Any graduating 3Ls have their start dates yet?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Re: Any graduating 3Ls have their start dates yet?

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do most NYC BigLaw firms reimburse the $250 bar fee, or just cover the bar courses? "Ask recruiting," I know. But they've mentioned courses and not that, so I'm guessing the answer is no and am coming to TLS to avoid that awkward interaction.

It's not an awkward interaction unless you have trouble taking "no" for an answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Bingham start date 1/12/2015. They told us Jan start date at the end of the summer, so no surprise.

Dafaq

Postby Dafaq » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Everyone I know will take the bar immediately after graduation and start at the firm upon admittance to the bar. Projected start date is the beginning of September.

Firm pays the bar fee and the roughly $5K for Barbri.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:53 pm

I don't think OP ever shared, but Quinn start dates came out shortly after this post went up. Start dates are office-specific, and I can't speak for the East Coast, but for the California offices associates got to pick between dates in September and October.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:06 am

Any more updates on when people are starting? I still haven't heard anything from my firm, and don't know when I can start making bar trip plans. Is it typical to get start dates in April? May? June?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:39 pm

Clifford Chance - Sept 15
Dechert - Sept 15
White and Case - mid-Oct

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:21 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Any more updates on when people are starting? I still haven't heard anything from my firm, and don't know when I can start making bar trip plans. Is it typical to get start dates in April? May? June?

Similar question as this poster -- I've looked at some past threads and there's often a gap in dates so I can't really tell what's normal in terms of people finding out. I heard DPW also received dates, but I don't work there so I'm not sure what they are. Do most Vault firms have their dates out already? Is there a time to start worrying about deferrals if yours hasn't?

Dafaq

Postby Dafaq » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:04 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Any more updates on when people are starting? I still haven't heard anything from my firm, and don't know when I can start making bar trip plans. Is it typical to get start dates in April? May? June?

You should have heard back in November. Does it not spell it out in your compensation letter?

One thing my letter did not provide was if my Sept start date was dependent on knowing the bar results. Important to some of us (like me) because if the bar results delay my start date by a month it means $12K out the window. What's the thinking on this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Dafaq wrote:

You should have heard back in November. Does it not spell it out in your compensation letter?

One thing my letter did not provide was if my Sept start date was dependent on knowing the bar results. Important to some of us (like me) because if the bar results delay my start date by a month it means $12K out the window. What's the thinking on this?

My V25 firm didn't even provide a compensation letter. Still don't know my start date.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Dafaq wrote:

My V25 firm didn't even provide a compensation letter. Still don't know my start date.

Same situation at my V100. I don't think the lack of a letter is necessarily anything to worry about given that it's at-will employment regardless, and I really doubt from reading past TLS posts that many firms give you a start date in November.

That said, given the Brown Rudnick thing and ITE, it would be nice to hear soon to know whether deferrals will be an issue.

-6:21 anon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:03 pm

Mid/Late Sept. - Knobbe Martens

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:31 pm

Hmm... is anyone else still waiting on their start date? How paranoid should I be getting if I'm being told it is forthcoming but this is coming from the personnel dept of a pretty reputable V30.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:23 am

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm at a secondary market branch of a V15 firm and I haven't confirmed mine, either. Although that comes with the caveat that the firm said we would have some discretion to choose one from a set of dates.

Return to “Legal Employment”