Unsure about practice area- what do I tell employers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unsure about practice area- what do I tell employers?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:58 pm

I have a science degree. I'm not entirely sure if i want to do patent prosecution or corporate work.

Is it ok for me to say that I'm 100% set on IP to IP firms but also tell non-IP firms that I'm 100% set on corporate? That way, I can make a decision after I get an offer?

Also, I'm leaning slightly more towards corporate. However, whenever I tell people (professors, career services, firms) that I want to do corporate, I'm met with the same reaction that shows they aren't convinced (being asked multiple times "wait, are you sure you don't want to do patent law?" even after talking about how I want to do corporate work the entire time). How do I prevent this?

DildaMan

Re: Unsure about practice area- what do I tell employers?

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a science degree. I'm not entirely sure if i want to do patent prosecution or corporate work.
Is it ok for me to say that I'm 100% set on IP to IP firms but also tell non-IP firms that I'm 100% set on corporate? That way, I can make a decision after I get an offer?

Yes.

Anonymous User wrote:Also, I'm leaning slightly more towards corporate. However, whenever I tell people (professors, career services, firms) that I want to do corporate, I'm met with the same reaction that shows they aren't convinced (being asked multiple times "wait, are you sure you don't want to do patent law?" even after talking about how I want to do corporate work the entire time). How do I prevent this?

You can't really prevent this. I would take classes and do extracurricular activities that align with your interests in corporate. I had a friend who was moved to IP litigation after the real estate work dried up at his firm.

joblawl

Re: Unsure about practice area- what do I tell employers?

Postby joblawl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:20 am

^^^ this is exactly right. Very few people know exactly what kind of work they want to do in law school. When you're in an interview, it's foolish to sound lukewarm about a practice area. If you're interviewing at an IP firm, craft an argument that shows you're dedicated to IP and always have been. If you're interviewing for a corp gig, craft an argument that shows you're dedicated to corporate work and always have been. I work in a large firm with one focus - when we interview, "demonstrates commitment to the practice area" is a big deal...

Further, practicing lawyers will be surprised that you're not into IP because the job market is better and seemingly less competitive. But if it's not what you want to do everyday, it doesn't much matter how the job market is....

Good Luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”