Turned down SA Offer with firm...now I want a re-do.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NetflixOnYoCouch

Turned down SA Offer with firm...now I want a re-do.

Postby NetflixOnYoCouch » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:22 pm

So I turned down a SA offer in the fall from a firm in NYC, citing that I wanted to be in a different market (this firm did not have an office in that market). The firm that I have chosen to summer with does have an NYC office.

My question is...if circumstances have changed (its nothing as legitimate as a spouse getting a job or something like that, I had a long term gf in my home market but we have broken up) and I now want to be in NYC, what are my options?

I would think I am stuck in this other market for this summer, but perhaps I can try to switch locations after? Is it out of the question to contact the firm I turned down and let them know I would prefer to summer with them?

goldeneye

Re: Turned down SA Offer with firm...now I want a re-do.

Postby goldeneye » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:14 pm

NetflixOnYoCouch wrote:So I turned down a SA offer in the fall from a firm in NYC, citing that I wanted to be in a different market (this firm did not have an office in that market). The firm that I have chosen to summer with does have an NYC office.

My question is...if circumstances have changed (its nothing as legitimate as a spouse getting a job or something like that, I had a long term gf in my home market but we have broken up) and I now want to be in NYC, what are my options?

I would think I am stuck in this other market for this summer, but perhaps I can try to switch locations after? Is it out of the question to contact the firm I turned down and let them know I would prefer to summer with them?

The first firm ship has sailed. They won't just take you now because they hired somebody to fill your spot.

NetflixOnYoCouch

Postby NetflixOnYoCouch » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:37 am

Alternatively, is it too late to ask my firm if I can split?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:44 am

When I rejected certain firms and used the excuse of a different market, firms said things like "okay well if you ever want to come back to NY give us a call." I don't think it's impossible, but it probably wouldn't be easy. Why not give it a shot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:When I rejected certain firms and used the excuse of a different market, firms said things like "okay well if you ever want to come back to NY give us a call." I don't think it's impossible, but it probably wouldn't be easy. Why not give it a shot?

Same here.

I agree that it's worth bringing up.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:33 am

How big is your firm? If it is a large firm, I would finish your SA, get an offer in hand, and then tell them that you'd like to explore the possibility of starting in the NY office instead for whatever reason. Get the offer first. You may also stand a chance at 3L recruiting if you pull good grades through your 2L year and have a legitimate reason for wanting to change markets. When I went through the process this summer, many of the largest NYC firms were actively hiring 3Ls who had already received offers from their summer firms.

NetflixOnYoCouch

Postby NetflixOnYoCouch » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:21 pm

OutCold wrote:How big is your firm? If it is a large firm, I would finish your SA, get an offer in hand, and then tell them that you'd like to explore the possibility of starting in the NY office instead for whatever reason. Get the offer first. You may also stand a chance at 3L recruiting if you pull good grades through your 2L year and have a legitimate reason for wanting to change markets. When I went through the process this summer, many of the largest NYC firms were actively hiring 3Ls who had already received offers from their summer firms.

Thanks for the responses. It is a large firm, based in NYC.

I think that getting the offer and then asking is probably the best route. Though I think I will contact firms that offered me in NYC.

What about asking to split? Is it too late for that?

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:53 pm

NetflixOnYoCouch wrote:
OutCold wrote:How big is your firm? If it is a large firm, I would finish your SA, get an offer in hand, and then tell them that you'd like to explore the possibility of starting in the NY office instead for whatever reason. Get the offer first. You may also stand a chance at 3L recruiting if you pull good grades through your 2L year and have a legitimate reason for wanting to change markets. When I went through the process this summer, many of the largest NYC firms were actively hiring 3Ls who had already received offers from their summer firms.

I think that getting the offer and then asking is probably the best route. Though I think I will contact firms that offered me in NYC.

I can't really speak to splitting because I never asked. However, the reason I didn't ask is because I was told that one of the very few people that was no-offered the previous summer firm-wide ran into an issue where they didn't make a good impression at one office, and did not have the opportunity to develop enough of a relationship at the other office to keep him/her afloat. There are plenty of people who have no trouble with a split summer, but I wanted to offer in hand before I made any moves.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:36 pm

NetflixOnYoCouch wrote:

Don't split. That will give you 5-6 weeks at the firm, versus 10-12 weeks. This will give you the opportunity to establish connections at the law firm. And if you mess up on a project, you will have time to recover. If you already have multiple offers from NYC firms, it sounds like you are a hott commodity and may be able to trade up or lateral to a NYC firm during 3L hiring.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:54 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:07 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:35 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”