Are Jos a Bank suits OK for SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Are jos a bank suits of for SA

Poll ended at Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 61

Anonymous User

Are Jos a Bank suits OK for SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:25 pm

V100 SA at a formal ny firm. I have a charcoal Fitzgerald suit from OCI but that's it. Looking into getting two JAB "Joseph" suits because they're only ~$250 and look like they're less boxy than other cheap suit options at my build - 6'4/210. But I also don't want to be laughed at for being the "guy with the cheap suit." Should I hit Nordstrom Rack? What is the best play here guys?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patogordo

Re: Are Jos a Bank suits OK for SA?

Postby patogordo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Probably okay at V60 and below. Might get away with it as high as V50. DO NOT wear Jos A Bank at a V47 or up.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:28 pm

patogordo wrote:Probably okay at V60 and below. Might get away with it as high as V50. DO NOT wear Jos A Bank at a V47 or up.

Totally disagree. Its V46 and up.

On a serious note. It is fine, if it fits well. I think this is what JOS A BANK suites are for, working in. But, I certainly would wear something nicer to an interview.
Last edited by jarofsoup on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Most firms are business casual anyways, you might wear a suit for first week or so but will start to relax a bit as things move along. Should be fine, just remember to keep a suit in the closet somewhere in case you need it on some random occasion.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:31 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
patogordo wrote:Probably okay at V60 and below. Might get away with it as high as V50. DO NOT wear Jos A Bank at a V47 or up.

When will TLSers learn that it's not 2007 any more? Wear that suit at a V47 at your own risk ITE.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Your physique will matter MUCH more than a $250 vs 1g suit. I've seen guys who are pudgy, high body fat %, don't lift, etc. in Canali suits. No one is impressed by that. Focus on your diet and lifting routine through May, find a good tailor on Yelp, then don't worry if its JAB, suit supply, or whatever. People will be looking at your shoulders and V taper much more so than the brand of the suit. That's the cr approach.

user outed for anon abuse

jn7

Postby jn7 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:36 pm

IMO I think Macys has better cheap suits for that exact price and the fit is better

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:36 pm

Postby 2014 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:10 pm

You have time right now, wait until JAB runs a 75% off sale and pick up one of their Signature Golds. It puts them down around the ~300 mark and they are a pretty quality suit at that price. Definitely better than paying 250 for their low end one.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:19 pm

jarofsoup wrote:

On a serious note. It is fine, if it fits well. I think this is what JOS A BANK suites are for, working in. But, I certainly would wear something nicer to an interview.

Lol no. Wore Jos. A Bank (just their standard stuff nothing fancy) to interviews, got a bunch of callbacks and a handful of offers. A reasonably decent suit is fine.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Absolutely. You'll see a tremendous variation in the sense of style and clothing worn by lawyers - some will take it quite seriously and others will look downright slobby.

There are many brands people prefer to Jos A. Bank and it gets made fun of as a consequence, but it's perfectly acceptable for a young lawyer.

The most important factor in your appearance after genre (i.e. if you need to wear a suit, do so, and avoid a neon pink shirt) is fit. A cheap well fitting / tailored suit will be much better than an off the rack expensive one (though expensive suits tend to be either tailored or bespoke by definition).

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:00 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Your physique will matter MUCH more than a $250 vs 1g suit. I've seen guys who are pudgy, high body fat %, don't lift, etc. in Canali suits. No one is impressed by that. Focus on your diet and lifting routine through May, find a good tailor on Yelp, then don't worry if its JAB, suit supply, or whatever. People will be looking at your shoulders and V taper much more so than the brand of the suit. That's the cr approach.

user outed for anon abuse

Credited. A nice suit means pretty much nothing if you're just an ugly or fat dude. Sorry bros.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:26 pm

jn7 wrote:IMO I think Macys has better cheap suits for that exact price and the fit is better

Yea I've noticed this too. I've paid roughly $350 for suits and tailoring.

Op, look into macys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:18 pm

I haven't SAd yet, but are you somewhat aesthetic or not?

I am about the exact same as you, 6'4 205... but about 12% BF, and JAB suits look like $HIT on me, way too boxy even though I am a pretty big dude. But if you look like you don't even lift, it may be perfect.
For cheap, Macy's suits look great on me, just go try some on. Suit supply looks really good on if you're fit

(anon b/c quite easily identifiable by stats)

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:49 pm

As long as you look clean and don't look like an idiot who clearly can't dress himself properly, it won't matter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Op here. I have strong facial aesthetics and a relatively lean build. Will look into Suit Supply as economy alternative to the Bank, until I can afford exclusively Brook Brothers, like you tls superstars. Thanks for the tip!

YYZ

Postby YYZ » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:05 pm

Also consider Brooks Brothers. They have special deals where they "tailor" suits to your specifications. It think you buy them 2 at a time (maybe for about $800 total for the 2 suits). You get to pick the fabric colors. It will probably take 6-8 weeks to get them back. This is the closest thing to full "custom made" suits I've found. Like others have said, no matter what brand you wear, if it doesn't fit well, that will be the first thing people notice. No matter how good a deal Jos A Banks might be, make sure the suit fits well. I know they have a slim suit line that probably works better for slimmer, more fit people.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Jos A Bank are fine for the summer. Upgrade when you have the job (they'll be about done by then anyway).

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:11 pm

If you can get a JAB signature gold suit for $300 or less and spend a little on tailoring you will get a pretty solid suit for cheap. You obviously have to watch for the right sale. Also tailoring is key--you should probably get any suit you buy tailored and a sig gold suit is better than a cheap dept store suit (so if you get it tailored anyway the boxiness doesn't matter too much).

For what it's worth I just got a JAB sig gold suit tailored and the old Italian guy that did it said he thought that sig gold suits were on par with some ~$700 suits he's worked on, like cheaper Hugo boss suits. In the suit thread Pufer (very well respected on TLS when it comes to men's fashion) says sig gold suits are probably worth it at like $500. I'm happy with the suit.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have strong facial aesthetics and a relatively lean build.

Thanks for that.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:07 pm

OP, stop sweating it. If you're in decent shape, a Jos. A. Bank suit is good enough and if you're not in decent shape, an expensive off-the-rack suit is not much better than a cheap suit. Any wool suit is fine if you keep them in decent condition by hanging them up properly when you're not wearing them, and having them steamed and pressed after five or so wearings. (Don't have them dry cleaned unless they're stained).

When you are get your first year bonus, you can buy a couple good suits.

More important is to stay on top of your wardrobe by making sure your shirts are pressed and collar-stayed and your ties are clean and match your suit/shirt. Also, shoes can get raggedy and over-worn if you don't stay on top of them. Keeping shirts pressed is more involved and expensive than keeping a presentable suit, because it requires constant trips to the cleaners and/or spending $50-60 on presentable non-iron cotton shirts like Brooks Brothers or Charles Tyrwhitt. Don't fall for non-iron cotton promises of shirts that retail for $20.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here. I have strong facial aesthetics and a relatively lean build.

Relatively isn't good enough, brah. Don't be a fat. Hit the gym so you don't squander those God-given strong facial aesthetics

Poopface

Postby Poopface » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:46 pm

The fit is much more important than the make. Focus on finding a great tailor if you really want to look like a Bawse

eastcoast_iub

Postby eastcoast_iub » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here. I have strong facial aesthetics and a relatively lean build.

"Strong facial aesthetics"? This is the single most ridiculous thing I have seen on here (the whole topic is pretty ridiculous, actually). Who the fuck says that??

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:27 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:

"Strong facial aesthetics"? This is the single most ridiculous thing I have seen on here (the whole topic is pretty ridiculous, actually). Who the fuck says that??

So that shouldn't be my lead bullet point under "activities" on my resume? Is that what you're saying?

Return to “Legal Employment”