Question re: accepted offer + further interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question re: accepted offer + further interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 pm

So, I didn't really think this would even come up so I've yet to look into what to do (I didn't even think I would be landing an interview).

I have already accepted an offer of employment post-graduation at a law firm that I summered at. It's a really solid firm with great people. I like the area, although it's quite far from where all of my family is.

I was able to get an interview with another firm much closer to home. It's a smaller firm, but the pay is better and it's in an area that I'd like to live and retire in. Basically, it's in the state that I targeted heavily and wanted most out of any of them. It's also in the same practice area as the firm I accepted the offer at (so it's what I want to do for my career as well).

I know that firm offers are obviously just an offer of employment and not a contract so they can be revoked at any time (and I can revoke as well), but I am not sure how many bridges I'd burn with people that I consider myself to be friendly with. I'm not sure I'd ever move back out to that area to practice in the future, but I'm also not sure what the reaction would be.

I really don't know how to approach the interview. Should I disclose that I accepted the offer for employment in the interview? I would think it would be awkward if they asked the question and I merely mentioned that I had an offer open (it's February now and the NALP deadline was, what, November?

Anonymous User

Re: Question re: accepted offer + further interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:26 pm

If there is a significant geographical difference you can probably have a reason why you would really desire the change to give to both firms so it can probably be ok if you are diplomatic about it...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If there is a significant geographical difference you can probably have a reason why you would really desire the change to give to both firms so it can probably be ok if you are diplomatic about it...

OP here.

Yes. About a 10 hour difference or so in terms of driving distance. Markets are nowhere really close to each other at all and the interview firm is much, much closer to my family.

My question, though, is two-fold, I guess.

1) Do I disclose that I accepted the offer up front or wait for them to ask?

2) Multi-part question

a. Is there any real potential that they would contact the firm I accepted at?
b. Would they not contact the firm if I asked?
c. Is it even a good idea to ask?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:53 pm

As someone who has worked in general hiring outside of law, having another offer is definitely not a strike against you so long as you are diplomatic; if you must reveal that you accepted it, use careful language; consider saying that you have tentatively accepted an offer, pending this interview, which you feel is your most ideal long-term pick (for all of the reasons you noted above). Honestly, an offer in most hiring situations reflects well upon you; it tells your interviewer that someone else decided you were a strong candidate for a position (which can serve to confirm or influence this interviewer), and the fact that you are interviewing for this position after having received an offer suggests that you really DO want this position over another, and you aren't just taking whatever you can get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As someone who has worked in general hiring outside of law, having another offer is definitely not a strike against you so long as you are diplomatic; if you must reveal that you accepted it, use careful language; consider saying that you have tentatively accepted an offer, pending this interview, which you feel is your most ideal long-term pick (for all of the reasons you noted above). Honestly, an offer in most hiring situations reflects well upon you; it tells your interviewer that someone else decided you were a strong candidate for a position (which can serve to confirm or influence this interviewer), and the fact that you are interviewing for this position after having received an offer suggests that you really DO want this position over another, and you aren't just taking whatever you can get.

OP here.

Thanks for the response. I do obviously have a sincere reason for taking the interview, too. I want to be in the state, I want to practice that practice, and I have family all around the area.

I really think the thing I worry about the most is the firm calling the firm I accepted at and losing out on that offer AND getting dinged after the interview. Is that just me being overly paranoid? I have the firm names, obviously, on my resume and mentioned in the cover letter highlighting my work experience over the two summers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:09 am

As someone that jumped firms in the same market after accepting, I would recommend being as honest as possible. I would email the recruiting person in advance of your interview and let them know what the situation is. The firm I transferred to did not care at all but out of paranoia I wanted to make sure they wouldn't call my previous firm. Just let them know you accepted because of timing concerns (ie I assume you accepted because you didn't want to keep the other firm hanging to the point where it would be obvious that you were searching elsewhere) and that you would follow up with your old firm immediately if you did have the opportunity to switch. I think the new firm will understand your situation and would not contact your old firm. I can't predict the reaction at your old firm, but if they are nice people they will probably understand why you want to move but I wouldn't expect a great relationship with them afterwards.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:35 am

OP here.

Thanks a lot for that post. I just contacted the recruiting coordinator and let them know about the situation. I'm sure they understand (well, at least hopefully!).

Return to “Legal Employment”