CCN top 25% - chance at 1L SA without diversity

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CCN top 25% - chance at 1L SA without diversity

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Does top 25% at CCN have a shot at 1L SA without diversity?

thesealocust

Re: CCN top 25% - chance at 1L SA without diversity

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Not in any major market.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Whelp you are either Columbia or NYU because we don't have grades at Chicago yet

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:53 pm

There is a humongous amount of information on this and yet every single year 1Ls insist on applying to firms for 1L SAs. Don't bother unless you are a minority or from Texas. It is a waste of time otherwise. Mail the applications if you must, but don't spend more than a few hours on that mail merge. Just do what everyone else does and get your judicial internship or your (honestly preferable) public interest org/government internship, take your federal work study money, and be done with the process so you can focus on second semester.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:01 pm

Nelson wrote:There is a humongous amount of information on this and yet every single year 1Ls insist on applying to firms for 1L SAs. Don't bother unless you are a minority or from Texas. It is a waste of time otherwise. Mail the applications if you must, but don't spend more than a few hours on that mail merge. Just do what everyone else does and get your judicial internship or your (honestly preferable) public interest org/government internship, take your federal work study money, and be done with the process so you can focus on second semester.

Actually I am also diverse but most firms don't have diversity fellowships. Wondering if I should apply to those as well..

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nelson wrote:There is a humongous amount of information on this and yet every single year 1Ls insist on applying to firms for 1L SAs. Don't bother unless you are a minority or from Texas. It is a waste of time otherwise. Mail the applications if you must, but don't spend more than a few hours on that mail merge. Just do what everyone else does and get your judicial internship or your (honestly preferable) public interest org/government internship, take your federal work study money, and be done with the process so you can focus on second semester.

Actually I am also diverse but most firms don't have diversity fellowships. Wondering if I should apply to those as well..

Then you should be hitting all firms hard. Focus on any diversity position and make yourself clearly diverse on your non-diversity apps (through cover letter/resume). Diversity apps do not really care about grades at all unless they're terrible, which yours are not. Mail as widely as possible and do a good job this summer. It's a load off your loans and a nice hedge against a grade drop.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm a white guy and was top 15% at a T2 and got a 1L summer with a midsize firm. I know a LOT of people from my T2 who were not diverse and had firms. Its not easy, but its not the craziest thing ever. TLS sometimes goes overboard with the pessimism and realities. I can think of 4 people who had 1L in-house at major companies when TLS was spewing all sorts of "In House is impossible as a 1L, just doesn't happen!" BS. The point is, apply wherever you can and hope for the best. The firm I worked for advertised that they were coming to spring OCI, I applied, was the first person to interview on the first day, and ended up with the spot. Its possible, don't listen to extremes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:30 pm

It's possible. I know someone personally at CCN around that rank that got a 1L SA at a V50, and I'm fairly sure it was not a diversity spot. I also know of non-diversity applicants getting callbacks/offers from Cravath as 1Ls at HYS. Both were in NYC.

However, non-diversity 1L SAs are still extremely rare and you will probably not get one even with stellar grades. Definitely not worth the time to customize cover letters at all.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:31 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

I'm a white guy and was top 15% at a T2 and got a 1L summer with a midsize firm. I know a LOT of people from my T2 who were not diverse and had firms. Its not easy, but its not the craziest thing ever. TLS sometimes goes overboard with the pessimism and realities. I can think of 4 people who had 1L in-house at major companies when TLS was spewing all sorts of "In House is impossible as a 1L, just doesn't happen!" BS. The point is, apply wherever you can and hope for the best. The firm I worked for advertised that they were coming to spring OCI, I applied, was the first person to interview on the first day, and ended up with the spot. Its possible, don't listen to extremes.

Meh, you're probably right if "mid-sized" firms in secondary markets are what we're talking about. I don't have a lot of experience in that realm. If he's a CCN 1L, I guarantee you he's not applying to 50 or fewer attorney firms in secondary midwestern firms.

In house is kind of whatever to me. It depends on where and what position you're talking about.

My answer wasn't challenging your situation, it was responding to the situation of most T14 1Ls who are blanketing the Vault firms with generic cover letters.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:00 am

Cravath has resorted to hiring 1Ls?

Holy shit that's TTT.

Unironically CravaTTTh.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:08 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:25 am

Token numbers relative to 2Ls, often for things like particular language skills, diversity, etc.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:27 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:00 am

Does non-diverse top 25% HYS (well, HS, Yalies don't have grades) have a shot?

papercut

Postby papercut » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:38 am

Is diversity at law firms the same as URM in admissions, or is it broader?

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 am

papercut wrote:Is diversity at law firms the same as URM in admissions, or is it broader?

It is probably narrower. Law firms tend to have broad diversity definitions and have affinity groups or internal diversity programs that cater to those groups. However, their pipeline diversity programs tend to favor facially diverse candidates from under-represented cultural minority groups (e.g. AA and MA) and disfavor broad-based or over-represented minority groups (e.g. Asians, Women).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:29 am

daryldixon wrote:
papercut wrote:Is diversity at law firms the same as URM in admissions, or is it broader?

It is probably narrower. Law firms tend to have broad diversity definitions and have affinity groups or internal diversity programs that cater to those groups. However, their pipeline diversity programs tend to favor facially diverse candidates from under-represented cultural minority groups (e.g. AA and MA) and disfavor broad-based or over-represented minority groups (e.g. Asians, Women).

It varies wildly by firm. I know of instances where a (major market v100) "diversity" 1L was an ORM with great grades.

Law school admissions is pretty mechanical. Firm hiring rarely is.

Return to “Legal Employment”