For reciprocity "time practiced" requirements, do clerkships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jd20132013

For reciprocity "time practiced" requirements, do clerkships

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Count?

For example, if a state requires you to have practiced for five years to waive in, would two years of clerking count as "practicing"?
I'd think they would but was unsure.

Never mind, the answer is yes. I guess I'll leave this up in case anyone searches in the future.

anonymous2012

Re: For reciprocity "time practiced" requirements, do clerkships

Postby anonymous2012 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:36 pm

I think you are generally correct, but I seem to recall one or more states specifically excluding time spent as a judicial law clerk. I may be wrong, but people should independently verify. NCBE may have a table on this, actually.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:13 am

I totally can't prove this is universal, but I've done a little searching and I can't find any state that doesn't count time as a judicial law clerk as the practice of law. Now, many states do require you to be an "active" member of the jurisdiction in which you're barred, and you don't have to be "active" to clerk - you could go inactive, in which case presumably your time clerking wouldn't count. But as long as you're active, and full-time, I don't see any evidence that clerking doesn't count.

anonymous2012

Postby anonymous2012 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:26 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I totally can't prove this is universal, but I've done a little searching and I can't find any state that doesn't count time as a judicial law clerk as the practice of law. Now, many states do require you to be an "active" member of the jurisdiction in which you're barred, and you don't have to be "active" to clerk - you could go inactive, in which case presumably your time clerking wouldn't count. But as long as you're active, and full-time, I don't see any evidence that clerking doesn't count.

The NCBE table on admission by motion suggests differently for a couple states. I am too lazy to verify, but one would think that the table is correct.

http://www.ncbex.org/assets/media_files ... pGuide.pdf

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Yeah, I looked at that. I still don't see anything that suggests clerking doesn't count as practice - all the states that allow admission by motion (reciprocity) only require active practice of law in the jurisdiction of admission for whatever length of time. Now, not all states offer admission by motion, and of the states that generally don't, some of them make exceptions for certain categories of practitioners (such as law professors or in-house counsel). So the states that make exceptions to the "no reciprocity" rule don't make exceptions for judicial law clerks (along with a lot of other kinds of lawyers), but that's not the same thing as saying clerking doesn't count for states that do offer reciprocity. I mean, the term judicial law clerk only appears once in the document, in a different context. But I could be missing something.

anonymous2012

Postby anonymous2012 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 am

Chart 11 indicates otherwise for a few states but my cursory review says that it's incorrect in those cases.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Hmm. I thought "judicial court of record" meant judges.

Return to “Legal Employment”