JAG v. NY DA (maybe)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
so ambivalent
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:52 pm

JAG v. NY DA (maybe)

Postby so ambivalent » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:28 pm

So I have kind of a nice dilemma.
I got Army JAG which I was initially not sure I would take, but am now pretty comfortable with cuz I feel like I could get my first choice station, love the benefits and wanna ultimately work for the govt and be a prosecutor. But then I also got a second round NYC DA (which was for a long time my dream job). The thing is, even though my interview with the DA is before my JAG decision deadline, I've been told by a former NYC DA to just take JAG because, even if I got NYC DA, there is no way I'd know about NYC before my deadline. Is that true?
I like to keep my options open, but I'm tired of paying out of pocket to fly up to NYC and am not even sure if it would be a good move to take it over JAG if I got it (in terms of take home pay, types of cases I would get to do, loan forgiveness, personal life).
Anyone else been in this situation? What would you do?

Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: JAG v. NY DA (maybe)

Postby dreakol » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:40 pm

accept JAG, interview with NYC DA, and if you get an offer, come back to the board and ask for advice

User avatar
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Re: JAG v. NY DA (maybe)

Postby encore1101 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Wait, you got a 2nd round with NYC DA's Office or 4th round? Because 4th round is ordinarily when you interview with the DA.

What's the amount of time you have between your NYC DA interview and when you have to give the Army JAG your decision?

so ambivalent
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Re: JAG v. NY DA (maybe)

Postby so ambivalent » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:09 pm

It's a 2nd round, I said DA as in the office. But they said they may try to finish them all that day since I told them about my deadline.
I will have three days to decide after my interview.
i guess i should have phrased my question differently: should i even interview or just withdraw my app since i may have to agree to JAG before I would even know about NYC DA (if I get it)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 304695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: JAG v. NY DA (maybe)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:59 pm

My understanding is that you're not actually committed to JAG until you take your Officer's oath and get commissioned so you can in theory accept JAG and then make the decision between JAG and NYC DA if you get an offer there as well when you have both offers in hand.

Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.