, work experience, prestige of undergrad, and grades. (obviously, grades below cutoff is dispositive). If you like the jerb, I think go for it.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer in secondary market (no ties) look weird?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:25 pm

My OCS counselor said that doing a 1L summer* in a different market than the one your school is located in and your home market is a slight negative when it comes to EIW. (Essentially, having three markets on your resume.) Is this response credited?

1L from CCN, planning to bid on the New York market.
*In my situation, it's a PI job in an area I have some interest in. I'm sure that other people might appreciate advice on this situation in regards to a 1L SA, however.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My OCS counselor said . . .

Well there's your problem right there.

Seriously though, while they may wonder and ask what drew you to the market in which you summered, if it was a 1L SA, you can simply say that what drew you was the opportunity to do a 1L SA, which is very hard to come by in any market. It would be one thing if you were targeting Houston and you did a 1L in Minneapolis with no ties to either, but when you're targeting NYC, there's no real issue.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My OCS counselor said that doing a 1L summer in a different market than the one your school is located in and your home market is a slight negative when it comes to EIW. (Essentially, having three markets on your resume. Is this response credited?

1L from CCN, planning to bid on the New York market.

It's all in how you spin it. As long as you can articulate reasons for your choices that don't sound like you just went with whoever offered you a job first, it's not going to hurt you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:50 pm

My bad, it's not a 1L SA, though I can see why I worded it poorly. I'll go edit that.

It's a PI organization that does animal cruelty advocacy. I'm fairly interested in the area, at least for doing 1L work in, and I suppose I could spin it by saying that it's a good organization in its field and one of my professors encouraged me to apply. Thanks for the advice :)

Return to “Legal Employment”