Seeking Advice on Job Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ace22

Seeking Advice on Job Offer

Postby Ace22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:39 pm

I'm looking for advice on a recent job offer.

In my current job I run the satellite office of an out-of-state firm (small law). I make $90K, have no boss looking over me, and have decent hours. The problem is that I did not receive a raise this year and my office, though more profitable, is still the "step-child" because it's not headquarters.

A local small law firm recently offered me $100K, with a more structured bonus schedule and "guaranteed" raises each year. My concern is that the more immediate increase in pay may not offset what I could make down the road if I build my own client base in my current job.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan 14

Re: Seeking Advice on Job Offer

Postby Jan 14 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 pm

No boss overlooking you. You win. Stay.
How exactly does that no-boss arrangement happen? Short of being with the firm for X+ years.

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Could you let your current firm know about the job offer? Use it as a bargaining chip for a raise?

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:11 pm

Have you asked for a raise or bonus? I know it may be awkward, but since you're not at the main office there is a chance that you're simply not on their radar. Just mention that you like the job but wonder if there is much opportunity for pay raises or bonuses. If they seem reluctant to compensate you appropriately, then the other job might make sense.

Return to “Legal Employment”