How to explain a low undergraduate GPA for Summer position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to explain a low undergraduate GPA for Summer position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Hey all, I've been asked to provide an undergraduate GPA, which is extremely low.. like 2.75 low.
Should I explain how I got a 1.xx my freshman year and had a gradual increase etc.? or should I just send it in without an explanation?
What's the protocol for these things?

Some background: Mid Tier 1 LS, Engineering undergrad, Firm asking for undergrad transcript is IP Boutique.

Thanks in advance guys

wbrother

Re: How to explain a low undergraduate GPA for Summer position

Postby wbrother » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, I've been asked to provide an undergraduate GPA, which is extremely low.. like 2.75 low.
Should I explain how I got a 1.xx my freshman year and had a gradual increase etc.? or should I just send it in without an explanation?

Some background: Mid Tier 1 LS, Engineering undergrad, Firm asking for undergrad transcript is IP Boutique.

Thanks in advance guys

Do you have any extracurricular activities you were very engaged in during your freshman year that could help explain the low GPA? Beer Pong champion? "That Dude!" award? Naked Run Organizer? Anything like that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:20 pm

wbrother wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, I've been asked to provide an undergraduate GPA, which is extremely low.. like 2.75 low.

Thanks in advance guys

Do you have any extracurricular activities you were very engaged in during your freshman year that could help explain the low GPA? Beer Pong champion? "That Dude!" award? Naked Run Organizer? Anything like that?

Original Poster here: I have things like family nearly getting a divorce and grandmother's health issues but other than that, not really... those two just sound whiny when I try to write it out. Should I just make it a general "familial issues" kind of deal? should I even write one?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 pm

Well, you can mention the family issues but the best way to talk about a low GPA is to say you used it as a learning experience, as well. You want to spin it positively. Did your GPA go up a lot after? Is your law school GPA a lot better? There are a bunch of ways you can spin it positively if your GPA improved.

I had a similar issue and was able to put a great spin on it since there was a serious improvement after.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Well, you can mention the family issues but the best way to talk about a low GPA is to say you used it as a learning experience, as well. You want to spin it positively. Did your GPA go up a lot after? Is your law school GPA a lot better? There are a bunch of ways you can spin it positively if your GPA improved.

I had a similar issue and was able to put a great spin on it since there was a serious improvement after.

Original Poster: yeah my GPA did go up a lot afterward. I guess I'll talk about the family matters and whatnot.
Thanks for the help guys!

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:29 pm

If this was an interview:

Don't talk about family matters at all. That makes you look like a pussy. This an interview, not a law school adcom victimization celebration.

Make up a story about how your high school wasn't very good and you weren't properly prepared for the college level mathematics . And then say that once you caught up, you exceled and got good grades in the high level stuff, and that the challenge of catching up makes you a better engineer.

Since it's just someone asking for your GPA via email:

Send it to them and get your rejection letter in a week. A paper explanation is weird.

Return to “Legal Employment”