Questions about writing samples?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which writing sample is best?

Legal seminar paper on the patentablity of computer code
43%
Clerkship Judicial Opinion denying a Criminal Post Conviction Petition
57%
1L memo analyzing a gay individual's rights to constructive trust in a property dispute with his ex-partner.
No votes

Total votes: 7

SDviaVA

Questions about writing samples?

Postby SDviaVA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:30 am

I am debating what writing sample to submit to a job. Some guides I have read say to avoid submitting academic papers. But they also say to try and submit something on topic.

In an effort to avoid outing myself, I will use a closely analogous example of my situation. Lets say I am recent law school grad who currently doing a trial level judicial clerkship and I was applying to the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Which of the above writing samples would you submit and why?

SDviaVA

Re: Questions about writing samples?

Postby SDviaVA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:34 am

can anyone chime in?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:47 am

Submit one only if they ask you to. If they ask you to, they'll probably tell you what kind they want. If they don't tell you what kind they want, ask.

I know little about the PTO (is it a bar-passage-required job?), but a memo or brief, preferably one from the real world, is usually TCR for a legal job. If your judicial opinion shows substantive legal analysis, use that. If the job doesn't require a law license, maybe something that shows an in-depth understanding of IP would be better.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:54 am

I'd go opinion draft only because it's more recent. But generally, briefs/memos are preferred. Do you not have a more recent brief or memo?

You could get away with the opinion, but it'd be cognizant of my reader and pare it down.

I'll agree with the caveat above about what type of job this is

Return to “Legal Employment”