Drug use on federal job app? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Drug use on federal job app?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:17 pm

Hey guys. I am wondering how federal agencies handle admission of illegal drug use on their job applications. Just some weed from a few years ago. I currently work for the Courts, but they did not require the same paperwork.

Probably is not a big deal but I am curious what you guys had experience. Job is with a DOJ agency.

Anonymous User

Re: Drug use on federal job app?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:25 pm

I think you should admit it if you have, in case they actually conduct a test. I don't think weed is going to be a huge deal.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:26 pm

If they do thorough background check (asking friends about you, past drug use, ties to the communist party, etc.), -- which I assume they will for actual jobs, but someone with direct knowledge can attest to it -- it will come out and you'll be dinged for lack of candor. (I've not been subject of such a review, but have seen the interviews from the other side of things when friends were joining foreign service or the White House).

http://www.justice.gov/oarm/background- ... ation.html
OARM reviews the suitability of every attorney and law student who is offered a position at the Department. This suitability determination is based on an applicant's completed security forms, fingerprint and credit checks, as well as a full field FBI background investigation and tax and bar checks for attorney applicants. The background investigation covers a period of seven to ten years depending on the nature of the position. In making a determination regarding suitability for employment, OARM considers a number of factors, including a candidate's tax filing and payment history, credit history, candor, and any history of usage of controlled substances.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Minimal undergraduate use of marijuana is not disqualifying. Lack of candor is (although I do know of people who lied -- not a gamble I thought wise, and they did it on internship applications, not applications for permanent employment, where the background check is significantly more rigorous). Heavy use of marijuana might also be disqualifying, but I'm not sure. The exact degree of your use is probably something that you could get away with describing in a self-serving manner.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”