1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
heymom
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:11 pm

1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby heymom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Hello,

I am looking to apply for jobs in the forthcoming 1L summer and was wondering am I totally out of luck as a top 40% URM male at a T30 school? I have strong ties to the state where I am attending school and want to stay in the state.

Also, should I leave off that I am in the top 40% and just put my GPA on my resume? Looking for some helpful advice thanks!

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: 1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby gaud » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Use your strong ties to your advantage and a firm gig won't be impossible. Depend on your connections more than your grades (because they aren't going to help too much).

I would just list GPA and not the percentage.

heymom
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: 1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby heymom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:58 pm

heymom wrote:Hello,

I am looking to apply for jobs in the forthcoming 1L summer and was wondering am I totally out of luck as a top 40% URM male at a T30 school? I have strong ties to the state where I am attending school and want to stay in the state.

Also, should I leave off that I am in the top 40% and just put my GPA on my resume? Looking for some helpful advice thanks!


Thanks for the advice. You think if I leave off the percentile it wouldn't be looked upon worse than actually putting it on the resume? Just wondering if employers would think it is worse than 40% or not.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: 1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby gaud » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:02 pm

heymom wrote:
heymom wrote:Hello,

I am looking to apply for jobs in the forthcoming 1L summer and was wondering am I totally out of luck as a top 40% URM male at a T30 school? I have strong ties to the state where I am attending school and want to stay in the state.

Also, should I leave off that I am in the top 40% and just put my GPA on my resume? Looking for some helpful advice thanks!


Thanks for the advice. You think if I leave off the percentile it wouldn't be looked upon worse than actually putting it on the resume? Just wondering if employers would think it is worse than 40% or not.


I don't think it will make that much of a difference. I don't believe that listing it will be too much of a negative, either. I think employers just assume when you don't have a rank listed (eg 1 out of 150) that you aren't ranked that high and that's the end of it. Use your connections and you could likely land a gig without anyone even looking at your grades (happened to me).

heymom
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: 1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby heymom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:09 pm

I don't think it will make that much of a difference. I don't believe that listing it will be too much of a negative, either. I think employers just assume when you don't have a rank listed (eg 1 out of 150) that you aren't ranked that high and that's the end of it. Use your connections and you could likely land a gig without anyone even looking at your grades (happened to me).


Alright I think I will just put the GPA on there without class rank. Also, when you say "connections" you are referring to the connections w/the region or state or are you implying network connections. As I really don't know anyone in the legal field and the don't think the few network contacts I've made can provide me with a boost in employment

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: 1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby gdane » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Just apply. Can't hurt.

I'd leave off "top 40%" because this isn't really close to the top of the class anymore. You're teetering toward the middle now. Just put your GPA.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: 1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby gaud » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:31 pm

gdane wrote:Just apply. Can't hurt.


Yup.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:38 pm

I think OP actually has pretty good odds depending on race. Data shows that 1L performance of URM students is generally worse than other students, and it is likely that firms will prefer an above median t-30 student over a bottom quartile t-14 student (which over 1/2 of URM's are). I don't want to get into discussing the merits of the system, but utilizing the system that is in place OP objectively has a better chance than many might assume.

heymom
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: 1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby heymom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks for the advice guys I think I will just list the GPA. Also, one more clarification my school does GPA out of 100 points so it isn't the traditional out of 4.0 Scale, will that cause confusion or is that ok?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:58 pm

heymom wrote:Thanks for the advice guys I think I will just list the GPA. Also, one more clarification my school does GPA out of 100 points so it isn't the traditional out of 4.0 Scale, will that cause confusion or is that ok?

Same AP as above. Firms normally have GPA graphs they take for each school. Depending on your school and whether it's in a school's region it may make sense to include evidence of your class rank if your school permits this. For instance, many schools don't "officially rank" so it's a violation of school policy to guesstimate your rank (even conservatively). If you're Notre Dame for Chicago or Fordham for NYC then all the firms will calculate your points. If not it may be slightly troublesome because it's uncertain how much work they will put in to identify one applicant's class rank when they probably have thousands of applications for every available slot.

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: 1L Firm Chances URM Top 40% at T30

Postby crit_racer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Any firm in your state is going to have attorneys from your school since it's a T1 in that market. They know how your grades work. List your GPA, not your rank, and just apply.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.