How much does a 1L SA bind you to that firm as a 2L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much does a 1L SA bind you to that firm as a 2L?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm attending a T13 and will finish this semester top quarter or so. It looks like I'll be offered a 1L SA from a firm back home (not a major market). Yet, provided I don't do a horrible job maintaining my grades this semester, I should have better, at least more lucrative, offers at OCI in the fall. And I'll definitely prefer those.

I realize I should be thinking of myself here, and not worry about shafting the firm. I also realize that firms at OCI will certainly appreciate that I took the opportunity to make some money in my 1L summer. So I know that they won't be like: "we do not accept you, you must go back to your 1L firm." But I would like to get your thoughts on the downsides. How much will it impact my prospects at OCI? How much lying will I have to do throughout the 1L SA saying that I will come back as a 2L?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: How much does a 1L SA bind you to that firm as a 2L?

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:13 pm

First off, cart before the horse. You don't have an offer yet.

Assuming you get a 1L SA, you should show genuine interest in keeping your job there because (again, cart, horse) it's possible that you get nothing out of OCI.

As for what impact the 1L SA will have on OCI, it will be a positive. Just spin your experience working at the firm as a reason why you are a worthier candidate (you already know the ins and outs of firm life and will require less time to "catch up"). Other firms know that you will be interested in them because why else would you be interviewing? But also, you will have to overcome the geography question if your target market at OCI is different from the one you work in your 1L summer. You need a good answer for that.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:36 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm attending a T13
What's your beef with Georgetown? Did they reject you?

Or they go to Cornell and feel just a bit more prestigious by inventing their own tier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm attending a T13 and will finish this semester top quarter or so. It looks like I'll be offered a 1L SA from a firm back home (not a major market). Yet, provided I don't do a horrible job maintaining my grades this semester, I should have better, at least more lucrative, offers at OCI in the fall. And I'll definitely prefer those.

I realize I should be thinking of myself here, and not worry about shafting the firm. I also realize that firms at OCI will certainly appreciate that I took the opportunity to make some money in my 1L summer. So I know that they won't be like: "we do not accept you, you must go back to your 1L firm." But I would like to get your thoughts on the downsides. How much will it impact my prospects at OCI? How much lying will I have to do throughout the 1L SA saying that I will come back as a 2L?
At mine, there wasn't really any talk of coming back as a 2L until the end of the summer when they gave out offers (full time ones to the 2Ls and an offer to return to me). Some associates did mention during the summer that it was a good position to be in and that I should actually try working somewhere else for 2L summer for comparison.

It will probably help you at OCI because it will give you something more substantive to talk about and you will likely be able to relate to and be more comfortable with your interviewer.

When I told my 1L firm that I had accepted another offer for 2L, I stressed that it was not because I didn't enjoy my 1L summer, but because I wanted to get the experience of a very different firm/office/culture and I was interested, if possible, in coming back to the 1L firm after the summer. They were completely understanding and asked that I spend two weeks back with them in the summer (which I guess is a tacit full time offer).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:28 pm

It's probably the best single thing you can have on your resume, and makes you more attractive to other firms. You might also just like it more there. There is no commitment at all, but many people I know wind up staying because you get to know the people and there is a certain appreciation to a place that picked you your first year. From the firm's perspective it's an opportunity to get people they'd probably have no shot at getting as a 2L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm attending a T13 and will finish this semester top quarter or so. It looks like I'll be offered a 1L SA from a firm back home (not a major market). Yet, provided I don't do a horrible job maintaining my grades this semester, I should have better, at least more lucrative, offers at OCI in the fall. And I'll definitely prefer those.

At mine, there wasn't really any talk of coming back as a 2L until the end of the summer when they gave out offers (full time ones to the 2Ls and an offer to return to me). Some associates did mention during the summer that it was a good position to be in and that I should actually try working somewhere else for 2L summer for comparison.

It will probably help you at OCI because it will give you something more substantive to talk about and you will likely be able to relate to and be more comfortable with your interviewer.

When I told my 1L firm that I had accepted another offer for 2L, I stressed that it was not because I didn't enjoy my 1L summer, but because I wanted to get the experience of a very different firm/office/culture and I was interested, if possible, in coming back to the 1L firm after the summer. They were completely understanding and asked that I spend two weeks back with them in the summer (which I guess is a tacit full time offer).
Do you feel as though your 2L firm has any negative feelings toward you spending that time with your 1L firm this summer, or that your 1L firm may doubt your commitment?
(Not the OP, but I also have a 1L SA lined up in home secondary market and have similar concerns. Love my 1L firm - worked there previously - but may want to test the waters.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:54 am

This is a law firm. Not a family owned business. Once you are out the door for the summer, you're whatever to them.

I summered at a large firm in a small market. 2L OCI everyone asked about the firm and was excited I had previous experience. Took another offer and told the 1L firm see you later.

That's the end of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”