Addressing recruiters in an email

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Addressing recruiters in an email

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 pm

When I sent out applications to law firms, I used the typical "Mr." and "Ms." when addressing the recruiters. However, the recruiters generally wrote back with just their first name. Should I reply to such responses using just their first name, or continue to use the formal title + last name until they say "please call me XXXXX"?

(I know this probably doesn't matter a whole lot, but it always bothers me because I never know the "right" way to address someone in this situation.)

goldeneye

Re: Addressing recruiters in an email

Postby goldeneye » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When I sent out applications to law firms, I used the typical "Mr." and "Ms." when addressing the recruiters. However, the recruiters generally wrote back with just their first name. Should I reply to such responses using just their first name, or continue to use the formal title + last name until they say "please call me XXXXX"?

(I know this probably doesn't matter a whole lot, but it always bothers me because I never know the "right" way to address someone in this situation.)

i used mr/ms until they told me otherwise

Nelson

Re: Addressing recruiters in an email

Postby Nelson » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When I sent out applications to law firms, I used the typical "Mr." and "Ms." when addressing the recruiters. However, the recruiters generally wrote back with just their first name. Should I reply to such responses using just their first name, or continue to use the formal title + last name until they say "please call me XXXXX"?

In business, TCR is to use the more formal form (i.e. Mr/Ms/Prof/Dr etc.) until they tell you otherwise or respond with a first name.

Return to “Legal Employment”