US ATTORNEY Summer Internship Drug Testing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

US ATTORNEY Summer Internship Drug Testing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Are there any districts that do not drug test?

mr.hands

Re: US ATTORNEY Summer Internship Drug Testing

Postby mr.hands » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:07 pm

None of them will test you. They will ask you and you will have to sign a form certifying that you haven't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Not sure of they drug test, but if you've used recently enough to worry about it then you're either going to have to lie on the clearance forms (a federal felony that if discovered will also permanently bar you from federal employment) or disclose it and risk almost certain rejection of your clearance application.

It's stupid, but that's how the Feds roll. Consider working for a state AG this year, laying off yr illegal substance of choice for a year, and doing either an externship during the year or a 2L summer with the Feds. State work is underrated anyhow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there any districts that do not drug test?

I'm working for one this summer and have not heard anything about a drug test. Just background check.

P.S. Not that it matters for me whether they do or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:41 am

So there's no drug test…is there always a clearance form? How long do you have to abstain so as not to commit perjury? Is drug policy consistent for each district?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:34 am

The form that gets used is the same for every district, it's a standard security clearance form used across the federal government (or at least DOJ) for positions involving national security. It will ask you for drug use going back 7 years. If you were getting checked for a permanent job, they would actually drug test you, but they don't (AFAIK) bother for student interns. This thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=223449 describes how it works as I understand it (particularly the posts toward the end).

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:48 am

I was drug tested for two separate divisions in DOJ and know of someone who was drug tested for USAO.

I also filled out the form Anony is talking about and disclosed prior drug use. I was asked to provide a supplement detailing each separate time I used. They wanted exact dates and everything, but HR told me in advance that as long as it wasn't during LS, I would be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks for the help guys. So basically even though I have an incredible GPA, but frequent marijuana usage during my first semester of law school and none during my second I would be precluded from interning at USAO during my 1L summer, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Jessuf wrote:I was drug tested for two separate divisions in DOJ and know of someone who was drug tested for USAO.

I also filled out the form Anony is talking about and disclosed prior drug use. I was asked to provide a supplement detailing each separate time I used. They wanted exact dates and everything, but HR told me in advance that as long as it wasn't during LS, I would be fine.

Fuck After not smoking for about 3 years, I hit a bowl on my bday a few weeks ago.

I just applied for a USAO summer position, although I am not that interested in it. Fuck. Oh well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Does every District have that standard drug history questionnaire? Definitely screwed if it asks for 5 years history...

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The form that gets used is the same for every district, it's a standard security clearance form used across the federal government (or at least DOJ) for positions involving national security. It will ask you for drug use going back 7 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks Nony. (One time in 3 years person here - as you know probably as a mod) :lol:

Does anybody know if they ask about prior "I used __________ once like 4-5 years ago" when it comes to harder drugs? (Hallucinogens if that matters, btw)

ETA: I see that you answered. That they would ask. Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”