Delete please Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Delete please

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Delete
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jess

Re: Judicial Internship Offer and Acceptance, but is it official

Post by jess » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BostonLove

New

Post by BostonLove » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

Do judges give out 'official offer letters' through email/mail for judicial internships? I received an oral offer from a federal judge on the spot after a phone interview and immediately accepted. However, I haven't heard back since, and it's been about a week. He said 'We'll be in touch," after I accepted. He doesn't have his email online (nor do I have it) but I do have his phone number so would calling be considered pestering after one week? Thoughts would be highly appreciated.
If he said "we'll be in touch," I would wait more than a week to follow up about it. I might call chambers after 3 weeks and just say "I'm anon, I spoke with Judge X on x date and accepted a judicial internship position. I just wanted to check if there is anything further I need to do or if I should wait to hear from you." I would assume that this is not a pestering call after three or more weeks (but that's still a short enough time that he won't forget you) and it will prompt whoever answers (I'm assuming you won't be speaking directly with the judge) to give you the timeline.

I might take off the line about who the judge is and why you posted anon. I'm overly careful, though. I didn't quote it here just in case.

EDIT: I wanted to point out that I was not in this position, so the other posters, who did do judicial internships and clerkships, are much better situated to give advice.
Last edited by BostonLove on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:41 pm

This is a contracts question. you have offer and acceptance, and it sounds like you have consideration so you're good to go

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:This is a contracts question. you have offer and acceptance, and it sounds like you have consideration so you're good to go
You can't sue a judge for breach, they have diplomatic immunity.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Jessuf wrote:I accepted over the phone, and that was that. The next time I heard from chambers was about background check info several months later.
Yeah, in my experience, judges never do formal offer letters for internships. Heck, I only got an offer letter for my post-grad clerkship when I needed proof of income to lease an apartment, almost a year after I got hired. They're not going to forget about hiring you or renege on it or anything like that, it's just they have a lot of other things going on and won't worry about any of this until it's closer to the time you start.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”