Applying as a 1L to firms that usually only hire 2Ls

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying as a 1L to firms that usually only hire 2Ls

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:23 pm

So, I have sort of an odd situation. Over the Christmas break, I met with a couple of attorneys in my target market, both partners at large regional firms that have an office there. Both meetings went well, and I was planning to apply to their firms for an SA position, since both are listed on NALP as hiring 1Ls. However, the website for one states that they only hire 1Ls for diversity positions, in an office outside of my target market; the other only hires 1Ls for a couple offices, both outside my target market. I asked career services for advice, and they said to apply anyway, but I'm worried it might come across as obnoxiously overeager rather than confident. I don't want to sabotage potentially helpful future contacts by being annoying, so I thought I'd get a second opinion here. Should I send them a resume/cover letter/transcript anyway, or wait till next year and just keep in touch with them?

BigZuck

Re: Applying as a 1L to firms that usually only hire 2Ls

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:34 pm

I can't see this hurting you in any way if all you do is apply for a job. I would think worst case scenario they send you back the stock "We don't hire 1Ls but feel free to apply next year!" that everyone else gets.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Send the resume. Never reject yourself from a position.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 am

TooOld4This wrote:Send the resume. Never reject yourself from a position.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:32 am

I asked career services for advice, and they said to apply anyway, but I'm worried

Stop over-thinking the job hunt. Express your interest to work with them. The worst that will happen is that they say, 'thanks, but target city is not hiring IL's. Check back next year."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:55 am

I know a 1L who got an offer for a 1L SA this year without grades even though it wasn't a diversity position and the firm stated that it was for 2Ls. Just apply and see what happens. The worst that could happen is that you show that you are interested in the firm and have a connection that you can revive during 2L OCI. :wink:

Return to “Legal Employment”